Your First MMORPG?

Borgeois

n00b
Mine was Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds.

Though, technically, I did play a few MUDs before that...

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
Mine was FFXI on my PS2. Just the packaging with the HD and all made it worth getting the game and setting it up took me about 2 hours but really enjoyed the game. Played it for about 8 months and then stopped since I couldn't afford the $15 a month deal.

Stopped with a lvl 45 warrior and lvl 20 Dark Knight.

Waiting for XIV once they fix all the issues, I might try it out.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Dark Age of Camelot which I played on a friends account.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Everquest. I was in a couple months after it came out to play with local friends and ended up staying with that game for about 5 years off and on.

Geralds

Kula's Candy
Mine was FFXI on my PS2. Just the packaging with the HD and all made it worth getting the game and setting it up took me about 2 hours but really enjoyed the game. Played it for about 8 months and then stopped since I couldn't afford the $15 a month deal.

Stopped with a lvl 45 warrior and lvl 20 Dark Knight.

Waiting for XIV once they fix all the issues, I might try it out.

Lol waiting for one of the worst games ever made to get fixed keep dreaming even after a year its still total garbage. There already merging servers getting rid of over half of them and ffxi has more players then it. Still verry little content still to many bugs and they promis after 2 years it might actualy be freeking playable.

Last edited:

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
I'm def hoping they will fix the bugs and get a working game going. I played it for about 2 days but must say that it was pretty bad.

Don't have much experience with MMORPGs as XI was the only other one and also Guild Wars for a month or so.

BTW anybody waiting for Guild Wars 2? That and FFXIV are the 2 I'm looking forward to.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I don't know if MUDs count, but I played a couple of them in the mid 90's in the library at college. One was fantasy based, and the other was Dune based. It was awesome.

My first "true" MMO was Everquest. I had some buddies playing Ultima Online, and I think I messed around with it a little, but it never really hooked me the way EQ did. I have a lot of good memories from my EQ days.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I had messed around with MUDs back in the day when I was in 7th and 8th grade.

I played Ultima Online briefly.

I played Asheron's Call briefly.

I have not played an MMO since and I'm not sure I ever will.

The closest I plan to get is Diablo 3.

I am intrigued by the Old Republic.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Asheron's Call and several years later WoW. Currently avoiding MMO's like the plague. I enjoy my free time just a little to much to let a MMO eat the little I have left these days.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I don't know if it really counts, but I played Pangya for about a month ages ago. The grinding and micro-transactions pissed me off though.

First true MMORPG I ever played was Ragnarok Online (via a hacked server). Music and graphics were nice, but the game was boring.

I then played a bit of Guild Wars some years later, which was alright.

I don't think MMO games are really my thing, but I'd consider giving Guild Wars 2 a shot at some point.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im dating myself by saying ultima online.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Asheron's Call followed by Wow. I tried out a few others but didn't stick with them including Conan and LOTR.

Conan I was actually getting into but I felt a little late to the party. The population was low and most of the servers had already been merged. It went FTP, but I thank that is just a temporary population bump. Kind of wish I had message around with it during its first 12 months of release.

$16,000 for a virtual sword haha

Last edited:

Geralds

Kula's Candy
I'm def hoping they will fix the bugs and get a working game going. I played it for about 2 days but must say that it was pretty bad.

Don't have much experience with MMORPGs as XI was the only other one and also Guild Wars for a month or so.

BTW anybody waiting for Guild Wars 2? That and FFXIV are the 2 I'm looking forward to.

They can fix it all they want there still going to be serverly lacking on content. There always going to be isues were the player base want you to have said job said skills to the point you will have to basicly level all job to appeas the player base. A year from now they might actualy have a freeking auction house they might actualy have a funtional linkshell/guild system. They might actualy make crafting not so much of a bore. They may actualy speed up gameplay instead of making combat slower and using auto attack and an excuse. They might actualy get connent right instead of lacking content and making up for it by giving the alustion they have content buy making everything take to damn long. They are already merging and getting ride of half or more of the servers because that how little people play 14. No offence but every mmo square-enix has done outside of ffxi has failed.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Does PSO count? That was my first online RPG game. After that it was City of Heroes then FFXI and finally WoW. Only one I play now is City since they made it free to play. Which I'm glad they did because even with the influx of new players it's still hard as hell to get a team going. Their fun, but I'm sick of paying 15 bucks a month regardless of how long or if I don't play it at all.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
My first and last was WOW. One day, it was beautiful outside and I said to myself, "why am I here when I could be at the beach?" and that was the end of it.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
WW2 Online, known now as Battleground Europe.

Thee best WW2 simulator game that exist to this date. Graphics are not pretty but everyone is connected to 1 online world, where you can kill each other and not some BS limit of players per map crap that all of you next gen console gamer's are used to.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
FF XI was my first MMO.

Played like an insane madman for 5 and a half years.

A lot of shit went to the wayside because of it.

My wife played with me, and we had a great static made up of all local friends. It really worked well.

Met a lot of great people in the online community as well.

Very hard game that required a lot of hours and dedication if you wanted to be the cock of the walk.

Some of my fondest memories in gaming, bar none. Too bad S-E forced us all to quit with their draconian customer service policies. They probably could have taken a page from Blizzard's book for that.

Tried WoW. It sucked. I quit.

Tried XIV. It sucked. I quit. Admittedly, they were a lot nicer on the customer service side the second go around. Maybe they DID learn.

Refuse to play TOR because, you know, fuck George Lucas.

I am going to see what S-E does with XIV. I am excited by everything they're announcing, but I will not install that abomination on my PC again until I hear the buzz to determine if it's worth my time. In it's current state, nobody in their right mind should be paying to play it.

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Some friends got me into EQ in the summer of '99.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

Do I really need to tell the sordid tale of why George Lucas can go to hell without passing go or collecting his 200 bucks? I think the pop culture of hating on Lucas is out there in the public enough to explain why I, a fan from the age of 7, can no longer knowingly give any of my money to this man or any venture he is involved in.

You could watch The People vs. George Lucas for my answer. Or even watch Half in the Bag's two part interview with the director of the movie.

Or any of the Plinkett prequel reviews.

Or you could cue up that picture of Lucas raping a stormtrooper.

TOR looks like a great game, and my friends are digging it. I'd play it if I didn't have to pay for the game or the monthly subscription.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2 was the first MMORPG I got into. My friends and I all went out and bought the game shortly after it was released and we played it pretty regularly for about six months. The first PC MMO I put any time into was EQ2, but it didn't do much for me.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
FFXI was my first MMO. From US Closed Beta til 4/2011 on and off. Had some good ppl to play with over the years on Leviathan and did every endgame option available. Went to a CoP launch party by SE in San Jose and was added to the Atomos test server for ToAU closed testing. Quit as a 90NIN 90PLD 90SAM as the game lost the fun and challenging factor because most of my friends were no longer playing. So I was dealing with Emo selfish gear whores.

Alpha and Beta tested XIV. Got XIV at launch played for 2hrs and deleted the game. All the testing and bug reports submitted were still there at retail, a pure slap in the face from the 1st Dev Team. I might try XIV again in 6-12 months since there is a new team. If XIV isn't upto part and what I want, it will likely be a longtime before I try another MMO.

Admittedly, they were a lot nicer on the customer service side the second go around. Maybe they DID learn.

They learned by removing 3rd party billing and support. FFXIV support is actual SE employees not subcontracted ppl that say they are SE. Actual Game Masters were the only SE "support" in XI.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
TOR looks like a great game, and my friends are digging it. I'd play it if I didn't have to pay for the game or the monthly subscription.

I think this game is more a product of Bioware than Lucas...so it's hard for me to get behind Lucas hate directed at TOR. Particularly given that the Old Republic is itself a Bioware creation and not the drivel that is Lucas' prequels.

Unless you're just not down with ANY Star Wars stuff anymore.

I think it's a damn shame we haven't had a new Xwing or Tie Fighter game (or Rogue Squadron) in some time.