Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
man what the fuck is that?!

...google image search

oh shit thats what HYPER DUEL is?! Man i am so on that! Thanks man!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Gradius 1. Beat the NES port last weekend and briefly started playing the PC Engine version last night. Seems easier and made it to the new graveyard stage on maybe my 3rd try.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I managed to beat the PC Engine version easily enough. I died a few times, but it's a lot easier to recover after a death than the NES port. Still 1CC though (lol the game doesn't even have continues). Going to give Gradius 2 (Famicom) a try at some point.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Harmful Park. Trying to beat the 'hard' mode and now the chick looks pretty again ;). Actually, it's not that hard per se, you just have to watch yourself and never forget that you're playing for survival and not score. Just take a rain check on those green diamonds and you'll be fine.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Harmful Park. Trying to beat the 'hard' mode and now the chick looks pretty again ;). Actually, it's not that hard per se, you just have to watch yourself and never forget that you're playing for survival and not score. Just take a rain check on those green diamonds and you'll be fine.

Haven't played that one before but heard good things. Just looked at the price though, wow.

Finally got my first Cave 1cc with Progear. Didn't qualify for the second loop but I'm happy with this for now.

252817417b1a0ba2231d752fbbedb8aa.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Haven't played that one before but heard good things. Just looked at the price though, wow.

The game's ace, a simpatico flipside to Parodius, especially the addicting, yet uncomplicated scoring system makes the difference here. It even offers several secrets, if you don't shoot on site and wait patiently, while all the colorful bullets are getting, literally, into your heroine's hair.

Take the first tank with that hilarious cork taint: if you don't instantly take down its operator, he'll climb down, make a gracious stance and add another couple thou to your score upon shooting. There's even a generous Score-Panda, but I don't want to spoil things for you.

...and the price? Well, you can't win. But there are alternatives to fighting (PSN, image-burn etc).

Gradius 1. Beat the NES port last weekend and briefly started playing the PC Engine version last night. Seems easier and made it to the new graveyard stage on maybe my 3rd try.

I just scored a PCE Duo myself, and Gradius II is on my list. Playing Forgotten Worlds and Super Darius at the moment, though. Both are hard as shit, to me anyway...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm getting to the final boss in undeadline every run.

I understand the pattern too, but I haven't been able to execute what I want here.

Getting weary...but I must go on.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I'm getting to the final boss in undeadline every run.

I understand the pattern too, but I haven't been able to execute what I want here.

Getting weary...but I must go on.

andsuchisdeath....

:P

hey so i've been tinkering with Hyper Duel. So the game is 2 buttons. One for ship and one for mech. Its incredibly smart and intuitive but kind of hard to get used to at the same time. Also im a little confused on how power up system works. one is T and one is B?....I think which i think corresponds to mech option or ship option? its pretty weird but man i really dig this game.

The game is fun but at about level 3 game is hard as balls!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Progear - finally! Got my A board in today and slapped on my Progear repro. I got red and green screens for a while until I looked up some facts on the internet. Apparently, you have to really press the two boards together if you don't have clips.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Progear - finally! Got my A board in today and slapped on my Progear repro. I got red and green screens for a while until I looked up some facts on the internet. Apparently, you have to really press the two boards together if you don't have clips.

giphy.gif

Hmm, I've never had that issue with cps2 boards before, but glad to hear it was an easy fix.

Progear is a lot of fun, even just playing for survival. And boy do those bullet cancels feel satisfying...

komidore64

n00b
Hi, I'm new to the forum! First time post here.

I've gotten myself big into STGs over the past 6ish months. Mostly been playing DoDonPachi Resurrection and Mushihimesama on Steam, along with SaiDaiOuJou on Xbox 360. Good times :)

fake

15 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum! First time post here.

I've gotten myself big into STGs over the past 6ish months. Mostly been playing DoDonPachi Resurrection and Mushihimesama on Steam, along with SaiDaiOuJou on Xbox 360. Good times :)

Ahoy! Sounds like Cave's use of Steam might be paying off. Hopefully we get more ports. What's your setup like?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
hey so i've been tinkering with Hyper Duel. So the game is 2 buttons. One for ship and one for mech. Its incredibly smart and intuitive but kind of hard to get used to at the same time. Also im a little confused on how power up system works. one is T and one is B?....I think which i think corresponds to mech option or ship option? its pretty weird but man i really dig this game.

The game is fun but at about level 3 game is hard as balls!

Yes, it's a two button game. Hitting buttons 1 and 2 together function as your meter consuming bomb attack.

The helpers (options) are T (tracer) and G (gunner). They don't correspond to whatever form your in, but maybe that's not what you meant. Yeah, the T gives you a ship and the G gives you a mech. I can't remember which combination of options are ideal for each stage, but some prove to be more useful than others.

The game has rank, and can get tricky. I'm assuming you're playing in mame, but if you happen to be playing the saturn port, saturn mode visually, is very nice. It's also cool to be able to have a fixed shot in mech form.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yes, it's a two button game. Hitting buttons 1 and 2 together function as your meter consuming bomb attack.

THATS WHAT IT IS! I was trying to figure which button did that. So its actually 2 buttons.

The helpers (options) are T (tracer) and G (gunner). They don't correspond to whatever form your in, but maybe that's not what you meant. Yeah, the T gives you a ship and the G gives you a mech. I can't remember which combination of options are ideal for each stage, but some prove to be more useful than others.

The game has rank, and can get tricky. I'm assuming you're playing in mame, but if you happen to be playing the saturn port, saturn mode visually, is very nice. It's also cool to be able to have a fixed shot in mech form.

Well I noticed one letter gives you the ship and the other gives you the mech and that if you get the opposite letter i think they all transform? Seems like those mech options are super useful more often then the ships but i havent gotten too far yet.

Also I actually I am playing on Saturn (thanks to Kiel for modding mine) but havent tinkered with the Saturn mode yet. Only played arcade mode so far but i have heard that Saturn has a better soundtrack and visuals. oh and that strafe mode which is gonna come in super handy :D

so which mode do you prefer?

fake

15 Year Member
God damn, Progear is tough. I can get to the Stage 3 boss, but real scrubby. I don't understand how the guys who post their 1CCs on YouTube can anticipate A) how much HP an enemy has and B) when to pull the trigger so that you cancel their bullets into gems. Maneuvering is pretty easy - the hit box seems to be only a few square pixels large - but crowd control can get crazy right before bosses.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
God damn, Progear is tough. I can get to the Stage 3 boss, but real scrubby. I don't understand how the guys who post their 1CCs on YouTube can anticipate A) how much HP an enemy has and B) when to pull the trigger so that you cancel their bullets into gems. Maneuvering is pretty easy - the hit box seems to be only a few square pixels large - but crowd control can get crazy right before bosses.

I'm no expert, but they do it through large amounts of repetition - run after run after run. Eventually you can start to build your own route and get to know the enemy placements and patterns very well.

You'll never get there by throwing in a few credits and calling it a day. It takes hours of practice on a given session to make any real progress from my experience.

fake

15 Year Member
I'm no expert, but they do it through large amounts of repetition - run after run after run. Eventually you can start to build your own route and get to know the enemy placements and patterns very well.

You'll never get there by throwing in a few credits and calling it a day. It takes hours of practice on a given session to make any real progress from my experience.

I actually found a 1CC video where the player shows you how to beat the game by playing for survival as opposed to score. It looks like it comes down to knowing when there will be too many bullets on screen so you can decide when to dodge into a clearing or bomb.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member

Yup, lots of practice and memorization. Once you can anticipate where the next enemy wave comes from, you can work on your placement and bullet cancels to be ready for it.

Understanding how the gem/ring mechanic works is a good starting point, and will allow you to more strategically plan your bullet cancels. The shmups forum has a good thread on this:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=2752

For bosses, learn each phase and attack pattern. Bomb through the tough ones at first, then learn to get through without bombing

The game is pretty generous with extends (first at 3mil, then every 4mil after), plus a 1-up on the 4th stage, so you can lose quite a few lives in a 1cc run and still make it through. More than anything, just spend time playing the game. I played it casually before, then spent about a month playing it with the 1cc in mind.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Played Twin Cobra on my Genesis yesterday.
Pretty tough game so I have dedicate some time to see if I can finish it.
Also played Aero Fighters 2 on my cab, it was really fun.

Yesterday, I must of said, "Bi-deo sysutemu!" A few times cause my girlfriend asked me, "What do you keep saying?"

So I took to the garage to show her. She played a few games, so that was a plus.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Been hooked on Battle Garegga Rev.2016 with some breaks for Phoenix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk