You guys ever play a game around Christmastime?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ssia

Of course doesn't have to be a winter themed game or anything, just something you always play when Christmas is coming.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
SamSho III, Final Fight, Nights.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I boot up Christmas nights in December partly for the season and partly to check that my Saturn will still boot up and play discs since the prior year when I played Christmas nights.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
DKC was the original Christmas time game for me. Played the hell out of a rental copy before the actual day, then got it as a gift and just kept on playing.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Usually doom / doom 2.
Not always and not yet so far.

For a melting pot or confluence of technology, culture, sub-culture and just expression it just occupies a near unassailable point for myself, not just nostalgically but in a kind of objective point in time when so much of that was developing...

... And it turns out to still be a pretty fun, even if the once groundbreaking graphics may now be the weak point it's still fast, immediate, got some tricks, sounds great and is satisfyingly visceral to play.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
No, I barely play games the rest of the year
However I'm taking my pocket and will play some smw or roms to pass the time

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I usually play some old games that I got as Christmas presents way back when. This usually includes Super Mario World, Sonic 2, Final Fight CD, Terminator CD, a few others. I used to play Snatcher every Christmas too but that's the kinda game that isn't that enjoyable if you replay it too much, so now it's more of a once every few years thing.

This year, I did run through Snatcher, Final Fight CD, and I 96 starred Mario World a couple of times. I still need to run through Terminator CD and I might add Mario 3 to the list since I did get that at Christmas as well. I'm not sure why anything past the 16 bit era doesn't really have the same warm Christmas fuzzies, I guess by that point the Christmas magic from being a kid is gone.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
We usually play a board game like Monopoly or Clue.

Escape From Colditz gets played around Christmas to New Year in my family. You basically collect rope, wire cutters, and anything else you might need to escape Dr Shroom’s basement. Most players are prisoners of war trying to escape, but one player gets to be a Nazi and try capture the escapees. It’s fantastic fun, especially if you as the Nazi get the ‘shoot to kill‘ card. Imagine the arguments over Christmas dinner because you shot your relatives in the back as they tried to run to freedom.

As other’s said, Christmas Nights is a joy to play around this time of year. I’d also chuck Max Payne 1 in that list as it’s set around Christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Escape From Colditz gets played around Christmas to New Year in my family. You basically collect rope, wire cutters, and anything else you might need to escape Dr Shroom’s basement. Most players are prisoners or war trying to escape, but one player gets to be a Nazi and try capture the escapees. It’s fantastic fun, especially if you as the Nazi get the ‘shoot to kill‘ card. Imagine the arguments over Christmas dinner because you shot your relatives in the back as they tried to run to freedom.

As other’s said, Christmas Nights is a joy to play around this time of year. I’d also chuck Max Payne 1 in that list as it’s set around Christmas.
Oh shit, totally forgot about that game, we played that all the time at my grandparents. Great memories.

Also, wyo, don't give me this 'Clue' shit. It's Cluedo and you know it.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I don't really have a set game I play only at Christmas time. An old member here, Kristoff, comes into town every year to visit me and his family so we play all kinds of shit while he's in town. Honestly, it's one of the highlights of my year - not too many friends around in my 40s that play games as incessantly as I do so it's nice to look forward to a time each year to revert to a 16 year old and play old games with your bestie, get stoned as fuck and eat shit food.

Had a killer Devils Crush MD competition the other night, played some Super R-Type, and of course tons of Neo and CPS2 stuff.

Personally, been having an excellent time with Powerslave Exhumed on Steam over my x-mas break. Excellent remake/remaster of a very underrated FPS Platformer.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I never really find myself playing games over the xmas break, mostly just lounging around and eating/partaking. Besides it's summer time!

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Batman Returns on snes, a Konami beat em up. Great Christmas game.

Attachments

• 20231225_195224.jpg
    20231225_195224.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Not really but for me I really associate early ps1 games with Christmas…