Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Totally agree - it also had a strange, tangible style about it that I appreciated. The tone/pacing and camera work were all just really....odd.

It felt, somehow, like less than the sum of its parts. It's hard to explain, but yeah, it just wasn't all there. I can't decide if I like Jeffrey Wright's tiny little role or not.

Saw Annihilation - Not as good as Ex Machina, but probably in the same ballpark. Several scenes was particularly good, the one with the bear and the entire last half hour or so, very good stuff.

Interesting production history for it; Paramount looked at Garland's cut and didn't like it. Said it was too intellectual, pretentious, that it wouldn't connect with people. Scott Rudin had final cut privilege, though, and said fuck the studio, we're releasing it the way Garland wants it. So Paramount cut its risk by doing a deal with Netflix to release it internationally, while Paramount kept the rights in the U.S. and a few other countries.

It ended up doing mediocre to bad at the box office, got a "C" cinemascore, and its user ratings on RT are far lower than the critical reviews. So Paramount was probably right, broadly speaking.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It felt, somehow, like less than the sum of its parts. It's hard to explain, but yeah, it just wasn't all there. I can't decide if I like Jeffrey Wright's tiny little role or not.

Saw Annihilation - Not as good as Ex Machina, but probably in the same ballpark. Several scenes was particularly good, the one with the bear and the entire last half hour or so, very good stuff.

Interesting production history for it; Paramount looked at Garland's cut and didn't like it. Said it was too intellectual, pretentious, that it wouldn't connect with people. Scott Rudin had final cut privilege, though, and said fuck the studio, we're releasing it the way Garland wants it. So Paramount cut its risk by doing a deal with Netflix to release it internationally, while Paramount kept the rights in the U.S. and a few other countries.

It ended up doing mediocre to bad at the box office, got a "C" cinemascore, and its user ratings on RT are far lower than the critical reviews. So Paramount was probably right, broadly speaking.

Ah, didn't know that. Annihilation is probably my favorite movie of the year so far. It's been a few months and I keep thinking about it. The BearPig was one of the best movie scenes in years. So fucked up.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay

I thought it was great. Pretty much just pure action, which works well in this type of movie. One of the better DC animated movies in quite some time. Just ordered Batman Ninja the other day so I'm looking forward to watching that next.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Spoiler:
It's confusing because I was under the assumption that the entire world was operating as if the prequels never happened. A decision like this would surely rub most fans the wrong way. And I think that only a small minority of people who have watched all the Star Wars feature films have kept up with the lore in the animated shows, comics, etc. so they'd all be surprised by him suddenly showing up.

Ah yeah, I suppose you have a valid point. Still tho, for those who had paid attention to the non-movie stuff, it was a pretty cool bit. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Deadpool 2-Fun movie, enjoyed it. Seen it twice now. I think it's, more or less, as good as the first one.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Super 8 (2011) & Earth to Echo (2014) -- Both films revive the Amblin productions of the 80s and both get it right, once you turn a blind eye to 8's more kitschy moments towards the end and Echo's irritating found footage style throughout. Recommended for an inspiring back to yesterdays trip.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Watched The Golden child last night for the first time in decades. Obviously Sardo Numsah is played by Charles Dance, but seeing that David LoPan and Egg Shenn from big trouble in little China also got decent roles was something that didn’t click until now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Deadpool 2-Fun movie, enjoyed it. Seen it twice now. I think it's, more or less, as good as the first one.

With all that studio backing “more or less, as good as the first” hmmn.

Personally not spending money on superhero movies in the theater.

fake

15 Year Member

It was good, but I liked the first one better. It's hard to make the in-your-face potty mouth seem fresh twice, and there are definitely some dud lines, but I laughed out loud a lot. The story revolves around a misunderstood kid, and I really hated the character. There was really nothing to like about him. That was my main gripe with the movie.

I watched It Follows for the fourth or fifth time last night. It's just so good. It's got to be one of the best horror movies of the last 20 years, along with Under the Skin. I love how outside, it looks like it's set in modern times, but the interiors make it look like its set in the '70s or '80s. I love the era-ambiguous technology, too.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

The sequel that surpasses the original is rare enough that I generally just hope that the follow ups meet the bar.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It was good, but I liked the first one better. It's hard to make the in-your-face potty mouth seem fresh twice, and there are definitely some dud lines, but I laughed out loud a lot. The story revolves around a misunderstood kid, and I really hated the character. There was really nothing to like about him. That was my main gripe with the movie.

I watched It Follows for the fourth or fifth time last night. It's just so good. It's got to be one of the best horror movies of the last 20 years, along with Under the Skin. I love how outside, it looks like it's set in modern times, but the interiors make it look like its set in the '70s or '80s. I love the era-ambiguous technology, too.

It follows if a fun time. But for best horror of the past 2 decades, have you watched The Witch? Black Phillip deserved an academy award for creeping me out.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Watched The Golden child last night for the first time in decades. Obviously Sardo Numsah is played by Charles Dance, but seeing that David LoPan and Egg Shenn from big trouble in little China also got decent roles was something that didn’t click until now.

Nice I need to watch this again

fake

15 Year Member
It follows if a fun time. But for best horror of the past 2 decades, have you watched The Witch? Black Phillip deserved an academy award for creeping me out.

I liked The Witch, but it didn't blow me away. It just wasn't that scary. It Follows definitely isn't scary after the movie, but it's super tense during the scary scenes. With The Witch, I was only creeped out by the nekkid lady. I was also a little confused -- some of the movie was pretty funny to me, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. I saw it in the theater when it came out, so I'll have to rewatch it. But I did love the little kids and Black Phillip.

I think I have weird taste in horror, though. I kind of roll my eyes at the stuff most people like (or at least the stuff that cashes in) but I really like the stuff that's more about atmosphere. At least for current stuff. I love John Carpenter stuff from the '80s and obviously the classics like The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby. Actually, that reminds me -- stuff about demonic spirits scares me a lot more than zombies or monsters or whatever.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

i don't think a horror movie has ever effected me the way the witch did. it put my mind in a state of dread which i don't want to experience again. truly is a piece of horror art.

fake

15 Year Member
i don't think a horror movie has ever effected me the way the witch did. it put my mind in a state of dread which i don't want to experience again. truly is a piece of horror art.

Hmm, OK, yeah, I'll watch it again. The only movies that have really fucked me up like that are The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity 1-3, and Rosemary's Baby.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Deadpool 2 was the last film I went to see and I really enjoyed it!

Horror bores me quite frankly, I generally find it predictable and dull.
I never understand what people get so creeped out by with them.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy some horror films like IT where its more “actioney” and keeps me entertained.
But more “creepy” films nah they just bore me and I usually nod off.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Cobra -macho 80s stallone. Stallone one of my favs to watch.

Karate Kid 1 & 2 - Kids are loving it, going to watch part 3 next. I always felt part 2 & 3 should have been switched up in the time order. After defeating Chozen in a death match, Daniel-san became a total badass. Barnes should have been a cake walk.

Game Night - white people mainstream comedy had its moments

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Hmm, OK, yeah, I'll watch it again. The only movies that have really fucked me up like that are The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity 1-3, and Rosemary's Baby.

Paranormal Activity? Really? Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but those movies are 75 minutes of security camera footage interspersed with the occasional jump scare. The first one was fun to watch with an audience but once we knew the formula, I found them incredibly boring. Plus jump scares aren't scary. They're just startling.

I can understand not being in to the Witch. It builds great tension and dread but it's slow-paced and a little too precious/pretentious for some. That's why I'm really hoping that Hereditary lives up to the hype. A lot of people are comparing it to the Witch but it has a modern setting and just looking at that little girl gives me the heeby jeebys.

Ip Man

15 Year Member

maybe it's just not your kind of thing. every one has their tastes. i liked the witch because i'm a huge fan of that kind of stuff, haunted houses, blare witch project, the ritual. but some just find these movies boring.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
maybe it's just not your kind of thing. every one has their tastes. i liked the witch because i'm a huge fan of that kind of stuff, haunted houses, blare witch project, the ritual. but some just find these movies boring.

The witch creeped me the hell out as well bogard, like wasabi say's black phillip was evil incarnite, it played on me for day's after i watched it, which is always a sign of a really good horror flic.
Kill list was another that creeped me out and deserves a watch if you like this genre.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Paranormal Activity? Really? Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but those movies are 75 minutes of security camera footage interspersed with the occasional jump scare. The first one was fun to watch with an audience but once we knew the formula, I found them incredibly boring. Plus jump scares aren't scary. They're just startling.

I can understand not being in to the Witch. It builds great tension and dread but it's slow-paced and a little too precious/pretentious for some. That's why I'm really hoping that Hereditary lives up to the hype. A lot of people are comparing it to the Witch but it has a modern setting and just looking at that little girl gives me the heeby jeebys.

Paranormal Activity is definitely polarizing. It takes the "don't show the monster" concept to the extreme, and spirits / demonic stuff just isn't going to scare some people, especially when you can't see them. But in my opinion, the first Paranormal Activity was the best execution of making the audience (if they were receptive) feel hopeless and trapped. The two characters were being tortured like a cat tires out a mouse before finally deciding to bite its head off. It's the closest on-screen thing to absolute terror. Being in that situation is worse than being killed. Some axe murderer comes, oh no, but at least you can fight back and the worst case in most scenarios is a somewhat painful death. But a demon? There's nothing you can do. I had nightmares for two months after watching that movie. The second, IIRC was not nearly as good but still scared the shit out of me. And the third one wasn't as fresh as the original but was otherwise the better movie in terms of narrative, and actually created a compelling origin. And as someone who spent a lot of time in Salem, there were a lot of visual hints that I was able to pick up on well before the resolution, which was cool.

Yeah - I can't wait for Hereditary. I'll give my money to A24 anytime. Even for Tusk, which I thought was very funny.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
The witch creeped me the hell out as well bogard, like wasabi say's black phillip was evil incarnite, it played on me for day's after i watched it, which is always a sign of a really good horror flic.
Kill list was another that creeped me out and deserves a watch if you like this genre.

never heard of the kill list. just watched the trailer. definitely going to watch it soon.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Paranormal Activity is definitely polarizing. It takes the "don't show the monster" concept to the extreme, and spirits / demonic stuff just isn't going to scare some people, especially when you can't see them. But in my opinion, the first Paranormal Activity was the best execution of making the audience (if they were receptive) feel hopeless and trapped. The two characters were being tortured like a cat tires out a mouse before finally deciding to bite its head off. It's the closest on-screen thing to absolute terror. Being in that situation is worse than being killed. Some axe murderer comes, oh no, but at least you can fight back and the worst case in most scenarios is a somewhat painful death. But a demon? There's nothing you can do. I had nightmares for two months after watching that movie. The second, IIRC was not nearly as good but still scared the shit out of me. And the third one wasn't as fresh as the original but was otherwise the better movie in terms of narrative, and actually created a compelling origin. And as someone who spent a lot of time in Salem, there were a lot of visual hints that I was able to pick up on well before the resolution, which was cool.

Yeah - I can't wait for Hereditary. I'll give my money to A24 anytime. Even for Tusk, which I thought was very funny.

Absolute terror? Nightmares for two months? Yeah wow, we clearly had different experiences with that first movie.

fake

15 Year Member
Absolute terror? Nightmares for two months? Yeah wow, we clearly had different experiences with that first movie.

:lolz: Like I said, it's polarizing. I've talked to people who had a similar reaction to mine, and people who have laughed through that whole movie.