Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There's a tenuous difference between him and the forum plebeians.

Between that psycho-analytical nonsense, outbursts of intelligence and/or founded pretentiousness, there's also the guy who simply wishes Rot to get well again, hopes Tak's recent move went smoothly and is ready to meet you on the Turf, the green and the political one, whenever you call for it. NG.com came, saw and conquered far better and far worse members than me. I'm no exception, just let time pass by a bit and I'll adapt to make the delay hardly worth mentioning.

On topic, though...

Shutter Island (2010) -- The movie's far more than just another Scorsese show-off. It makes you wonder, who really is insane: us, who shut themselves from reality or those patients, who looked it in the eye and crashed thereunder. Reminds me of Scorsese's another classic The Big Shave. Daily grind can only take you so far.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Has anyone seen Solo?

I hear there is a very disappointing and confusing character cameo.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
People confused about it are the ones that only know the movies. If they keep up with novels and even animated series, it wouldn't have been an issue.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Has anyone seen Solo?

Ep VIII was the first Star Wars movie in my life I didn't see in theaters. The re-released originals, prequels, and others I've all seen, but I think I'm done supporting this franchise.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Ep VIII was the first Star Wars movie in my life I didn't see in theaters. The re-released originals, prequels, and others I've all seen, but I think I'm done supporting this franchise.

I took VII as a new beginning. And I loved that movie, even if it borrowed too much from IV.

I've taken shit for it, but I'll say it again; I loved Rogue One.

VIII was a dumpster fire, though. To the point where I'm not going to be bummed if I do miss Solo in theaters. The spoiler I hinted at makes me want to see it even less.

Spoiler:

They feature someone who was exclusive to the prequels. I was under the impression that we had all, as a society, purged those movies from our collective existence.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I enjoyed Solo. It was fun seeing old characters played by new faces. Looks like we will be getting a Solo trilogy.

Spoiler:
I loved the mention of teras kasi and I almost cheered when Han shot first.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Solo was amazing. Saw it last (Friday) night and I am planning on going again this holiday weekend.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
flight of the intruder, a sweet 09/10 at least.
followed by firefox, the same rates.
why spoil it for you, when you can watch them for yourselves? :D
oh, enemy mine fills the count, a straight 10/10.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Solo was amazing. Saw it last (Friday) night and I am planning on going again this holiday weekend.

Hell yeah Solo is a great movie! I think the complaints have more to do with the fact it didn't break $100million, but fuck that, it is a good movie : )
We get none of that money, so why should we care?

It is easy to follow, and has some nice twist and turns. Lots of foreshadowing that kind of lead you in one direction, but then it's not what you expected.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Other than Empire, Rogue one is the best Star Wars movie in the bunch.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but a strong case could be made that it's the best one outside the original trilogy. I skipped VIII but planned on eventually seeing Solo. However, at this point the franchise has gathered the wrong kind of inertia for me. It's easier to tell Kathleen Kennedy to fuck off.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Saw Deadpool 2. There will probably come a point where the movie Deadpool becomes overexposed and tired as shit like he did in the comics but this isn't that movie. Soooo many good lines beyond the ones in the trailer, a bunch of great recurring gags and some pretty hilarious cameos. I've always rooted for Ryan Reynolds to succeed since the early Van Wilder/Waiting days. Glad he's found his billion dollar niche. And holy shit, that post-credits sequence.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I wouldn't go quite that far, but a strong case could be made that it's the best one outside the original trilogy. I skipped VIII but planned on eventually seeing Solo. However, at this point the franchise has gathered the wrong kind of inertia for me. It's easier to tell Kathleen Kennedy to fuck off.

Saw Solo again today.

I am thinking Original Trilogy > Solo > Rogue One > Rest

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

I'm right there with you. Saw VII and Rouge One, but can't make myself care enough to see VIII or Solo. Outside of the original movies these others just don't do it for me anymore.

My biggest problem is that these new films either make me angry, or I'm constantly picking the continuity apart. I don't think I'm able to actually enjoy a Star Wars movie anymore. It truly makes me sad since these movies once brought me so much joy. But you can only get jerked around for so long until you just no longer care.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Game Night - not bad. Rachel McAdams' energy carried it much of the time, and Jesse Plemons was awesome. The Denzel Washington stuff was pretty inspired.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

I watched it on a plane last night. Didn’t catch the ending though.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Has anyone seen Solo?

How was it confusing?

Spoiler:
I assume you're referring to Darth Maul's appearance. If you're one to have kept up with Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, his appearance makes a lot of sense, and even kinda sorta gives us a time frame, I think. His legs are what I'm referring to. After Phantom Menace/losing his legs, during the Clone Wars cartoon, hes found on another planet with robotic spider legs, and is completely bonkers. After he's fixed up and gets his mind back, he has those robotic legs seen in Solo. And further still in Clone Wars, the Night Sisters basically heal him up and he has normal looking legs, which are then seen in Star Wars Rebels. In fact his light saber in Solo is the one he uses in Rebels.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
John Carter (2012) -- I liked it, despite its pacing flaws. Though the Confederate Army captain story was better than the Mars one, the latter gave me that Indiana Jones feel, which Crystal Skull was missing. Samantha Morton, Mark Strong and Ciarán Hinds were really good, too.

fake

15 Year Member
How was it confusing?

Spoiler:
I assume you're referring to Darth Maul's appearance. If you're one to have kept up with Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, his appearance makes a lot of sense, and even kinda sorta gives us a time frame, I think. His legs are what I'm referring to. After Phantom Menace/losing his legs, during the Clone Wars cartoon, hes found on another planet with robotic spider legs, and is completely bonkers. After he's fixed up and gets his mind back, he has those robotic legs seen in Solo. And further still in Clone Wars, the Night Sisters basically heal him up and he has normal looking legs, which are then seen in Star Wars Rebels. In fact his light saber in Solo is the one he uses in Rebels.

Spoiler:
It's confusing because I was under the assumption that the entire world was operating as if the prequels never happened. A decision like this would surely rub most fans the wrong way. And I think that only a small minority of people who have watched all the Star Wars feature films have kept up with the lore in the animated shows, comics, etc. so they'd all be surprised by him suddenly showing up.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Game Night - not bad. Rachel McAdams' energy carried it much of the time, and Jesse Plemons was awesome. The Denzel Washington stuff was pretty inspired.

Totally agree - it also had a strange, tangible style about it that I appreciated. The tone/pacing and camera work were all just really....odd.