NG.com board game thread

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
There's a 7 Wonders ios app coming out in the next month or so and I can't wait for that.

Bought Elder Signs Omens a few weeks ago and we have been playing that a lot--it's fast-paced and pretty damn fun.

I did experience its older brother Arkham Horror for the first time last week which is also a lot of fun but I almost lost my mind as to how involved it is.

That one was definitely a bit too much for me, but I could appreciate how well crafted (pun intended... why the hell not) it is.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I love Arkham Horror.

Fantastic game. It can be somewhat daunting at first, particularly because the rulebook is flat out terrible: FFG's conversation style rulebooks are bad (thankfully they've gotten better over the years.)

Arkham Horror is a game that gets really good when all the players have a game or two under their belt.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Neuroshima Hex and Mage Knight

seriously good shit right there

Neuroshima is simple to learn but has chess-like deep strategy to it

Mage Knight has a ton to learn, but it's all intuitive and comes quickly and is also pretty damn awesome

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Mage Knight the board game? Or the earlier Mage Knight minis game?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!

It's been a while, but I've still been playing a variety of things.

From the simple and quick, Coup. A kickstarter project involving possessing two characters with specific abilities. You try to eliminate the other players characters either by assassination, coup, or calling bullshit if they attempt to lie and don't have the right character.

Quick but mostly because I suck, Hive. We decided calling it a strange form of Chess seemed most appropriate, but that might have just been the black/white pieces influencing that decision. You place pieces down with certain rules and then can move them in specific ways once they are down. Each piece is a different insect and surrounding a queen with pieces of either color ends the game.

Thurn and Taxis, probably my favorite new game for relative beginners. A much better introductory game than Settlers in my opinion with no dice rolling. You're building postal routes based on city cards drawn from a board. Small amount of planning is necessary and the game forces you to build a continual route or lose your played cards. Haven't spent nearly as much time on it as Settlers though, so its possible its not as good as I think, but for 20-40 bucks its definitely worth it.

Fortune and Glory, aka lulz isn't this Indiana Jones. The most hilarious game without the necessary license to put on the box, complete with Indy quotes on the play cards. This one is cooperative. Playing against the game's two Nazis trying to collect a constantly varying set of treasures. There is a lot going on and it helps to have an experience game person to run the game, but otherwise it is only a moderately complicated game. With some game experience I feel like it is accessible. It is pretty expensive though and definitely not balanced the best, we got our ass handed to us several times. You are allowed to adjust the victory points required for your or the Nazis to win, but I feel that probably should have been done before it shipped.

I also learned bridge...I'll keep that one in my pocket when I spend time with grandma.

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Been looking through lots of print and play free games lately. There seem to be a lot of solid one and two player games, something which I'm always trying to find. Reading through some directions/reviews and trying to decide what might be worth making. Anyone ever try any that they would recommend?

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
I got to play the Game of Thrones board game for the first time last night. I felt overwhelmed by the amount of things to keep track of in that game. At the end of the game I felt like I had a much better concept of what to do/what I should have done. I was playing as the Greyjoys and I've been told they're the hard mode house.

I also got to play Boss Monster for the first time and felt winning was based mostly on luck but I enjoyed the art and theme of it (though the art looks more 16-bit than 8-bit to me).

lithy

20 Year Member
Thought I would do a shameless bump of this thread and ask you to support an already funded Kickstarter project called Brewin' USA if you have any crossover interest in board games and beer. The brewery I work at is one of several that will be featuring their actual brands in the game. This one is on the more casual end of the spectrum but has an interesting auction component, players compete for area control on a modular board (tiles styled as beer coasters!), and plays well with 2-4 players in under 30 minutes.

The only other beer related game I have seen was a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay complicated worker placement game meant to simulate a working brewery.

I assembled the printable test version of this game and have played a few rounds and it is a solid title. You can always add the caps of whatever 6-pack you drink on the night you play into the game as player markers.

$45 bucks will get you a copy of the game. If anyone hasn't done a Kickstarter before, the estimated delivery is Oct. 2015, so just plan on getting it by Christmas and call it a present for yourself since by the time you get it you will have forgotten you ordered it. ;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1921968316/brewin-usa/description

Today is the last day to back the project.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
So over Memorial Day weekend I played a bunch of stuff. Here's a little breakdown of what was played.

Coup: I've played this before and don't particularly like these type of lying/deduction-centric games since I suck at lying so badly. The most interesting thing was being reminded of how easy it is for me to fall for other peoples lies.

Cosmic Encounter: A cool space themed game where you try to colonize other planets and battle other players to do so. Had a great moment where myself and a friend agreed to negotiate only for him to flip over an attack card while apologizing. Then I flip over a higher attack card. One round you're friends with someone the next you're enemies locked in battle. It's great fun.

Evolution: You have a species and give them up to 3 traits. You can get multiple species, make your species grow in population, or grow in body size. The whole time you're trying to find a way to get the most food and protect yourself from carnivores. I wish I had known how hard it was to go carnivore early on (grow as a vegetarian then switch to carnivore trust me). Overall pretty nifty.

Descent 2nd Edition: Fun and thematic. It feels like DnD in a box but the DM (called an overlord in this) isn't as powerful and can actually win. It's got some weird oddities with large monster movement and LOS but it's probably my favorite of the games I played recently. I've heard the newer campaigns are the most fun/balanced which is why I've already shelled out for some expansions (Heirs of Blood and Labyrinth of Ruin).

Dead of Winter: I've had this for a awhile now and am only now getting to play it. It's quite fun and was the groups favorite. Over the course of 5 games certain crossroad cards kept coming up and that kind of sucked but there were always ones which I hadn't seen before. Having a secret objective and the possibility of someone being a traitor adds to the tension of the game. Also a dog wielding 2 guns and mowing down zombies while the Mall Santa kills himself after they hooked up makes for a very humorous and dark game.

EDIT: Also played Carcassonne this weekend. I always enjoy it but now have started to just enjoy the map that gets made and watching as people realize just how easy it is to play, only to get confused about how farm scoring works, then to have understanding wash over their face as I explain farm scoring for the eighth time (also I spent far too much time trying to spell 8th for this edit).

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, as some of you may have read in the sales section, I've been selling off stuff to build up some funds for a board game project. Well, as of today my first shipment of product is off. I've still got to work out deals for the next much larger shipment.

Anyhow, If everything goes to plan. This year at GenCon, Catalyst Game Labs will be selling faction dice for Battletech. They are nickel plated zinc with enamel colors. 5 Different designs, House Kurita, House Davion, House Steiner, House Marik, and House Liao.

BattleTech has been my favorite table top game for quite a long time so being able to contribute something to it is pretty cool. To me at least. Its been quite a bit of work in my spare time to get this far. Hopefully, it opens the door for some future projects I have in the works.

Here is a quick picture (Crappy picture) of one of the designs.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
AB_KoW_game1_zps9vwcnuol.jpg

I've never played, or had any desire to try, the Angry Birds video games, but, when I saw this, for some reason, I had to have it.

The object of Angry Birds is for you to help the rotund feathered protagonists get revenge on the green pigs that stole their eggs by flinging them into, and demolishing, the wooden fortresses that they inhabit.

AB_KoW_game2_zps4xxzivhd.jpg

More specifically, your goal is to be the first player to reach 1,000 points. This is accomplished by successfully completing missions, which are ranked at 100 (2 pigs), 200 (3 pigs), and 300 (all 4 pigs) point values. When it's your turn, you pick a Mission card and then another player constructs the building pictured (or invents their own structural design on the fly if you chose a Freestyle card), which you then attempt to demolish using the number and type of birds indicated on the bottom of said card. If you succeed in knocking down all of the pigs, you keep the card and add its point value to your score (plus a bonus 100 points if you also managed to knock down the special yellow egg or star item, in addition to all of your porcine adversaries), but, if you failed to topple all of that green pork, you don't get anything and the card you selected goes into the discard pile. Thus, you can play it safe and slowly build your way up to 1,000 points by choosing the easier 100 point missions, or try to get there more quickly by tackling the harder, but more valuable, higher point challenges.

The instructions say to place the launcher about a foot away from the fortress that you're trying to bust apart. While that might seem too easy, I assure you that it is not, as the flight pattern of the rubbery birds, particularly the aerodynamically-challenged yellow one, is somewhat erratic and unpredictable. Many times, I've missed the structure and pigs completely, even though I'm firing at what amounts to point-blank range. Of course, if you do want to make things more difficult, you could move the bird launcher even further back.

Example of a 200-point mission:

AB_KoW_game4_zpseg9oqhjr.jpg

Example of a 300-point mission:

AB_KoW_game5_zpsuctj2a4c.jpg

All-in-all, this is a pretty fun and innovative game that's a nice alternative to more traditional, and sedate, board game fare.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
M if you like Angry Birds I highly suggest you check out Rampage (now known as Terror in Meeple City). It's a very tactile board game where you flick, blow, and drop the pieces while trying to eat the meeples inside of the buildings which you're destroying. You roar to see who goes first. I played it at Magfest and had a blast.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I just checked that out at boardgamegeek.com, and Terror in Meeple City does indeed look pretty cool. I take it that they had to change the original Rampage title, so as not to be sued by the owner(s) of the popular arcade video game of the same name?

I think it'd be awesome to see a SNK King of the Monsters customization of this board game!

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
I take it that they had to change the original Rampage title, so as not to be sued by the owner(s) of the popular arcade video game of the same name?

I believe that was precautionary. I don't think anyone even threatened to sue but the creators of the board game denied knowing of the arcade games existence, which I find unlikely. Especially when you consider the easter eggs hidden on the board. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1122710/most-easter-eggs-any-other-game

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Just found out they're releasing a third edition of Fury of Dracula this year. I know what I'm playing this Halloween.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Just found out they're releasing a third edition of Fury of Dracula this year. I know what I'm playing this Halloween.

Definitely picking that up and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.

Shit, yes! WHQ is hands down pure magic! I really hope this card game does the original justice (which I have no doubts it will)

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, I just thought I would share that my fan project became an official product.

My custom faction dice for BattleTech, sold out at GenCon last weekend and I'm working out details for making them a regular product.

There at the bottom of the page on the following link.
http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2015/07/25/catalyst-at-gen-con-2015/

There are going to be new designs coming out as well in the not too distant future.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Well, I just thought I would share that my fan project became an official product.

My custom faction dice for BattleTech, sold out at GenCon last weekend and I'm working out details for making them a regular product.

There at the bottom of the page on the following link.
http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2015/07/25/catalyst-at-gen-con-2015/

There are going to be new designs coming out as well in the not too distant future.

That's pretty sweet. Hopefully you can turn it into a full-time job/business. Be sure to let us know when you get the next batch done. I'm sure there's got be some N-G members that play it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Got Small World and a bunch of expansions, Coup, and the D&D Players Handbook for my birthday. I think my friends got me the D&D handbook so I'd stop having to look stuff up in theirs. :emb:

Excited to finally try Small World in the traditional board game setting. Previously I've only played it on my laptop, and then only a few times at that.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Sweet custom Twilight Imperium 3 board.

6AkC3bb.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't know if its been mentioned, but Mice & Mystics is one game that looks AWESOME.

Wil Wheaton and his family demoed it on Geek & Sundry's Tabletop:

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm gonna bump this one with some shameless self-promotion

I'm launching my game (Beerpocalypse) on Kickstarter next month. It's a post-apocalyptic, beer sharing board game. More details and pics will be spilling onto my instagram and FB page. Basically, if you've ever gotten together to share bottles and hang out, this is the game for that. ~October 15th'ish will be when the Kickstarter launches. If something like this sounds fun to you, be sure to like the FB page for more info or sign up on my site to be reminded when the kickstarter starts. I've been destroying my liver playtesting this thing over the last year. :keke:

FB: facebook.com/blacklivergames

Site: blacklivergames.com

11935156_836591943122782_3100881490793308811_o.jpg

11942326_836590973122879_6412346150797127679_o.jpg

instagram_beer.jpg

Last edited: