Am I the only one who thinks the DS is a Piece of shit?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
You act suprised at this. Remember the original GB? Then they made the GB Pocket (with about a million special editions). Then (in japan anyway) they made the GB Light. Then they made a GB Color. Then they made Super GB and Super GB2.

Its called "were a business and we need to make money".

Years ago when the GB Pocket came out, I was all like OMFG how small is this!?!? I never thought before the Pocket that they could make so small Consoles.

And now I look at the GBA SP...

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
The more I play the DS (Mario 64 extra games and XX:XY), the more I feel there is a huge market for cheap, on the go games on this sucker.

I love these games that you cna play for 5mn in the subway and that "slingshot" game from Mario 64 DS is perfect and makes genial use of the touchscreen.

I am hoping for companies to realease all these all "game & watch" compilations for cheap (like its gonna happen for cheap).

Yep, I like the DS (expect for its design) and I am sure some ingenuous people will come up with more great idea for it... imagine a RPG like AD&D, endless possibilities... same with card games (Magic...) playable on network.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Not really, if you believe you can really enjoy REZ in a small TV with small speakers, you are seriously wrong.

This game was nothing but a massive and intense shock to the senses, just like the Tokyo Drome REZ event, this game was seriously tied to electonic music, DJs, and the rave/night scene.

It displaying vector graphics and heavy lightning effects isn't connected to any kind of "gaming rebellion", it's just a powerful experience for your eyes and ears.

I don't think you can pidgeonhole things as easily as that. REZ was more than just a shock to the senses and was more than trance psychadelia. and I think the concept would translate perfectly to the DS.

why are you so adamant on shutting the door on something that has the potential of changing gaming habits? you of all people - so evidently conservative.
for once nintendo does something interesting and you are proclaiming it stillborn. your argument that few game makers will take advantage of the DS' potential is flawed. give it a chance, and enjoy the sheer potential it offers. why not?

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
why are you so adamant on shutting the door on something that has the potential of changing gaming habits? you of all people - so evidently conservative.

Me conservative? Haha, seriously no. I love the DS concept, but I don't believe that nowadays game developers are as creative and talented to make use of the system's amazing potential. Just like you are dissapointed with "standard" gameplay, I am dissapointed with what most developers offer us these days.

DevilRedeemed said:
for once nintendo does something interesting and you are proclaiming it stillborn. your argument that few game makers will take advantage of the DS' potential is flawed. give it a chance, and enjoy the sheer potential it offers. why not?

I cannot enjoy "potential" alone, I can enjoy performance.

On paper and design, the DS has a lot to offer. But on what it's software offers at the moment... nothing really stunning.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
In my junk email account, I must average at least 8 offers for a "free" DS a day.

Oh, and pictures of goats fucking midgets. It's great.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Don't be so sure about that.

Sony fabricates it's own chips, that cuts costs down so much it's not even funny. Sure the initial cost is a killer, but you make it back so quickly, especially if you can do volume. It's like the PS2. Now it costs Sony practically nothing to make an Emotion Engine core, yet they still can sell it at $150 a shot.

I'm sure the PSP is expensive to produce, those screens ain't cheap, but considering Sony itself manufactures most of the parts going into the machine anyway, the costs are probably a ton lower than you'd expect. Nintendo on the otherhand has to go out and buy all their parts for the system, with the manufacturers making profits on that. Sony doesn't have that issue and gets most of their parts at cost.

I really think this is why the PSP has as much power as it does at such a low price point.

You're right that Sony produces a lot of its parts - but not all parts... Not all chips. Many times, the cost isn't from producing - but from paying royalties on technology used to create chips...

But at $199, the PSP has to cost about $20 to make... hehe.

Everyone will agree when their PSPs break... hahaha.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
I cannot enjoy "potential" alone, I can enjoy performance.

On paper and design, the DS has a lot to offer. But on what it's software offers at the moment... nothing really stunning.

I will agree with you, if only because you make reasonable points and unfortunately the DS already seems plagued with middle of the road franchises. there is no veering from the path at the moment. but nintendo could in theory try to champion the hardcore posse as well as keeping the nintendo fanboiery in line. but nintendo is not sega (I mean yesterday's sega).

Eric

Fight On!,
chimpmeister said:
That's it. Do I "hate" Nintendo? No, I hate the fact that they RIPPED OFF a lot of people with their crap over the years, though.

Tell that to people who have had their PS2s break (including some who have gone through more than two)

PS: Anyone know the projected battery life of the PSP?

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Eric said:
PS: Anyone know the projected battery life of the PSP?

No, but it hasn't stopped people from pretending they know. ;)

Someone asked an interesting question earlier in this thread - something like "how many people knocking this have tried it?".

Maybe without realizing it, you're starting to see the bigger picture. The DS has a major image problem. Does Nintendo have anything coming to fix this?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Nick Goracke said:
Someone asked an interesting question earlier in this thread - something like "how many people knocking this have tried it?".

That was me.

Maybe without realizing it, you're starting to see the bigger picture. The DS has a major image problem. Does Nintendo have anything coming to fix this?

???

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I usually don't like FPS, but I have to say I was impressed with some of the controls on Metroid Prime Hunters demo. Tapping the screen to shoot is a big improvement. Now if only they could fix the controls to turn samus around...

We'll see how the DS goes. I think Feel the Magic proves that the touch screen and microphone isn't a gimmick, and that it can be used in actual game play. It'll be interesting to see how Wario Ware turns out for it. That's the game I bought the system for (Along with Feel the Magic and Sprung)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
The only things that really tempt me about DS is the man-sized D-pad and the potential for cool things with the touch screen. I really don't think it's going to be as big of a flush as the Virtual Boy...shit, it's already sold more than the VB ever did. I just wish to God they'd given it more gfx muscle...seeing Mario64 without anti-aliasing (imagine a Saturn version) was kind of a shock. I didn't like the way it played with the D-pad either.

Oh well...it's just be a slicker-looking GBA with a chat proggie for me.
And if anything cool comes out, so be it.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
well i went to target tonight to give this another chance, the one i played at walmart had mario 64 running on it, the target one had a metroid promo cart running on it. the game isnt bad, but it's hell controlling an FPS with buttons and a d pad. graphics look nice, but up close stuff is real pixilated and there is no anti-alaising on the 3D.

i still think the buttons and D pad feel like a McDonalds toy, so fucking flimsy and cheap. you could NEVAR play a fighting game on this worth shit, hope the PSP is better, or give me a neo pocket anyday....

BTW target was already sold out, the guy told me he got 30 units, and they sold out the 2nd day.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
exactly, which is why it's basically pointless to argue which is better at this point (actually... I find it pointless to argue which system is better at any point, but at least later down the line, you have something to go on, instead of making blind assumptions on games you haven't even seen or played yet)
I don't know... I always just found system wars, and the people on message boards whow perpetuate those wars, to be pretty stupid - granted that stuff isn't as rampant here as it is in some other places, but there's most certainly a little of it floating around, and I just don't get why people would even bother to argue about two systems future at this point, so early in their life
Dang it, that's what I was saying. You could have quoted the rest of my post and saved yourself some typing.
Average Joe said:
I guess you can go straight to the graphics as being a selling point... but really, the DS' graphics aren't bad, they're just not as good as the PSP's - but if graphics make a system for you? then hey... congratulations, I guess your purchasing choice will be an easy one
All I was saying about comparing Ridge Racer was that there you have pretty much the same game, made, I'm assuming, by the basically the same people. Of course looks aren't the most important aspect of a game. But at that point, if everything else is equal, why wouldn't you choose the one that looks better? What I went on to say (or at least what I meant -- it may not have been clear) was that you can't judge either system based just on any one game.

Pretty much every post I've made in various threads on this topic, I've said I'm waiting 6 months to choose either or both. Even that will probably be too soon to really tell.

wasabi said:
Everyone will agree when their PSPs break... hahaha.
Could be, but what about ResOGlass' thread? He's having problems with his DS being shoddily made on his first day of owning it... Even the worst Sony will usually make it through the first week.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Dang it, that's what I was saying. You could have quoted the rest of my post and saved yourself some typing.

it's rare for me to type more than a sentence per post

so when the moment comes when I actually feel like stating an opinion in paragraph form, I just go with it, regardless of it making sense or not

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
Don't let Nintendo PIMP slap you !

TonK said:
I can't see how so many people can hate w/o even owning a fucking system?.

It's pure and simple really... I and other gamers here, who can remember the days "oldy but goldy" were Nintendo was KING... because they really had great innovations then... and in those days they had EARNED respect... but now I really believe that all they do today is PIMP out old old stuff with no cleverness or innovation... and it's just so predictable.

I don't feel like being PIMPED no more :oh_no: ... and even though GBA was nice... it had more potential... and I will put money down just to prove it's basically dead in the water... not lasting as long as the good old original GB... a bad sign in it's self.

Now Nintendo got to earn back my lost respect... because ever since the weak N64 days, I have totally lost confidence in a lot of things with the Nintendo "seal of approval."

Last edited:

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Since the DS plays GBA games, I don't see how Sony can win this battle. The GBA is so far ahead it is like the Gamecube and Xbox taking on the PS2 for over all sales.

If you are just going to compare sales of the DS vs the PSP, that might actually be close. However...Nintendo would still dominate the handheld market.

Anyway...I picked up three DS systems for Christmas and will be buying a few DS games as well as some GBA games.

As for faulty DS systems, maybe Nintendo has learned a thing or two from Sony after all. I know that I purchased three PS2 systems :very_ang:

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
Games, yall, Games.

Most of the games I've seen for the DS don't interest me.
The ones I've seen coming for the PSP do.
I've played the DS twice, at EB, and Target. I was not impressed.
I think Sony's going to take the lead in the handheld market.
Yes, I think Nintendo will survive, but they'll be in second place.

Maybe, the DS will have a game I MUST HAVE that will make me buy a DS, but so far I'm sold on the PSP.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I just bought a DS for one of my Nephews. But really what is the main market for Handhelds anyway. KIds. Hell that is why Pokemon carried the Gameboy so far. Parents buy them so the kids have something to do while being drivin around. Nintendo owns the Kids market. By the time the PSP comes out the DS will drop to $99 or $129 I imagine. I am not saying the DS is better then the PSP, but it is a better Kid system. If technology counted in the grand schema of things we would all be playing turbo expresses still.

Last edited: