All about Samurai Shodown RPG: Tales of the Bushido

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Here's the skinny on the translation patch, since the original thread turned into a bit of a mess.

Q: What is this?
A: An English translation patch for the Samurai Spirits RPG.

Q: What platform is this going to be on?
A: Neo*Geo CD only.

Q: What about the Saturn and PSX versions?
A: I don't have the means to hack/translate either. The NeoCD is the best of the three, anyway.

Q: Is there going to be a cost?
A: No. The patch will be completely free of charge. If you are so inclined, however, you are welcome to donate by going here. No compensation is expected, though it is always appreciated.

Q: Is this compatible with Neo*Geo CD emulators?
A: Partially. The only version of Nebula that I can personally attest to working is 2.23a. It runs fine in NeoCD/PSP, as well.

Q: Which versions of the Neo*Geo CD will it work with?
A: The original front loading and top-loading 1x systems can be used without issue. For a CDZ, you will need to further patch the ISO to get around the copy protection.

Q: How do I do that?
A: I don't know, and the answers will not be provided in this FAQ. Do some research and ask around.

Q: I found a prepatched archive to make a copy of SSRPG work on the CDZ. Can I use this?
A: No. The translation patch has to modify the same files, and the use of that prepatched archive will break the translation.

Q: Can I betatest the patch?
A: No. I have beta testers already.

Q: When will this be released?
A: When it's completed. Not before.

Q: When will that be?
A: I don't know. I have a job, a wife, two stepkids, seven cats and a dog. This is a hobby.

Q: Are the original Japanese voices going to be left intact?
A: Yes, thanks to neo-geo.com's own Murray. Originally, for technical reasons, I had to leave them out of the Mizuki chapter. The text is precisely timed to display as the voices are heard, and the dialogue boxes are advanced automatically. So with the change to English text, I have to adjust the speed commands accordingly, or it falls out of sync, and everything comes off wrong. With Murray's help, that is no longer a live issue.

Q: You're not going to dub the game in English, are you? I hate dubs!
A: No.

Q: Does it matter what region my console is?
A: No. The patched game will always play in English, just as the unpatched one always plays in Japanese.

Q: What's the English title going to be?
A: "Samurai Shodown: Tales of the Bushido"

Q: Why are you calling it "Samurai Shodown" instead of "Samurai Spirits?"
A: Because the name of the series is "Samurai Shodown" outside of Japan. The translated name of this game will reflect that.

Q: But isn't "Samurai Spirits RPG" the actual title of the game?
A: No, the original title is "Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden." This translates more or less to "A new take on Samurai Spirits: A set of bushido stories."

Q: How accurate is the translation going to be?
A: This patch is going to be done up properly. The only Romaji you're going to see is for proper names, like for people and places, and words that have been appropriated into English, like samurai, katana and dojo. Movenames will be translated to English. You will not see any uses of Japanese honorifics. No -chan, -kun, -sama or any of that. No, I will not change my mind on this, and no, I will not do an alternate version.

Q: But it's not accurate if it's not full of Japanese words!
A: Then play it without the patch. I'm not interested in catering to obsessive fanboys.

Q: Why didn't you use the font SNK used for the non-Japanese text in the game?
A: The original English font in the game was 16x16 pixels per character, which would've halved the available space per screen to put in text (which is already at a premium).

Q: Why not use the English font from SS2 or SS4?
A: The original arcade font is only in capital letters, and it's kind of ugly, to be honest. All well and good for the short snippets of text in the arcade games, but for the ongoing reading that TotB requires, it's a little eye-straining.

Q: Are you still working on this?
A: Yes. Regardless of how long it may eventually take, I will see the translation completed.

Q: How much is done?
A: The script is completely finished. What's being done now is working on getting the combat menus looking right.

Q: Why haven't you put up any new screenshots lately?
A: When there is enough progress to show new pictures, I will post them. The text is divided up by area. An incompletely-translated area cannot be inserted. If there's no new pictures, that means there's nothing new that can be shown ingame yet.

Q: What assurance do I have that you won't up and quit this project?
A: You have none, other than my statement that it won't happen.

Q: Will you give me the utilities you used to make this patch?
A: No. They were custom-made and were not intended for redistribution. They are also not mine to give.

Q: Then will you help me make a version in a language other than English?
A: No. Sorry, but I dislike derived translations.

Q: Why do you have a problem with people asking when the translation will be done?
A: Because no one likes to be hounded. When the patch is done, it'll be released, and you can bet your ass I'll be promoting it like mad. You'll see a link in my signature. You'll see a post stating that it's finished and ready to play. I know people are waiting for it. Believe me, I want it to be completed, too; if I didn't, I wouldn't be doing this.

Q: What's with the attitude?
A: Because being constantly asked when it's going to be done is frustrating and puts me in a bad mood.

If your questions are not answered here, please ask and I will update this post accordingly.

Last edited:

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
I hope someone can monitor this thread as I myself now cant stand peeps asking shit like as Deuce said when will it be done or please give me your hard earned work for free.

If anyhow Deuce decided to stop this project cause of certain tosspots, I WILL have to turn Renegade

SO KNOCK IT OFF, Deuce I dont know if this has been aksed as I cant be bothered to search all of the pages.
However can I donate some money to your hard earned work via paypal ?

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
Thanks for the update, Deuce. Keep up the good work, and don't let anyone distract you or rush you. Always remember, for every person who pesters you about this project, there are many more of us who are patient and appreciative.

GAME NAZI

n00b
It's been said many times before, but it still bears repeating: Thank you Deuce for undertaking such a monumental task.

I've tried to play the game in the past (I printed out a graphical FAQ years ago), but alas the load times eventually got to me.

I've been following your progress and I've learned that SSRPG is the most graphically beautiful Neo-Geo game. I've been studying the graphics and they did not cut any corners in the graphics department. Oh sure there are some instances of copy and paste, but they did a damn good job of hiding them.

So now I have the original game and a rom, so now it's time to show off some of the visual greatness. I present to a visual buffet for your eyes...

town1.jpg

The big city

chamcham1.jpg

Cham Cham's home

nakoruru1.jpg

Nakoruru's home

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Ok, now hurry up motherfucker or I will come over to your house and hit you with a baseball bat, across the face even! :lol:

Just kidding mate... thanks for still continuing the patch even though some people are asses about it, I for one love the work your doing and will wait as long as it takes to see this beautiful game get done properly. Your the man Deuce! :multi_co:

Dandy-J

Crazed MVS Addict
Fakk2 said:
Ok, now hurry up motherfucker or I will come over to your house and hit you with a baseball bat, across the face even! :lol:

That made me lolz a bit. :tickled:

But I agree with the rest of the guys here, what you are doing is a great service for Neo CD owners, myself included. I can't begin to express how happy it makes me to know that someday I will be able to play this game in English.

Keep up the great work sir!

Marek

Banned
Well I'm excited!

I have tried burning games to play of my cdz before and have been as of yet unsuccessful. If anyone has experience with that please send me a pm.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Well, Deuce's post at the top should cut down on us having to yell at people.

I hope.

Deuce

fix-fixed.gif

Figured something else out... (only the first two items in that shot are corrected) :D

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Deuce said:
fix-fixed.gif

Figured something else out... (only the first two items in that shot are corrected) :D

:multi_co: every little bit makes a difference. :buttrock:

Deuce

Fakk2 said:
:multi_co: every little bit makes a difference. :buttrock:
Trust me when I say, that's no little bit. Getting the FIX layer for the combat menus fixed was always one of the biggest hurdles this project faced.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Glad to see the play-by-play you provide gives us a chance to appreciate the level of work that goes into making this thing look and play right.

I'm confident that you'll find a good batch of betatesters from those who volunteered to help sift through stuff.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
If you look at the screenshot with Genjuro, you'll notice that the layout for the translated items/commands was a little off. Now in the new shots with Cham, that seems to be fixed.
;)

EDIT: "Great sake", hm? Bet that works really well with Haohmaru, hah.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Murray said:
Sorry for being dense, but what was fixed between this screen and the last?

Thanks for taking the bullet on that. I was afraid to ask.....

ReyVGM

Quiz Detective
I have a few questions about SSRPG that aren't very clear on the FAQs.

Depending on the character you use, what exactly changes in the story ? Is the main story the same and variates depending on your character or are there major changes?

And what about the ending, is it the same for every character or is it different?
Does it have (maybe) a different dialogue after you beat the last boss depending on your character or is it a generic one?

And is there just one ending after you beat all the chapters or does each chapter have it's own ending?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well, the paths through both chapters are relatively the same regardless of the "main" character you pick. Both chapters have pretty much the same story, but it is played through the point of view of the "main" character you picked. The "main" character also has a small part of the story devoted to them exclusively somewhere in each of the 2 scenarios. The "main" character you pick also has an effect as to what other "main" characters and secondary characters you can pair up with. For example, using Genjuro as a main character is unique in that he pairs up with nobody, and fights alone.

The ending for the Amakusa chapter is unique for each main character, but I THINK the Mizuki ending follows relatively the same route, except that of course it is played through your character's point of view, so the conversations would likely be different.

ReyVGM

Quiz Detective
Da.. Damn! :eek:
So that means playing the game multiple times to see each individual "point of view" at the ending?
There's no way to "switch" main characters mid game?

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
ReyVGM said:
Da.. Damn! :eek:
So that means playing the game multiple times to see each individual "point of view" at the ending?
There's no way to "switch" main characters mid game?
Yeah if memory serves you pick your main guy at the beginning and your two partners, then you're stuck with them to the end. The exception is Genjuro in which case you go it alone without any partners. I never got very far with Genjuro. :(

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Kazuki Dash said:
If you look at the screenshot with Genjuro, you'll notice that the layout for the translated items/commands was a little off. Now in the new shots with Cham, that seems to be fixed.
;)
Ooooh, ok, I see now. Had to look really closely, even after you pointed it out. Not obvious to the casual observer, but an important fix, nonetheless. :)

This is going to be so awesome. :drool:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Murray said:
Ooooh, ok, I see now. Had to look really closely, even after you pointed it out. Not obvious to the casual observer, but an important fix, nonetheless. :)

This is going to be so awesome. :drool:

I still don't see it, but I'll survive. I'm glad to know we have a pefectionist at the helm. (Deuce-chan) :P