Am I the only one who thinks the DS is a Piece of shit?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I hope that Nintendo starts making "new" games for their franchise, instead of just porting them from other systems.

I'm glad that they've made Zelda: the Manish Cap, which should have come much sooner (well, it's Capcom, but it's still a new Zelda on GBA). why haven't we got a new 2D Mario platformer on GBA yet is beyond me.

now they will port Mario64. I have nothing against that. but come on, Nintendo. you know this is not enough for us. just make new god damn Mario and Zelda games.

I still think that the DS is much better than the PSP (handheld PS2), but I'm getting both anyway.

DS = more creative/interesting
PSP = must-own titles (nothing so far, but there will be many of them for sure)

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Mushiki said:
Hahaha, that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

At first, Nintendo "hid" SGI Onyx workstations displaying graphics that were never possible on the Nintendo64, and claiming there were indeed graphics being performed by proto-type "Ultra64" systems.

Let's not even mention the Nintendo/Rare/Midway campaign with Killer Instinct. "Available in your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra64!" - Sure. These companies even claimed that the "Ultra64" was far more powerful than the Killer Instinct hardware, and that the consumer release would be even upgraded, enhanced and optimized. Look what they delivered. Killer Instinct Gold.

The Nintendo64/Ultra64/Project Reality is definately the most over-hyped and dissapointing hardware ever released, seriously.

I don't think they were Onyx Systems.. their dev kits were SGI Indy's.. I know because I own one.

What? You didn't enjoy KI Gold? You didn't enjoy one of the greatest fighters of all time when it was broken to all hell and looked like you had vaseline spread over your eyes when you played it?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DashK said:
i felt so cheated when i never got a home port of KI on the N64, KI gold was shit.

And Killer Instinct was supposed to be the release killer app.

But then the system turned into the Nintendo64... was not even released in 1995... and everyone seemed to "forget" about Nintendo's initial promises.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Meh, I'm happy with my purchase as well. Now, I'll agree that the 3D sports games do look like ass, but I bought the DS for the stylus games, future RPGs, mint first party titles and AAA third party titles. Guaranteed I'll get all of that by second quarter next year.

me = content

Wario Ware
Animal Crossing
Castlevania
Dragon's Quest
Final Fantasy

...compared to the snor-fest that is the PSP's lineup, please. All this talk of the PSP nabbing a majority of Nintendo's gripple-of-a handheld market...is pure tom-foolery.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
I don't know about this handheld shit and I don't plan on buying either one... but it seems to me that the DS is a handheld N64 (complete with a fancy schmancy touch screen... fucking wow) and the PSP is a handheld PS2, and their respective prices are in the same ballpark. I know that gameplay has little to do with graphics (usually), but I mean fucking come on. I predict that the PSP will win this war.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
VanillaThunder said:
I don't think they were Onyx Systems.. their dev kits were SGI Indy's.. I know because I own one.

What? You didn't enjoy KI Gold? You didn't enjoy one of the greatest fighters of all time when it was broken to all hell and looked like you had vaseline spread over your eyes when you played it?

I was so pissed when I learned that KI wasn't an unlockable in KI Gold. :(

I played the crap out of the SNES version of the original, and I was super happy when I found out you can emulate the original arcade version now. :)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
I don't know about this handheld shit and I don't plan on buying either one... but it seems to me that the DS is a handheld N64 (complete with a fancy schmancy touch screen... fucking wow) and the PSP is a handheld PS2, and their respective prices are in the same ballpark. I know that gameplay has little to do with graphics (usually), but I mean fucking come on. I predict that the PSP will win this war.

wire-less multiplayer feature is the best thing in these new systems imo.

and yes, I think Sony will win this time.

Tacitus

Staff member
I think most people are losing sight of what this system is out for.

Sony took a shot with the PSP to dethrone the Big N. Knowing that their next handheld is going to be a while down the pike, they couldn't let Sony get another "headstart" unimpeded.

So, they quick pull one of their little brainstorms out of mothballs.. something cheap and gimmicky.. enough to give Sony some competition to trip up on until they can release the next GB console.

All this is.. is a diversion and misdirection to Sony.. something to keep them from rolling over the handheld market.

Think about it.

Nintendo has already stated they don't care if it tanks.. why? Because it's doing what they want.. fighting Sony's product.

No one.. and I mean NO ONE in the game industry forgot what a big headstart did for Sony.

Tacitus

Staff member
JHendrix said:
I was so pissed when I learned that KI wasn't an unlockable in KI Gold. :(

I played the crap out of the SNES version of the original, and I was super happy when I found out you can emulate the original arcade version now. :)

Me too.. I bought it immediately when I saw a copy of KI:Gold out there. From now until the end of time, KI is my favorite fighter of all time. Underrated.. with such a DEEP fucking system. Much respect to it..

Hopefully, the rumors are true.. and there is an XBOX KI title in the works... imagine how sweet that would be... 'cept it probably won't be 2.5d with insane rendering.. that's a dissapointment.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Me too.. I bought it immediately when I saw a copy of KI:Gold out there. From now until the end of time, KI is my favorite fighter of all time. Underrated.. with such a DEEP fucking system. Much respect to it..

Hopefully, the rumors are true.. and there is an XBOX KI title in the works... imagine how sweet that would be... 'cept it probably won't be 2.5d with insane rendering.. that's a dissapointment.

if the new KI 3 is 3-D, we are almost assured the first KI will be unlockable on the disc. :buttrock:

seba_boi

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Wow... Seventeen members currently looking at this thread...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:

What's your definition of "deep"? Most of KI was automated, with the exception of a few glitches.

10 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:

Sony took a shot with the PSP to dethrone the Big N. Knowing that their next handheld is going to be a while down the pike, they couldn't let Sony get another "headstart" unimpeded.

So, they quick pull one of their little brainstorms out of mothballs.. something cheap and gimmicky.. enough to give Sony some competition to trip up on until they can release the next GB console.

All this is.. is a diversion and misdirection to Sony.. something to keep them from rolling over the handheld market.

Think about it.

Nintendo has already stated they don't care if it tanks.. why? Because it's doing what they want.. fighting Sony's product.

No one.. and I mean NO ONE in the game industry forgot what a big headstart did for Sony.
So they purposefully designed a piece of shit and rushed it into the market just to tide people over until the release of their next system? They must've taken a page right out of Sega's 32X playbook.

That makes no sense, Jack. You don't release gimmicky handheld feces as a way to ensure the success of your next handheld system. You and your theory are riding the silly train.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
It looks horrible. Does Nintendo even bother to playtest their products anymore? :oh_no:

First of all, fuck yourself. We all know your opinion, so shut the hell up for the last time.

With that said, I also don't think it looks good... at all. It's amazing that they would settle for N64 graphics, while the PSP is coming out with close to PS2 graphics. I just don't get it.

The games aren't there, either. I usually love Nintendo hardware/software, but I don't care about this one bit. I can't help but think it's Virtual Boy all over again. Even I got that at launch, but I can't say I will do the same for this. I can't remember the last system I did NOT buy at launch besides this one.

Spike

DashK, you are not the only one for whom these feelings are shared... (i just happened to have Dead Horse by GnR stuck in my head as I read this post :tickled: )

The DS.... sigh... part of me feels its a step sidewards. Part forward for its radical idea of 2 screens, one being a touchscreen, a step backwards for it being a portable N64 and not a portable GC. It has THE WORST gamepad buttons ever in a handheld; I cannot even fathom using those tiny buttons for fast gameplay man. I've played games on PDA's with better buttons.

I got sick of Mario games after SMB3, and when Yoshi and his other friends came about, i'm like.... outtahere dude.

I will likely buy a GBA SP with some Xmas money after the holidays are over, now that I know the DS is not for me. Yea the screen isn't the best in the world, but it has plenty of great 2D and 2.5D games to play on it, plus GB compatibility.

And PSP surely has my attention in the coming months, that's for damn sure. I mean shit, a beautiful 4" Diagonal 16:9 widescreen on a portable... I mean come on guys... how can that NOT be attractive, despite poorer battery life?

I dislike Sony alot; mostly for its lack of wanting to put SNK's 2D stuff on the US system, and its shoddy hardware. But its software library is really schweet and its portable is just simply appealing as all hell.

Tacitus

Staff member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
So they purposefully designed a piece of shit and rushed it into the market just to tide people over until the release of their next system? They must've taken a page right out of Sega's 32X playbook.

That makes no sense, Jack. You don't release gimmicky handheld feces as a way to ensure the success of your next handheld system. You and your theory are riding the silly train.

Take your face away fromt the hookah, my friend.

It makes perfect sense.... when people talk about this gaming generation and how it was won.... what is the first thing they say?

nintendo will not go gentle into this good night.. The DS is running interference on Sony. They need to hold on to the handheld market to survive.. everyone knows it.. so you put a gimmick out there to take some market share from Sony.

It's great marketing.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
And Killer Instinct was supposed to be the release killer app.

But then the system turned into the Nintendo64... was not even released in 1995... and everyone seemed to "forget" about Nintendo's initial promises.

its true. and how long did the public have to wait for the release of the N64? sooo long. but then Mario64, Starfox64, Pilotwings64 - all early games - really made the system excellent fun. and at the time there was really nothing that could beat mario64 - there still isn't.
I think the PS2 promised as much and delivered little (though not 'as' little).

If they do some decent shooters on the DS - using the touch screen - then that will be cool. graphics really don't matter if the games are there. seriously. nothing beats Radiant Silvergun to this day and it was done on now dated hardware.

PSP- my main worry is that it'll break - and quickly. And the battery life is an issue.

In the end though - Sony know what the masses/mainstream wants - and they have this one in the bag (in the US and europe at least).

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
VanillaThunder said:

Think about it.

Well initially Nintendo did say that the DS wasn't a replacement for the Gameboy, however I find it hard to believe that the fate of the DS isn't a concern for Nintendo. They can't just have a product like this tank and not feel it.

It does make sense that it would take Nintendo a few years to catch up to Sony tech wise. Sony is able to sell the PSP with so much power for such a small amount of cash because they can fabricate their own chips, meaning they get stuff for pennies on the dollar power wise than what Nintendo can buy from a 3rd party chip manufacturer.

Really though, putting out the sacraficial lamb isn't going to do Nintendo any good, once Sony comes in and takes the market Nintendo will have lost all the brand recognition they used to have.

Remember back when we were kids grown ups didn't say "oh they're playing videogames" they all said "oh they're playing Nintendo". Didn't matter if I had a Genesis they still called it the Nintendo. Now I hear parents at work say "oh he's playing Playstation" even when the kid is actually on an XBox or whatever.

Like I said before, I see Nintendo just loosing this one to Sony, again. If they don't do well with the DS and repeat the GC in the next gen of home consoles I think they may move 3rd party like Sega had to.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Why do I prefer the PSP over the DS? I, like most people on this forum, love fighting games. PSP has Darkstalkers. Also how the hell is a fighter going to work on a dual screen?

Imagine playing KOF, Garou, SVC, CVSII, CFJ/CFE on a PSP. How can that not appeal to you? The PSP is certainly capable of running any of these.

Now imagine that on the DS :)

10 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Take your face away fromt the hookah, my friend.

It makes perfect sense.... when people talk about this gaming generation and how it was won.... what is the first thing they say?

nintendo will not go gentle into this good night.. The DS is running interference on Sony. They need to hold on to the handheld market to survive.. everyone knows it.. so you put a gimmick out there to take some market share from Sony.

It's great marketing.
No, putting a bad taste in the mouths of your demographic is not a good marketing strategy. If people feel alienated by the quality (or lack thereof) of the DS then they'll be far less likely to invest much thought in the next Gameboy Advance system. From what I've seen thus far the DS looks like doody... bad design.... gimmicky touch screen.... many suffering from low quality Chinese production...

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I just want to play Ridge Racer on it. It looks fun. Sure its not nearly as purdy as the PSP one but if its based on the gameplay of RR64 then that is a huge bonus to me.

Also as a technical side note:

Is there not anti aliasing on this thing? It doesnt look like it.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Ironic that the people who are against the Nintendo "fanboys" ride Sony's dick.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Here's the basic run-down for me:

1. There is only one game I have any interest in. It doesn't release till 2005.

2. Of all the other future games previewed, NONE of them seem attractive.

3. Call me a graphics whore if you like, but visuals help to bring the player into the world presented, and the DS games simply look horrid.

4. Mr. Reggie really killed it when he said "It's like having the power of the N64 in your hands." True, it's not actually based off the N64 hardware, but games (Especially Ridge Racer), look like first generation PS games. Even the 2-D games previewed in Famitsu two weeks ago look worse than GBA games.

5. While I commend Nintendo for trying new ideas, they seem to have forgotten the understanding that good competition makes positive growth. They spend so much time saying "We're not competing with the PSP" that they have made a system that ON PAPER and in a mainstream market will be destroyed by the PSP.

If they want to pretend that the PSP and the DS are two different markets, fine, but the truth is that they are the same market, and I see the PSP winning this round. Right now Nintendo has over 15 years of dominating the Hand-held market, and Sony won't be able to take that away. But, this particualr battle will be won by Sony. I'm sure the DS will have some great games later, but in a market decided by the majority, Nintend has made a poor, poor choice.

Tacitus

Staff member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
No, putting a bad taste in the mouths of your demographic is not a good marketing strategy. If people feel alienated by the quality (or lack thereof) of the DS then they'll be far less likely to invest much thought in the next Gameboy Advance system. From what I've seen thus far the DS looks like doody... bad design.... gimmicky touch screen.... many suffering from low quality Chinese production...

Heh... Does anyone else hear the alphabet soup that is : Nintendo DS SP?

HAHAHAH... it's going to happen.. it happened with the GBA.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
TonK said:
Ironic that the people who are against the Nintendo "fanboys" ride Sony's dick.
I am no sony fanboy. I would consider myself a gameboy fanboy. I hate the PS/PS2, but love the idea of the PSP. Meanwhile the DS just leaves an aweful taste in my mouth.

EDIT: lol just read stinky's post about the bad taste.

Last edited: