NG.com board game thread

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
LOOOOOOOL @ Black Liver Games. Awesome.

I am on the phone right now so I will check it out more later but it sounds like something I would back. Love the paddles. We just spilled some beer all over a game last week so can I ask what the play area is made of?

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
LOOOOOOOL @ Black Liver Games. Awesome.

I am on the phone right now so I will check it out more later but it sounds like something I would back. Love the paddles. We just spilled some beer all over a game last week so can I ask what the play area is made of?

There is only so much I can do here. It's just not economical to use anything other than cardboard for board games. However, the paddles and board will have a splash resistant coating on them. Not water resistant or anything, but will definitely save you from a few spills. The edges of everything are still cardboard though, so if anything sits in liquid too long you probably will fuck it up a little. I've spilled on my prototype a couple times and it was all good. The final will probably have a heavy aqueous coating over everything.

lithy

20 Year Member
There is only so much I can do here. It's just not economical to use anything other than cardboard for board games. However, the paddles and board will have a splash resistant coating on them. Not water resistant or anything, but will definitely save you from a few spills. The edges of everything are still cardboard though, so if anything sits in liquid too long you probably will fuck it up a little. I've spilled on my prototype a couple times and it was all good. The final will probably have a heavy aqueous coating over everything.

No, I understand I was just curious if it was something that had been given thought and I wasn't even sure what sort of materials would be available.

The one we spilled on got a full pint of stout tipped over completely on the playfield just about at the end game so it meant almost all of the pieces were in play. It looked bad.

It wasn't our game so we bought a replacement for the guy and brought it home for ourselves. Once cleaned and dried up, there were a few peeling corners on some of the tiles and chips but otherwise its still completely playable.

I think anyone that drinks and plays games understands the level of risk and you just know that if its absolutely necessary, the games are replaceable.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
No, I understand I was just curious if it was something that had been given thought and I wasn't even sure what sort of materials would be available.

The one we spilled on got a full pint of stout tipped over completely on the playfield just about at the end game so it meant almost all of the pieces were in play. It looked bad.

It wasn't our game so we bought a replacement for the guy and brought it home for ourselves. Once cleaned and dried up, there were a few peeling corners on some of the tiles and chips but otherwise its still completely playable.

I think anyone that drinks and plays games understands the level of risk and you just know that if its absolutely necessary, the games are replaceable.

oh no, you are spot-on. Through my playtesting with people the question has come up a lot. It's just one of those rock/hard places in terms of what I could actually do about it and keep the game under $100, you know?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
BRD_dicecapades1.jpg

As a fan of Dungeons & Dragons, and similar tabletop fantasy games, I have a keen interest in dice and their usage, so, when I saw this Dicecapades game on the toy shelf at the store, absolutely loaded with said objects, I was instantly intrigued. I figured that, even if I ended up not liking the game, it was worth it just for the dice alone.

BRD_dicecapades2.jpg

The goal of Dicecapades is simple: be the first player to reach the "end" space and successfully complete one final card challenge to win. Of course, reaching that area, located at the center of the board, will take some doing! At the beginning of each player's turn, they select a card from one of the three piles, which is dictated by the color of the area of the board that their playing piece currently resides in. Blue is "Actionland", with the corresponding cards featuring challenges that generally incorporate something more physical in nature (drawing things/objects, stacking/balancing dice, impersonations, doing sit-ups/push-ups equal to the number rolled, etc.) Yellow is "Thinkingtown", and, naturally, those cards feature activities that require using your brains (rolling various sums/matches, wordplay using the letter dice, simple math, etc.). Finally, red is "Triviaville" which always plays out the same way: you give the card on the top of the deck to the player on your left, roll the six-color die, and then they ask you the corresponding trivia question listed on said card (if you roll black, the other player gets to choose which of the five questions they want to try to stump you with). Successfully completing a challenge allows you to advance on the board the number of spaces indicated on the card. It's worth noting that, depending on the card and outcome of the challenge, the results may benefit other players and not just you. For example, when a card directs you to draw a picture and another player successfully guesses what it is that you've illustrated, you advance two spaces, but the correct guesser also gets to move ahead one space too.

BRD_dicecapades3.jpg

The box claims that over a hundred dice are included, and that's no exaggeration. You get 105 all together:

5 six-sided black number dice.

6 six-sided brown dot dice.

60 six-sided ivory number mini dice.

6 six-sided picture dice.

6 six-sided letter dice.

1 six-sided six-color die.

1 six-sided "funky" die (a small blue die encased inside a larger transparent die).

5 eight-sided red number dice.

5 ten-sided blue number dice.

5 twelve-sided green number dice.

5 twenty-sided yellow number dice.

What? No 4-sided dice (pyramids)?

I really love that die-within-a-die; it's a simple design concept, but an incredibly creative idea that I've never seen done before now. In D&D terms, I like to think of it as my special 2D6 die. I also like the inclusion of the two plastic white trays, with molded labels corresponding to each die type, which are a convenient way to keep all of your dice organized (there's also a little plastic baggy for those sixty little dice, as they're the easiest to lose).

In addition to the instructions, folding game board, 100 cards, 6 player pawns, and 105 dice, you also get a 30-second sand hourglass (many of the challenges use that for the time limit) and a pad of paper and pencil for when a card directs you to draw or write something.

BRD_dicecapades5.jpg

I wasn't sure what to make of Dicecapades, just from looking at the photos and descriptions on the box, but, after giving it a whirl, I found it to be a pretty novel and interesting experience. It's kind of like a bunch of other games (Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, etc.) all rolled up into one. The variety of challenges/activities should keep it fresh for a long time and it'd make a great party game (if you've got more than six people, the rules even allow for you to play in teams, so everyone can get in on the fun). Depending on your players' temperament and physical condition, some of the Actionland challenges might not be a good fit for everyone, but, other than that, I heartily recommend Dicecapades if it sounds appealing to you.

lithy

20 Year Member
So, I have been playing a lot of shit, probably too many to note all of them, but two in particular.

Secret Hitler. Kickstarter is finished but print and play files are available and it is very easy to put together. Great fun for 5-10 players. A secret role game similar to Resistance or in the vain of popular group games like mafia or werewolf but without as many player eliminations.

Alchemists. A lengthy (2hr) game of Clue on steroids with a companion app that helps remove the need for a non-playing moderator with an additional worker placement component. Difficult to play well, frustrating, but still very fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah Secret Hitler is too fun.

Resistance is fun too.

Have you played Coup? It's a bluffing game.

I've been playing that Killer Bunnies game...it's so bad, but what're gonna do w/ lots of non-gamers.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
View attachment 29141

As a fan of Dungeons & Dragons, and similar tabletop fantasy games, I have a keen interest in dice and their usage, so, when I saw this Dicecapades game on the toy shelf at the store, absolutely loaded with said objects, I was instantly intrigued. I figured that, even if I ended up not liking the game, it was worth it just for the dice alone.

View attachment 29142

The goal of Dicecapades is simple: be the first player to reach the "end" space and successfully complete one final card challenge to win. Of course, reaching that area, located at the center of the board, will take some doing! At the beginning of each player's turn, they select a card from one of the three piles, which is dictated by the color of the area of the board that their playing piece currently resides in. Blue is "Actionland", with the corresponding cards featuring challenges that generally incorporate something more physical in nature (drawing things/objects, stacking/balancing dice, impersonations, doing sit-ups/push-ups equal to the number rolled, etc.) Yellow is "Thinkingtown", and, naturally, those cards feature activities that require using your brains (rolling various sums/matches, wordplay using the letter dice, simple math, etc.). Finally, red is "Triviaville" which always plays out the same way: you give the card on the top of the deck to the player on your left, roll the six-color die, and then they ask you the corresponding trivia question listed on said card (if you roll black, the other player gets to choose which of the five questions they want to try to stump you with). Successfully completing a challenge allows you to advance on the board the number of spaces indicated on the card. It's worth noting that, depending on the card and outcome of the challenge, the results may benefit other players and not just you. For example, when a card directs you to draw a picture and another player successfully guesses what it is that you've illustrated, you advance two spaces, but the correct guesser also gets to move ahead one space too.

View attachment 29143

The box claims that over a hundred dice are included, and that's no exaggeration. You get 105 all together:

5 six-sided black number dice.

6 six-sided brown dot dice.

60 six-sided ivory number mini dice.

6 six-sided picture dice.

6 six-sided letter dice.

1 six-sided six-color die.

1 six-sided "funky" die (a small blue die encased inside a larger transparent die).

5 eight-sided red number dice.

5 ten-sided blue number dice.

5 twelve-sided green number dice.

5 twenty-sided yellow number dice.

What? No 4-sided dice (pyramids)?

I really love that die-within-a-die; it's a simple design concept, but an incredibly creative idea that I've never seen done before now. In D&D terms, I like to think of it as my special 2D6 die. I also like the inclusion of the two plastic white trays, with molded labels corresponding to each die type, which are a convenient way to keep all of your dice organized (there's also a little plastic baggy for those sixty little dice, as they're the easiest to lose).

In addition to the instructions, folding game board, 100 cards, 6 player pawns, and 105 dice, you also get a 30-second sand hourglass (many of the challenges use that for the time limit) and a pad of paper and pencil for when a card directs you to draw or write something.

View attachment 29144

I wasn't sure what to make of Dicecapades, just from looking at the photos and descriptions on the box, but, after giving it a whirl, I found it to be a pretty novel and interesting experience. It's kind of like a bunch of other games (Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, etc.) all rolled up into one. The variety of challenges/activities should keep it fresh for a long time and it'd make a great party game (if you've got more than six people, the rules even allow for you to play in teams, so everyone can get in on the fun). Depending on your players' temperament and physical condition, some of the Actionland challenges might not be a good fit for everyone, but, other than that, I heartily recommend Dicecapades if it sounds appealing to you.

i have this game. its stupid fun for a casual game night. its not a complex thing. just silly. i like it.

lithy

20 Year Member
Yeah Secret Hitler is too fun.

Resistance is fun too.

Have you played Coup? It's a bluffing game.

I've been playing that Killer Bunnies game...it's so bad, but what're gonna do w/ lots of non-gamers.

Yeah I've played Coup before. I don't mind it to play as filler but I find it a little too simple to find myself jumping at the chance to play it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Coup is nice to fill time or to drink to - or to play with non-gamers.

Which is most of what I do these days.

lithy

20 Year Member
One day, we can play Leviathans followed by Metal Slug 2 followed by some epic alt-history Revolutionary War thing or something.

We will of course also drink during all of that.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I see Fury of Dracula has had its third revision by FFG.

Reviews are looking solid, I'm really keen to give this a go.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've got second ed Fury of Dracula and love it. I have to wonder if it's any more fun. I don't like the idea of not being able to move during the day (as Dracula), so I'd be curious to see how that mechanic plays out.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Just throwing this out there for those of us that like Dark Souls and board games, the Dark Souls board game KS by Steampowered is up and getting near 1.5 million. The inclusions from stretch goals is a crazy amount of value from the cost of what would have just been the standalone game, and the models are looking fantastic. I like that there is no bullshit with this KS: there are only two pledge options, 1 for individuals and 1 for retailers, and these guys have not only shipped a successful KS board game before, but they are working hand in hand with Namco Bandai. Anyway, the game looks amazing so I thought it deserved a mention in this thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game?ref=hero_thanks

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Good thread. I generally don't do unplugged gaming much because my friends and I work different schedules. That being said, I am in an active D&D group every Tues. with people from work and it's a blast. Currently playing as a bard. We sometimes make runs to one of the biggest gaming/comic shop The Source in Roseville, MN.

I'd love to get a group together for Shadowrun.

I think it would be wild to play a final fantasy game like a D&D game with jobs, dice rolls etc.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been going to a board game group with my friend down in Sacramento but they tend to play Euro trash. I've appreciated branching out more in games and playing things I normally wouldn't play. And I'm coming to see what I actually do enjoy in my games.

Some stuff I've played:

Evolution: fun game where you get to make creatures and fight for food.
Ginkopolis: mechanics of the game have nothing to do with the theme, may as well be an abstract. Did not enjoy. Knew I wasn't going to enjoy when the guy who taught the game didn't even explain what we were supposed to be doing in the game.
Dark Moon: Did a 3 player, probably better with 4-5. "BSG Express" indeed.
Captains of Industry: Not too bad. Played with 5. A game about creating demand and trying to supply that demand.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just throwing this out there for those of us that like Dark Souls and board games, the Dark Souls board game KS by Steampowered is up and getting near 1.5 million. The inclusions from stretch goals is a crazy amount of value from the cost of what would have just been the standalone game, and the models are looking fantastic. I like that there is no bullshit with this KS: there are only two pledge options, 1 for individuals and 1 for retailers, and these guys have not only shipped a successful KS board game before, but they are working hand in hand with Namco Bandai. Anyway, the game looks amazing so I thought it deserved a mention in this thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game?ref=hero_thanks

Just backed it.

Combat system is very interesting. Curious to see about weapons and items, as it seemed to be hinted that you can acquire souls and level up, get better gear, but then have to reventure through all the tiles you've previously beat. (Just like in the series...) I am wondering if leveling up will be necessary to defeat a boss.

The Stamina/HP system is interesting.

Basically a co-op/vs the system game, which is cool. Can be up to 4 players, which of course means you can play with 2 players controlling two characters each.

I backed this because DARK SOULS, and those Smough and Ornstein minis are fucking rad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Good thread. I generally don't do unplugged gaming much because my friends and I work different schedules. That being said, I am in an active D&D group every Tues. with people from work and it's a blast. Currently playing as a bard. We sometimes make runs to one of the biggest gaming/comic shop The Source in Roseville, MN.

I think it would be wild to play a final fantasy game like a D&D game with jobs, dice rolls etc.

Couple friends finally convinced me to do some Roleplaying. I'm in a game of Vampire: The Masquerade.

I've been having a lot more fun than I thought I would be. The system is gamey enough for me to enjoy without being to overly combat focused (as I perceive D&D to be - though I've no real proof of that claim.)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
blokus.jpg

I will freely admit that I only bought this because of its similarity to Tetris, but it turned out to be pretty cool. You lay out your "tetrads" (some of the shapes consist of more than four squares, so, that's not really an accurate term here, but, whatever), tip-to-tip (you aren't allowed to touch the sides of your own pieces, but you can with your opponents) and try to get all of your pieces on the board whilst controlling territory to mess up your opponent and keep them from doing the same. Depending on which rule variations you use, you can also score points based on the number of squares each piece has when you place it (and you deduct points for any pieces you have left over, at the end of the game, that you can't play). It was completely different than what I expected, gameplay-wise, and it has a fair amount of strategic depth.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

While this does look cool - this is a PERFECT example of companies just using KS for free marketing and preorders. This game did not need a KS....at all

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
While this does look cool - this is a PERFECT example of companies just using KS for free marketing and preorders. This game did not need a KS....at all

It really didn't. At this point I'm considering it a pre-order.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

Have you tried roll20? I play Legend of the Five Rings over Skype/Roll20 and its fun. I've done D&D, Shadowrun, Vampire, Werewolf that way over the years.

In terms of Board Games, currently I can usually get a monthly game with my family of Britannia, and/or Archipelego.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Update 21 for the Dark Souls Kickstarter explains how the actual gameplay will progress. I want to know about leveling up and treasure As well as any other items.

Looks like they plan to make money selling different mini bosses and bosses as you choose who you want to go against. I definitely want to fight 4 Kings and al those Dragons.