Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Uhg, the Deathsmiles II arcade version is kinda weak. No practice mode and no incoming enemies warning (which is in the arcade version!)... I can get to the fourth of five bosses at the moment.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Tackled Vectorman for the first time tonight. Pretty impressive what they were able to do with the Genesis at the end of its development life.

Gotta kick out of Vectorman having an enemy named "Raster". I can appreciate dev humor and I love it when it can make it into the final product.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Tackled Vectorman for the first time tonight. Pretty impressive what they were able to do with the Genesis at the end of its development life.

Gotta kick out of Vectorman having an enemy named "Raster". I can appreciate dev humor and I love it when it can make it into the final product.

Hey brother, try reading threads before posting in them.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey brother, try reading threads before posting in them.

I read back to like June which seemed pretty relevant for a -What are you playing right now - thing. Guess I'm not sure what you mean.

Edit: It's been clarified to me. We're not talking about run and gun here. Future noobs, learn from my mistake :)

I'll be back once I'm playing a pure shmup.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Back on topic... Been playing R-Type Delta again, this time with the R13. I traced everything down, except for maybe three moments of shakiness in level 5 (Shell boss), 6 (that pursuing mid-boss) & 7 (time w/o force) respectively.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
How do you like R-Type Delta? I've been meaning to play it along with the hundreds of other shmups I still haven't played.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
How do you like R-Type Delta?

It's one of the best STGs that I played and one fascinating 2.5D effort. But beware, it's very easy if you practice with save states and use all the known save spots. So I'd recommend you to take the only real challenge (beside going for score), namely to make a superplay without ever taking/using the Force.

I heard that the RX-10 Albatross is your best choice, because of its charge-shot, which, as the only one of all three ships, offers the feature to destroy enemies attacking the rear of your ship. It's been done with the R-13A Cerberus, too. IIRC no one has done it with the R-9A2 Delta. There's the challenge to break the mold.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
R-Type Delta is one of the few console exclusives that tends to stand out from the crowd, and it has the name R-Type, that's enough for me to be on board. It does sound interesting by not taking the force but also kind of gimmicky. Is there any in-game acknowledgement or reason to do so beyond just "bragging rights"?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I told you the reason, it's no challenge otherwise, because it's way too easy. The programmer's knew it and designed this lack of difficulty on purpose to make this challenge possible, and yes, it is also one of the games' requirements on your War Record (achievements listed under Notes). If you're only after "bragging rights" to World Records achieved by save state drill, then just stick to that.

BTW, your little speech is lacking, first, R-Type Tactics has also "the name" R-Type -- is it enough to be "on board", too? It's just a mediocre game.

And second, it's not just "a few" console exclusives that stand out from the crowd:

Axelay, Crying, Einhander, Elemental Master, Eliminate Down, Eschatos, Gate of Thunder, Gleylancer, Gunhed, Gun Nac, Gradius V, Gradius Gaiden, Harmful Park, Judgement Silversword, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Musha Aleste, Nexzr, Power Strike 2, R-Type III, Recca, Sapphire, Soldier Blade, Spriggan, Super Aleste, Super Star Soldier, Thunder Force IV, Thunder Force V, Winds Of Thunder, Zanac, Zanac Neo... and that's just off the top of my head.

I've received and tried Image Fight 2 on the PC_Engine CD. It's ok I was playing on easy and got destroyed by the 1st boss. Anyone tried it?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I told you the reason, it's no challenge otherwise, because it's way too easy. The programmer's knew it and designed this lack of difficulty on purpose to make this challenge possible, and yes, it is also one of the games' requirements on your War Record (achievements listed under Notes). If you're only after "bragging rights" to World Records achieved by save state drill, then just stick to that.

BTW, your little speech is lacking, first, R-Type Tactics has also "the name" R-Type -- is it enough to be "on board", too? It's just a mediocre game.

And second, it's not just "a few" console exclusives that stand out from the crowd:

Axelay, Crying, Einhander, Elemental Master, Eliminate Down, Eschatos, Gate of Thunder, Gleylancer, Gunhed, Gun Nac, Gradius V, Gradius Gaiden, Harmful Park, Judgement Silversword, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Musha Aleste, Nexzr, Power Strike 2, R-Type III, Recca, Sapphire, Soldier Blade, Spriggan, Super Aleste, Super Star Soldier, Thunder Force IV, Thunder Force V, Winds Of Thunder, Zanac, Zanac Neo... and that's just off the top of my head.

I'm not after bragging rights (thus my use of quotes) I was merely wondering if that was a game imposed challenge or just an arbitrary gimmick to make the game harder (like not using the shield in BioMetal or not powering up in Gradius). Sounds like it is an in-game challenge so maybe that is something worth doing if the game is supposedly really easy (hard to believe an R-Type game would be that easy, even the SNES games are fairly hard, especially the second loops).

I agree there are more than a few console exclusives worth playing (in fact several of those are some of my favorites like Space Megaforce, Gradius V & Gaiden, Axelay). Also I've never even heard of R-Type Tactics but that is probably for the best based on what I've looked up.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Strangely enough, Gradius with two speed ups and nothing else is actually easier than fully powered up. Rank gets ugly after getting everything.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've received and tried Image Fight 2 on the PC_Engine CD. It's ok I was playing on easy and got destroyed by the 1st boss. Anyone tried it?

How do you know it's ok? Ending at stage 1 on easy isn't a whole lot of experience.

Maybe it'll be terrible to you. Maybe great...

How do you know it's ok? Ending at stage 1 on easy isn't a whole lot of experience.

Maybe it'll be terrible to you. Maybe great...

it's ok because I like the weapons and how you can adjust your speed. I played it for 20 minutes so for now its ok and like you said its not a great or super good experience yet...^_^ but Im the type to try and retry and retry....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...if the game is supposedly really easy (hard to believe an R-Type game would be that easy, even the SNES games are fairly hard, especially the second loops).

Not supposedly... but don't just take my word for it, check out these facts:

1. - There are no further loops.

2. - Only moving objects can kill you, every other static object can be touched w/o dying, i.e. NO part of the background can kill you.

3. - There are numerous save spots, which turn even the hardest boss-fight into a coffee-break, like the fight against Subkeratom in stage 6.

4. - The last level is indeed the easiest of the whole game.

5. - On top of that, there are no speed power-ups anymore, which makes dying far less lethal, even more so: you're allowed to regulate your speed yourself.

6. - The final straw is the addition of the Delta-Weapon, an all destroying Smart-Bomb, which also serves as a panic-button, since all bullets are immediately annihilated as well.

In comparison to the SFC R-Types or the arcade iterations, this dystopia is a rural idyll, where you take your dog for walkies, with some nice afternoon naps right after a gently chilled Long Island Iced Tea -- Louisiana Style preferably.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Damn, those are a lot of concessions made from the arcade versions. What about the higher difficulties, have you played on the hardest setting and if so, what are the differences?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No, I did not. I usually don't care about non-defaults, which constitutes a main difference between western and Japanese players.

The former prefer to see a challenge in completing a game on all difficulties and collect extends to trade them for points after defeating the last boss. The latter see their goal in generating the possible maximum of points on default settings, sacrificing their extends while defeating the last boss to gain even more. The former is a console approach, the latter an arcade one, since you couldn't set your own difficulty setting on a cab, unless you were its owner.

But again, don't take my word for it, just read Gemant's research on the topic. It is lightyears ahead of any other information you could find on the net.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I absolutely believe Gemant, that guy knows his shit for sure. For me, I tend to only play console shmups on the higher/hardest settings because they usually spruce up the game quite a bit. Indeed some games I find to be much more enjoyable on the higher settings, especially Super Aleste, which is a complete joke on normal but turns into a bullet hell nightmare on wild difficulty. It's really a different game, and IMO a much better game on the two settings with suicide bullets. I'm also kind of luke warm to playing console games for score in general since way too manu of them have broken scoring systems that let you farm infinite points.

For arcade games I always play on defaults.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Indeed some games I find to be much more enjoyable on the higher settings, especially Super Aleste, which is a complete joke on normal but turns into a bullet hell nightmare on wild difficulty. It's really a different game, and IMO a much better game on the two settings with suicide bullets.

If that's the case, then why did you think a no-Force run in R-Type Delta could be only a "gimmick" in the first place? Clearly, this is like playing on a higher, if not the ultimate difficulty setting -- it becomes a different game, too, probably a more enjoyable one.

Following your first thought on leaving the Force behind, one could also call the addition of suicide bullets into Super Aleste a mere "gimmick"... seems like you're unable to learn from your own experience.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I dont hink its a gimmick if the game acknowledges it or its a built in mode. To me its only a gimmick if its self imposed for no real reason (ex: no using the shield im biometal). Not sure why you are being so pissy, what do you mean im unable to learn?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
If I pissed you off before im sorry, i dont have much respect for most people in this hobby because there are so many leeches and scumbags around these days. Your posts are really some of the best ones on here.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...what do you mean im unable to learn?

Well, an attempt to explain one's train of thought often ends with the result of sounding preposterous and drawling -- but I'll try anyway, since there's a small chance to get some laughs out of it and I'll gladly make for the clown...

So, you experienced that the inclusion of a new element, which increases the difficulty, can drastically change the gameplay, adding a new quality to a game, like this suicide bullet augmentation in Super Aleste.

Learning from such an experience would imply a likewise positive reaction to a possible no-Force run in Delta. It's just another difficulty-increasing element, which drastically changes the gameplay, adding the benefit of a true challenge to an otherwise lukewarm one.

Your, somehow, negative first reaction to the cited no-Force run, i.e. "gimmick", draw me to the conclusion, that you did not learn anything from your Super Aleste experience, which by the way, you were able to elucidate quite eloquently.

And then, naturally, ...I SNAPPED!

P.S. ;).

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What about the higher difficulties, have you played on the hardest setting and if so, what are the differences?

Here's a followup: I played on Bydo and can admit, it offers a fair challenge. You have to change your approach because of added enemy formations, more and faster shots and a slowed down Delta charge -- the latter doubles the duration of the finale. Bigger enemies can swallow more before they blow. Some colors are different (the mech in the beginning is red instead of green and comes two times). Unfortunately, all bosses offer the exact same tactics but, all in all, the game plays different enough to be surprising again, which is great indeed.

Last edited:

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Well I had a pretty productive day. Started out playing Aero Fighters Special. I was actually just going to try out out for a bit but I liked out so much that I ended up playing completely through. I played mostly with the F-14 but I couldn't tell what the difference was when the wings were in or out on the long press.

Then, me and my son tackled U.N. Squadron. That was a hell of an experience since I'm such a big fan of the SNES version like I mentioned in my other thread. Both are so fucking awesome in their own ways. The only bummer was that I couldn't hear it very well because the cabinet was near some very very fucking loud pinball machines.

So we finished the game and since Carrier Air Wing was in the same cabinet, we switched it over and went ahead and played it all the way through. Fun game, and I loved the graphics. Really liked how it seemed so much like a sequel, but I think it's kinda missing the soul that UNS has.