Firearm enthusiast thread

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Went out to the range/shop this morning to try out a couple handguns. Since we're doing Christmas shopping early this year, I was looking to pick up either a 9mm or .40 S&W of some sort.

Tested:

CZ 75 B in .40 S&W: Maybe because it was a rental gun, but I did not like firing it. The trigger felt gritty like as if it was broken. SRO came by and stated that's the normal feel for the CZ 75.

Sig Sauer P226: Liked the gun very much, but Channel Maniac was right about the trigger. After that first DA pull, you have to ride the trigger back to get the single action function to kick in. This will probably be something that I'll have to get used to. In the past, I fired the P226 in full DA shots between rounds. It's almost as if you need to find the sweet spot and get used to it.

Ruger SR9c/SR9c SR40c /SR40: I tried both the compact and the full versions of the 9mm and .40S&W . Fell in love with both .40 cal variants. I also found that the full version was less snappier than the SR40c. The sight adjustments could be made easily and the gun felt perfect in my hands.

I ended up taking home the SR40 (after having a field day at the range). Price wise, it didn't break the bank. Since I live in CT, we can't have the 15 capacity mags. They did throw in an addition mag in for free.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What's you thoughts on this:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4X_Compact_Prism_Scope_p/pac4x.htm

I'm still smacking around what to do with my rifle and plopping down $300 or so for a magnifier to add to an EOTech seems like a silly idea. I could buy this for $260, pop it on my AR rifle, move the EXPS 2-0 to my pistol and move the 517 back to my M&P 15-22. All for the same price of having a magnifier + 517 on my AR, the EXPS on the pistol and being SOL on the 15-22...

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I really like the idea behind fixed power scopes.
They tend to be a bit smaller & lighter, also less to break.
That one has an etched reticule, which is awesome.
I want to move my trs25 to the 870 & pick up a prism scope
like that one for my go fast AR (mostly due to a slight astigmatism I have). I just keep waffling between a low power, like 1.5x or 2x
& something with a little more reach like 3-4x.
I think it's Burris has one on the market now that's straight 1x, etched reticule, AA battery & built-in mout for around $275. I would love to play with one of those.
The reason the etched reticule is important to me is the sight will still work with a dead battery.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
That SR40 is a nice pistol! I have the SR40c for a conceal carry in the winter time. It's big but easy to conceal under a sweater.

Sigs are strange on the trigger feel. LONG pull the first time. After that you move your finger forward just enough to reset so you can pull the trigger. You don't take it all the way forward and that's a weird feeling until you get used to it. I didn't like it.

I picked up a couple more toys recently. I got a $500 award at work and the new system is all gift cards. Luckily I can get Cabela's cards so I gave my son a $25 card to D&B and I got $475 at Cabela's. I walked out the door with a Kahr CW40, the Galco IWB holster, and a box of hollow points for $12.09 out of my pocket. It has a monster trigger pull on it but once you get used to that it's really sweet. I was banging the 10" gong over and over at 15 yards which is really awesome for such a small pistol with a huge hole at the end. :)

The other toy is a DPMS LR-308. I put a Rock River Arms scope mount and a Leupold 3-9x40 VX I on it. It's going to be my pig hunting rifle and I need to run over to my gunsmith buddy's house to pick up some handloads he put together for me. $1059 plus tax at Academy.

I'm setting up a reloading bench in the garage soon. I think I have everything I need except for a nice wooden desk.

I still need to finish my 2nd AR build. I need the barrel extender, carbine barrel, barrel nut, front sight, front sight post, and the roll pin for the gas tube. I have the Delta ring stuff, gas tube, and standard handguards already.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...what a cascading pile of shit this "scope" upgrade has been...

One thing leads to the next and so on...

So...I've been doing some reading on scopes. I guess you can't get a proper cheek weld with a scope mounted at lower 1/3 co-witness height. The problem is that my AR rifle has a damn A2 front sight post...something I've disliked all along. So...if I mount a scope at proper height, I'll be looking at a damn giant sight post right in the middle of it.

So that leads me to looking at a new, low profile gas block (and getting it installed...I don't know enough to fuck with removing that thing now do I have all the tools necessary to do it). So call that +$150 or so.

That leads to question #2...my rifle's handguard. I have a Midwest Industries 2-piece drop in handguard. This one here:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_Industries_2_Piece_Tactical_Handguard_p/mctar-17-g2.htm

I currently have a delta ring setup...which if I'm going to go through the pain of installing a new gas block, I might as well shed and go free float:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_Industries_T_Series_Mid_Length_9_In_Free_F_p/mi-t9g2.htm

So tack on another $140...

Then I have to get the scope/mount...which at this point, I'm looking at this one here:

http://www.gggaz.com/leupold-vx-r-1.25-4x20-patrol-rifle-scope.html

Yeah...$700 -w- a quick detach mount.

So...$150 + $140 + $700...yeah...$1K...

In other words...fuck that. I like my AR and all...but I'm not plopping another $1K into that rifle...lord knows I already have $1500 or so in it NOT including the EOTECH currently mounted on it...

I'm going to get the magnifier, keep the EOTech on the AR and move on...

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
That SR40 is a nice pistol! I have the SR40c for a conceal carry in the winter time. It's big but easy to conceal under a sweater.

Sigs are strange on the trigger feel. LONG pull the first time. After that you move your finger forward just enough to reset so you can pull the trigger. You don't take it all the way forward and that's a weird feeling until you get used to it. I didn't like it.

I picked up a couple more toys recently. I got a $500 award at work and the new system is all gift cards. Luckily I can get Cabela's cards so I gave my son a $25 card to D&B and I got $475 at Cabela's. I walked out the door with a Kahr CW40, the Galco IWB holster, and a box of hollow points for $12.09 out of my pocket. It has a monster trigger pull on it but once you get used to that it's really sweet. I was banging the 10" gong over and over at 15 yards which is really awesome for such a small pistol with a huge hole at the end. :).

Is it just me or does Cabela's seem to over price their items closer to MSRP? The SR40 was going for $499 over at Cabela's while local shops had them for $379-$450.

Once I get back home, I'm going to check out the .45 model. Would love to get a decent .45 and have been leaning towards a 1911 of some sort.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Wow...what a cascading pile of shit this "scope" upgrade has been...

One thing leads to the next and so on...

So...I've been doing some reading on scopes. I guess you can't get a proper cheek weld with a scope mounted at lower 1/3 co-witness height. The problem is that my AR rifle has a damn A2 front sight post...something I've disliked all along. So...if I mount a scope at proper height, I'll be looking at a damn giant sight post right in the middle of it.

So that leads me to looking at a new, low profile gas block (and getting it installed...I don't know enough to fuck with removing that thing now do I have all the tools necessary to do it). So call that +$150 or so.

That leads to question #2...my rifle's handguard. I have a Midwest Industries 2-piece drop in handguard. This one here:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_Industries_2_Piece_Tactical_Handguard_p/mctar-17-g2.htm

I currently have a delta ring setup...which if I'm going to go through the pain of installing a new gas block, I might as well shed and go free float:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_Industries_T_Series_Mid_Length_9_In_Free_F_p/mi-t9g2.htm

So tack on another $140...

Then I have to get the scope/mount...which at this point, I'm looking at this one here:

http://www.gggaz.com/leupold-vx-r-1.25-4x20-patrol-rifle-scope.html

Yeah...$700 -w- a quick detach mount.

So...$150 + $140 + $700...yeah...$1K...

In other words...fuck that. I like my AR and all...but I'm not plopping another $1K into that rifle...lord knows I already have $1500 or so in it NOT including the EOTECH currently mounted on it...

I'm going to get the magnifier, keep the EOTech on the AR and move on...

Anything over about 2x and you won't notice the fsb in the scope.
Scopes don't co-witnesses anyway.
You could save some money by just cutting down the a2 front sight instead of replacing it.
Some of the free float rails don't require a specific barrel nut either.
I do believe the troy alpha just bolts to the standard barrel nut. You. An just cut off the existing
delta ring & springs.
No real need to remove the barrel if you really don't want to.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The front sight is pinned to the barrel. Get a set of brass punches and a small brass hammer to remove it. Don't forget to drive out the pin that holds the gas tube in place first.

The pins on the front site may be slightly cone shaped. Drive them out by tapping on the smaller side.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Is it just me or does Cabela's seem to over price their items closer to MSRP? The SR40 was going for $499 over at Cabela's while local shops had them for $379-$450.

Once I get back home, I'm going to check out the .45 model. Would love to get a decent .45 and have been leaning towards a 1911 of some sort.

I've found their prices to be comparable to others when they run their sales. Both of the pistols I bought from them were on sale at the time of purchase but that didn't have any bearing on my purchases. I went by the feel of the weapon in my hand. The Kahr CW40 and the Ruger SR40c both fit my hands very well and feel comfortable to hold and shoot.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...the AR pistol is going on a diet...for some reason, in my mind, an AR pistol should not be hefty. I'm going to change up some of the stuff over the winter as I build funds.

I weighed it last night and as-is, it came in at 6.40 lbs. The KAK + SIG brace alone was 18.05oz. I replaced that with a paracord wrapped buffer tube, which weighed in at 8oz. The EOTech is also a pig at 13.7oz, I'm selling it to a buddy for $400 and replacing it with this:

http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-micro-t-1-2moam4-qd-mount-combo

By what I understand, the LaRue LT660 mount + Aimpoint T-1 is just under 6oz (5.80), so that shaves another 8oz.

The buffer tube and optic should be a 18 or so oz savings.

I'm going to remove that handguard and gas block as well...so far I have this in mind:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Seekins_Precision_MCSR_V2_Modular_Rail_9_p/sp0010530003.htm

They make a 7" and 9"...I need to do some measuring to see how far I want to tuck the flash hider. I'm leaning towards the 9" at the moment.

We'll see...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Any plans for the kak tube & Sig brace?

The SIG brace is pending sale at the moment. The KAK I wrapped in para cord (ill post a pic of it once I finish the pistol). The KAK is ideal for shouldering due to it's being longer than a standard buffer tube.

BTW...I ordered the front rail and a low profile gas block last night. I went with the 7" instead of the 9". The 9" would have consumed the barrel completely. With the 7", about 1" of the flash hider should protrude. I think it's going to look pretty bad ass…

*EDIT*

Uggg…this is getting to be an expensive weekend…picked up this deal:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_LER_Red_Dot_Magnifier_Gen_III_p/pa3xlergeniii.htm

Gonna pop this fella on my AR rifle. Got the magnifier and a flip-to-side mount for $158 shipped, that's a screaming deal. By what I understand, Primary Arms makes good stuff too...

Last edited:

HellioN

20 Year Member
I had a PA 1x4 scope for a while.
Only real complaint I had was the weight.
Well built for sure.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sold my EOTech 517 to a buddy...saving for that Aimpoint/LaRue QD mount combo now...

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Tax time can't come soon enough, y'all making me jealous

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok…update…

Here it is until I get the Aimpoint. Removed the SIG, wrapped the KAK in paracord, added a new gas block and Seekins rail. Shaved over a pound thus far…

DSCN2712_zps0191b8aa.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was a bit nervous swapping out the gas block on the pistol figuring the horror stories I've heard about gas timing on 7" pistols. Either way, took it out today and it ran flawlessly with everything from hot M855 5.56 to cheap Silver Bear .223. Took a "family pic" today of my current AR/variants:

DSCN2725_zps33ba1422.jpg

Kiel

20 Year Member
Ok…update…

Here it is until I get the Aimpoint. Removed the SIG, wrapped the KAK in paracord, added a new gas block and Seekins rail. Shaved over a pound thus far…

DSCN2712_zps0191b8aa.jpg

Man, that thing looks great

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Man, that thing looks great

Thanks...I guess this is the "vision" of what a AR pistol *COUGH SBR COUGH* should look like.

On a related note...this is a thread I started elsewhere:

I often have myself convinced that I need a firearm tool only to later find out that I don't. Case-in-point, I recently purchased my first AR pistol and before I even took delivery of it, dropped $125 on a SIG SB15. You know, cuz buttstock. Not having ever fired an AR pistol with bare buffer tube, I figured it would suck...so $125 later, I had myself a giant, heavy gun-dildo that did nothing but ugly up my clean pistol and help to make it a boat anchor. After shooting he pistol buffer tube only, I decided the SIG was 100% unnecessary and fire sold the SIG for $75. -$50 lesson I guess.

On to the point.

I originally had an EOTech 517 on the pistol. While I love the EOTech system, the 13oz weight really bogs down a firearm with a focus on weight and maneuverability. So...with the 100% intentions of getting an Aimpoint T-1/LaRue QD mount, I sold the EOTech to a buddy.

The $675 price of the T-1 combo forced me to wait a bit to get one. For now, I popped some Magpul MBUS sights on the pistol...

Now...the sole purpose of this firearm is <10 yds firing...period. I have a full length AR rifle for everything else so the purpose of this guy is to be used at close range (not that it isn't probably just fine to 100yds or so).

Either way, I took it out sunday after popping some parts on it and was surprised at how easy it was to shoot with just irons (or plastics...either way)...

This has really got me thinking...do I really need a $700 optic to plop on this gun? Am I once again thinking myself into something that I really do not need for a firearm of this type?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Aaaaannnddd...done.

Final setup:

Ar2dec14_zpsd39e214f.jpg

Began its life as a stock RRA 7" flat top pistol, added:

Magpul ASAP, BAD lever, MOE SL grip, MBUS sight set
RRA Drop-in two stage match trigger
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle
KAK SIG extrended buffer tube(wrapped in paracord)
Seekins aluminum mag release (that counts as one piece of flair BTW)
YHM low-profile gas block
Seekins 7" MCSR V2 MOD RAIL
Smith Vortex flash hider
LaRue LT660 QD sight mount
Primary Arms MD-ADS sight

Final weight is 5.70lbs unloaded.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Has anyone done the Remington 700 trigger recall yet? My 700 LTR qualifies apparently. Just wondering if the set screw adjustments are different or a special type.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1.........

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-pistol/

This thing will be mine...OH YES...I will be getting one of these as soon as I can (if I get get my hands on one come 2015).

As usual, it sucks we can't get the "real" version of this firearm...but we can get the pistol...AND they make a SIG SB15 brace kit for it (not a big fan of the SB15 but something to shoulder is better than nothing to shoulder).

I have a pile of 9mm NATO sitting just waiting for this fella...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...where are my brothers in arms? This place is a freaking ghost town.

Either way...I have some cheaper, add-on goodies coming next week including some ammo I'm going to screw with in the AR rifle. With the rifle having that 3x magnifier on it, I'm going to pop on a bipod and start rest shooting it to 100yds for now.

It has a 1:9 barrel so I bought some "better" ammo to try out for accuracy:

55gr Wold Gold:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-...em-55-grain-fmj-brass-case-non-magnetic-wolf-

69gr match by PPU:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm/20-rd-box-223-69-grain-bthp-match-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp57

69gr Sierra Match-king by Outback:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-o...9-grain-bthp-sierra-match-king-ammo-aob223smk

55gr Sierra Blitz-king by Outback:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-o...ack-55-grain-sierra-blitz-king-ammo-aob223sbk

I know none of these are top-tier...but neither is my rifle and I'm not shooting over 100yds at this point. Before this, I have been running 55gr M193, 55gr Fiocchi bulk and 55gr Silver Bear bulk more than anything else. My accuracy with them has been pretty mediocre with them...1.5" groups at best and that was with some 50gr Fiocchi loaded with Hornady V-Max. I'm curious to see what my 1:9 barrel will do with the 69gr stuff...that's pushing it...

Kiel

20 Year Member
I wish I had more to add to this rather than "that shit is awesome". A co-worker loaned me a reloading press and dies but I just have to get around to getting a digital caliper, decapping tool, bullets, primers, and powder...

I promise this year I''ll use my tax money to get that boberg and possibly a chiappa chino

Kiel

20 Year Member
I would also like to note that Beretta started making the brigadier models again so I have to dump some money on some of those too because I have a problem with trying to get all of the "hipster" versions of the 92