Firearm enthusiast thread

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Well…I normally keep a firearm "on the radar" that I want to move to next. After diving into the whole SBR/Illinois mess and this SIG brace crap…pursuing that CZ Scorpion EVO + SIG brace combo seems pretty out for now. As a pistol, I think that Scorpion is pretty limp. Without the SIG brace, I really don't want to look into it.

So, I started thinking. At the moment I do not have a good long distance 1-200 yd rifle. I've alway had the M1A on my radar so I went yesterday and looked at them. With the 18" Scout running $1550, the SOCOM 16 running $1700 and the full length loaded running $1400…I decided it was a pass. By the time I added a good scope, I'd be well over $2K and I don't currently have any .308.

So…moving on…

I figured a good, bench rifle in .223 may be a good move. It's not going to be a 500yd tach driver…but truth be told, I don't even have a place to stretch out 500 yds.

So I looked at this:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/centerfire-tactical/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

It seems I can pick up one of these online for $579. For under $1200, I could add a nice Burris 4.5-14x42mm for $300 and a good mount. I'm guessing this setup would shoot better than I can…

Any thoughts on this?

*EDIT*
Another forum member turned me on to the CZ 527 American…that may also be another good choice...

I have a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 that my gunsmith buddy tricked out for me. I have it zeroed for 200 yards and have taken many deer over the past 10 years with it. I can put 19/20 center of chest on a steel plate torso target at 300 yards. It's a lot of fun to shoot. :)

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Take my fucking money, please.

@Hellion - I'd take a Saiga 9.

I know right? They won't be available for another year but I want one in a bad way. I'd really like 9mm too.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Man.......

You know, sometimes things are easy, sometime things are hard. Scopes...yeah, that's a hard one to navigate. Power? MIL-MOA? Objective size? Reticle size? First focal plane? Second focal plane? Capped adjustments? Exposed adjustments?

Good grief...my freaking head hurts. I use the internet often to sort out reviews of items and with enough time, the truth always comes out. You sort out the haters, the morons, the bigots, the apologists...eventually, you come to the point.

This scope shit is almost dead nut 50-50. Some will not even breathe on a scope less than $750-1000 stating a $400 scope of any make is junk and "buy once, cry once". Some will say that spending $1000 on a scope to drive steel at 1-200 yds is pointless. Some will say brand A is shit and B is awesome, others will say brand A is awesome and B is shit...zero consistency.

So...my findings. After days and days and DAYS of staying up until 12 to 1 am reading reviews, testimonials and bouncing back and forth...I think I have my plan. For my sanity...I need to "lock" this one in and move on.

So...scope. Vortex Diamondback HD 3-12x42 ($399):
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-hp-3-12x42-riflescope-with-v-plex-moa-reticle

Mount...Aero Percision ultralight ($90):
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=65

So...that means my current shit has to go. Obviously, I'm going to have to stick with the 16" CAR gas-length AR for now because I don't want to dick with a new barrel. BUT...that drop-in MI quad rail and A2 sight post is going to have to go.
Current:
image_zps72a736e8.jpg

I'm going to stick with everything else, including the adjustable stock. I don't want to static the LOP just for me if other people will be shooting this (which they will). The muzzle brake is also very nice and functional so no change there.

So...new rail...going with the same Seekins MCSR V2 MOD RAIL I have on my AR pistol, it is EXTREMELY well made and lightweight ($200):
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/mcsr-v2-mod-rail.html

...and to top it off...a decent gas block...so maybe $50 for an adjustable.

So scope + mount + rail + gas block = might as well say $800.

With that much $$ in, my current setup is going to go, I'm not going to swap shit back and forth after doing a zero on that scope. So, selling the EOTech EXPS 2-0, magnifier and MI rail...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In a Republican congress with a presidential election in 2016?

No more new gun laws will be coming unless the Repubs show their true statist colors. For now they'll maintain the facade of being for gun rights.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Found a Remington model 11 at the gun show today.
Price was good, gun was a little rough. Barrel had been cut down.
Just about the perfect candidate for a project.
I didn't buy it. :(
Guy who had it is a regular seller at the shows, if he still has it next time I go I might make him an offer.
Look very much like THIS one.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well…done and done, going to try to turn the AR into a 1-300yd tack driver. I really kicked around the idea of going to a Seekins 18" .223 wylde 1:8 stainless barrel but for now, I'm passing and going to try to see what I can accomplish with the stock barrel. 16" RRA HBAR 5.56 1:9. I sold the EOTech and move to some other optics...

Ok…what did I get…here goes:

Scope- Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 BDC reticle:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-hp-3-12x42-riflescope-with-v-plex-moa-reticle

Scope mount- Aero Precision extended:
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=65

Handguard- Seekins SP3R V3 MOD RAIL 15":
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/handguards/sp3rv3-mod-rail-16.html

Muzzle brake- Fortis RED nitride:
http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-red-brake-556-nitride-rapid-engagement-device

Gas block- VLTOR Clamp On Gas Block:
https://www.vltor.com/shop/gas-blocks/gb-clamp-on-set-screw/

So…hopefully I'll get this stuff on this weekend…I'm pretty excited.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
All my parts came in...going to hopefully get it assembled tomorrow. If this setup works well...I'm contemplating sending the entire thing off the be coated. Have a look at the bottom rifle in foliage green:

uc_grendel.jpg

That combo is damn near perfect:
-Upper, lower, grip, handguard, buttstock in foliage green.
-Buffer tube (+castle nut), barrel, comp, scope, scope-mount in black.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok…finished for now. It really took some time getting that Seekins rail level with the rifle, but I finally got it. I'm not overly impressed with the UTG bi-pod so it may be replaced…we'll see. The scope is level and torqued down and all I need to do now is sight it in at 100yds:
DSCN2878_zpsdeefe019.jpg

AR pistol/rifle:
DSCN2891_zps08653069.jpg

I am surprised at how much I like that 3x magnifier on the pistol…I have actually found it much more useful than when I had it originally on the rifle. I just works on that thing and the swim to side works excessively well without upsetting the balance of the rifle.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Nice, congrats. Not a glock fan myself but I can appreciate them

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I'm not either (damn grip angle)...but to deny them is dumb. Glocks are reliable as the new day, for the most part, they always have been. Always a good choice.

On top of that...most here know I'm a 9mm fanboy...

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I was doing some cleaning and digging at my mother's house and came across my old S&W Model 41 I used as a kid.
Still in decent shape after not being cared for in 20 years.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Trying to decide between a Ruger SR1911 Commander Series or a Desert Eagle 1911C. Both stainless of course.

Thoughts? Comments?

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

I'm not either (damn grip angle)...but to deny them is dumb. Glocks are reliable as the new day, for the most part, they always have been. Always a good choice.

On top of that...most here know I'm a 9mm fanboy...

Thanks. It seemed to be the most practical for my needs. I purchased two IWB holsters from comfortholsters.com as well. I'll post some pics once they arrive. The gel backing seems like a novel idea.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Why the 26 over the 19?
Did you just need the conceal ability?
Personally I think the 19 is just about the perfect do all size.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Trying to decide between a Ruger SR1911 Commander Series or a Desert Eagle 1911C. Both stainless of course.

Thoughts? Comments?

Of those two, I'd probably go for the ruger.
No real reason save for if you have a problem ruger will take care of it.
No idea how IWI would handle it, hell, I didn't even know IWI was even making a 1911 pistol.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Why the 26 over the 19?
Did you just need the conceal ability?
Personally I think the 19 is just about the perfect do all size.

I usually wear fitted clothing so keeping it hidden is important to me. But first and foremost I wanted a sub compact that shoots like a full-size, without much compromise. Also being able to use larger clips from a 19 and such is a nice plus.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Of those two, I'd probably go for the ruger.
No real reason save for if you have a problem ruger will take care of it.
No idea how IWI would handle it, hell, I didn't even know IWI was even making a 1911 pistol.

Thanks for the reply. I love Ruger but decided to go with the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911c Stainless Steel and here's why:

1. Made in Israel. Israel makes everything better than the U.S. Their stuff is top notch. U.S. Military even sends out their Spec Ops guys to their schools. They are perfectionists at everything.
2. The Desert Eagle 1911 is rare. Everbody has a Ruger. This thing is next to impossible to find, especially in stainless and in the "Commander Size".
3. The trigger that Magnum Research put on this thing is out of this world and is in a class of its own even when compared to a 1911 twice its price.
4. It's a "Desert Eagle"

All that being said, the Ruger SR1911 Commander is a fine pistol and stands it's own ground. However, I just couldn't be persuaded due to the above reasons. For myself, the DE1911CSS is the pistol for me.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Eh, so long as it runs & you're happy with it is all that really matters.
When I bought my M1911 I bought a Colt.
Because, Colt.
Can't tell you how many times folks ask me why I didn't get a
Springfield or a Kimber.
I always respond the same, if I had wanted a Kimber or Springfield I would have bought one.
I wanted the Colt, so I bought one.

Man that picture looks like I took it with a potato. I should really update it.

Edit: that's slightly better... I guess...

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I like it. :)

Colt is THE 1911. I like your kind of thinking.

I'll post pics of my DE when I get it.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I like my RIA 1911 because It so perfectly describes how things work in America:

An American (John Moses Browning) designs something revolutionary, has it produced by an American Company (Colt)...and then the design is copied ad infinitum, the labor outsourced, and it gets produced cheaper overseas (in my case the Philippines.)

Only way mine would be better is if it was a Norinco :emb:

But yeah, love dat COLT.