Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gaia Seed, a.k.a. the easiest STG you could imagine. But that's what makes it interesting for a high score challenge... eh... "challenge". I try to figure out, which ending gives you the most amount of points, but it'll probably be the bad one, since you aren't allowed to kill the last bosses' second form to get the other two. Anyway, my goal is to break the 800.000 barrier.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have the PSN version of Gaia Seed. It's fine. I don't think the game itself is very good though.

I got to the end of Stage 4 on Progear and got the first score extend. I ended up with 4.5 million points. Gonna have to figure out how to get the 1up in Stage 4, and then figure out how to actually play it rather than bombing through it. At the moment, I don't bomb until the pre-boss insanity on Stage 2. Then I use two in Stage 3 with those railroad cars full of turrets and two more on the Stage 3 boss.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I got to the end of Stage 4 on Progear and got the first score extend. I ended up with 4.5 million points. Gonna have to figure out how to get the 1up in Stage 4, and then figure out how to actually play it rather than bombing through it. At the moment, I don't bomb until the pre-boss insanity on Stage 2. Then I use two in Stage 3 with those railroad cars full of turrets and two more on the Stage 3 boss.

That's good progress, nice work.

Partway through the stage there is a big tank on rails, followed by two smaller tanks on rails. After defeating the big tank, you must destroy the topmost tank before destroying the one at the bottom of the screen. No bombing allowed. It can get chaotic with all the bullets, but the best approach is to shoot the first tank to appear (the bottom one) a few times until it's flaming, then take out the top tank, then use your secondary shot to home in and finish off the bottom one. Check out some vids on YouTube if you need visuals.

fake

15 Year Member

Partway through the stage there is a big tank on rails, followed by two smaller tanks on rails. After defeating the big tank, you must destroy the topmost tank before destroying the one at the bottom of the screen. No bombing allowed. It can get chaotic with all the bullets, but the best approach is to shoot the first tank to appear (the bottom one) a few times until it's flaming, then take out the top tank, then use your secondary shot to home in and finish off the bottom one. Check out some vids on YouTube if you need visuals.

Awesome - thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Really? Sometimes easy has it's place.

I guess so.

Fuck it, I'll just get it.

Glad it got resolved so quickly, because GS is an excellent game with an extraordinary soundtrack and a deep deep atmosphere: 50's sci-fi meets Raster-Noton. You can almost sense the zipped rubber costumes of the flying by cannon fodder.

...and the broken melancholy of the Japanese narrator's crystal clear Engrish sets the mood right from the start. The low difficulty? That's just tell-tale.

fake

15 Year Member

OK, got it. It took me a few tries. It's definitely trickier than the 1up in ESP.Ra.De but totally doable. I got to the beginning of the 5th stage tonight and got 5.54 million points. I mainly need to learn the final patterns of Boss 3 & 4 and then I should be able to make it to 5 midboss barring any stupid mistakes.

Just got a repro of Eliminate Down on Genesis, damn its beautiful and hard!!!
Then I went and finish Truxton to give myself some confidence and then his little brother Fire Shark. Now I will get back at ED!!

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
still testing out my genesis stick

was playing THUNDER FORCE IV last night. Dont know why i jumped 2 IV when i should have started with the earlier but eh...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
i played it a long time ago but....yes :(

am I scum?

Nah, you'll just miss out on a stellar classic and... on a far more possible 1cc, cause it's very easy (especially if played with a western BIOS -- enemies need only about half the required shots as opposed to the Japanese BIOS).

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
i played it a long time ago but....yes :(

am I scum?

A little mis-guided, maybe. I don't know you.

Nah, you'll just miss out on a stellar classic and... on a far more possible 1cc, cause it's very easy (especially if played with a western BIOS -- enemies need only about half the required shots as opposed to the Japanese BIOS).

The "hidden" options screen (A+Start at the title screen?) lets you change the difficulty. "Mania" is really brutal.

But, yeah, the default difficulty is pretty passable.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The "hidden" options screen (A+Start at the title screen?) lets you change the difficulty. "Mania" is really brutal.

If you take the right stage sequence, even "Mania" can't really deliver. Mostly due to the fact that there are multiple "Shield" items. But I see it as an advantage -- I rather have an easier game to play multiple times through, every time I like for that matter, than take on an unbeatable challenge. The latter's too time consuming and you won't be able to repeat another playthrough in a swift fashion. Consequently, you won't play that game too often after a first time clear.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah agree with you, wish the music would have been a bit better, like Truxton

Well, it's complaining on a high level, FM synthesis alone is excellent. Here though, it just doesn't match the stellar gameplay. And yeah, Truxton/Tatsujin music on the Mega Drive is top notch, but very specific: there's no bass drum IIRC.

Wings of Wor!!! Never got the chance to play before , I like it very much, the bosses in particular. Getting trashed on the 5th level at the moment

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Final soldier on the PCE. I love that game, it's very relaxing and uncomplicated.

Trying to get into tatsujin on PCE, but damn it's freaking hard. The bullets are too fast for
me