XRGB 2+ and SCART

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
So, since I have the 1st generation AES I have sync at pin 7?

Yes.

Should I open the DIN end of the cable you made and move the wire from pin 3 to pin 7 and give that a try?

That's easier said than done. Opening the DIN plug would be difficult for me and probably impossible for you. The rubber strain relief will not slide back on the cable without lubricant applied under it. Believe me, you risk making the cable unusable.
It would be easier to mod the system. You just need to remove a resistor and move one side of another resistor, as shown in this pic:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5549/s20200681.jpg
(I can give you tips on how to do this easily)

Does the euro J adapter need to be changed also?

No.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Snip, snip, snip, move, solder would be the easiest but not the cleanest.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Great news!

Be careful that with the cable left hanging like that the XRGB socket will bend under the strain over time, possibly leading to bad contact issues (it's a common problem with the socket of scart TVs). To avoid that you could attach the adhesive holder I put on the cable to the side of the XRGB.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Great news!

Be careful that with the cable left hanging like that the XRGB socket will bend under the strain over time, possibly leading to bad contact issues (it's a common problem with the socket of scart TVs). To avoid that you could attach the adhesive holder I put on the cable to the side of the XRGB.

Thanks MKL.

I dont have the AES setup anywhere right now. I'm just throwing it all together when I use it.

I should be picking up a switch to install tonight. So I can go back and forth between composite and RGB. I didnt think of it when I did the simple mod, but I was disabling composite as an option.

There shouldn't be a problem installing a switch between the power and DIN plug right? Short length of wire will be OK you think?

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I tried installing a 2 position switch but it did not work.
The switch selects what pin gets the resistor 3 or 7. RGB works but composite does not. Im guessing it is because composite requires a resistor on both 3 and 7. That being the case there is no way to put a switch to select C or R output.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4685/001kfq.jpg

You need to lift the resistors from A and B and solder them (with wires) to the external contacts of a SPST switch. Then solder a wire from B (on the PCB) to the middle contact of the switch.

Thanks, can you tell me what value the resistors are, is it 100 ohm?

Also, in the end no wire goes back to A on the board?

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
68 ohm (it's also printed on the PCB).

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
68 ohm (it's also printed on the PCB).

I saw the 68 but I saw the 100 too and not knowing too much about that stuff, I wanted to make sure.

I installed the switch as you instructed and it worked perfectly.
Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I saw the 68 but I saw the 100 too and not knowing too much about that stuff, I wanted to make sure.

I installed the switch as you instructed and it worked perfectly.
Thanks!

Either way you should learn how to read resistor color codes for future projects.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Either way you should learn how to read resistor color codes for future projects.

Yeah, true. You know the 68 ohm resistors I purchased at Radio Shack ( the one I clipped out wasn't usable) had different color bars than the ones in the Neo. Maybe because what I purchased was 1/2 watt and the ones in the Neo are different?

Rawit

n00b
After receiving my XRGB 3 I tried my Neo Geo AES on it... super unstable image. After reading this thread I tried modding the SCART cable to get composite sync instead of composite video, and now in B0 mode the image is great!

However, in B1 mode I only get an image for less then a second and after that the image remains black. No blue screen, no "No INPUT" or anything. Just some flashes of the game now and then.

How can I fix this? Do I need to clean the sync or do I need to change settings within the XRGB 3 menu?

My current B1 setup is:

- Neo Geo AES with Euro SCART cable;
- Euro SCART to RGB21 adapter;
- XRGB-3;
- VGA output of the XRGB-3 connected to a Gefen VGA to DVI scaler;
- Apple Cinema Display (alu, 23 inch).