you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

L

lamuna

Hello everyone. I just got addicted into collecting Neo Geo AES games, and stumbled upon this forum while searching the web! Many great contents here!
I'm from South Korea, actually from the U.S. but at the moment living in Korea...Collecting retro games, especially Neo Geo is a big thing!
Well anyway, looking frward to being a part of this community as well :)

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Hello from F(i)unland

I finally decided to join the dark side. I haven't been much interested in retro gaming, although I have two Amigas I sometimes use. But late last year my friend, who is member of the this forum and proud AES owner, asked that could he hold small Neo-Geo meeting here at my place because I have man cave with home theater/gaming room. I was not unfamiliar with NG because I have done some soldering for his and I said why not.

So two weeks ago we tested connecting NG to my projector using his scaler/scanline/whatever apparatus, found the setup working nice and played some. Then something clicked in my head and I decided that I really really really need one. With my friends help, I ended up getting MV1c (still waiting for it) for consolization project.

Because I already play with micro-controllers and do stupid things with electronics and I'm also familiar with both mc68k and z80 machine language I kind of hope the Neo-Geo to be All-In-One hobby. Playing, customizing and maybe even programming (yeah right...as I would have any time as family man). I also thing that my hobby/workroom has nice empty spot in one corner. As it would need cabinet there, we'll see where this hobby goes after the consolization.

I try to build the system this winter / spring. I'm always doing ten things same time so these just takes time. I'll try not to ask stupid questions here, I'll save them for my friend.

And here is a fact sheet about me:

Gaming Consoles and home computers:
A500, A1200, 2*PS3,PS4,XO, PSP, PS Vita, NDS, N3DS and soon Neo-Geo MVS

Other hobbies:
Cars, computers, movies, martial arts and other brain damaging sports.

Family:
Wife, 2 kids & 2 cats.

PS. I'm dyslek...dysxt...dyslexic, so there might be weird mistakes. Btw. did I mentioned brain damaging sports? :D

Fretzy

n00b
Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I just wanted to pop in, say hello, and maybe explain why I'm here a little bit. I don't want to subvert the point of this board, so I'll start off with my Neo-Geo history.

I've never owned an MVS or AES. I've been exposed to many of the classic NG games, but have never had the opportunity to experience them outside the arcade. Always wanted one of the home consoles, but couldn't afford it. That is, until the NGPC. I grabbed up a NGPC back around the time they first hit State-side. I bought "Dark Arms: Beast Buster" along with it as my first game and loved it! Shortly after I got the system the only game store in the area that carried the games closed up shop, so I'm somewhat ashamed to say I tracked down a blank cartridge for the thing (I was a teenager, and poor. I've changed my ways, I swear!) . Played with it quite a bit before relegating it to a box where it sat for almost 10 years before I sold the system and the "linker" to pay some bills. So that's my SNK story.

Now... for the real reason I'm here. In the early 2000s I was running a small fan-site for a less than well known japanese animation series, Armored Trooper Votoms. I was a teenager and it was practically my whole world at the time. During the course of my fan-site administration I met a motley bunch of characters that shared in my Votoms obsession. Those were great times, and a lot of fun was had on the forum and through IRC. Over the years my life took a turn and my interests changed. I began to drift away from the anime scene and in the process lost contact with a lot of people I'd come to appreciate. I'm here today to track down one of those lost friends. I think you know him as "Mike Shagohod". I knew his as, simply, "Gunner"... though I suppose at times I simply referred to him as "you incorrigible b*st*rd". I'm hoping that someone on this board has a way to contact him that he'll see, via private message or a current email or whatever. I'm not sure he's still active here, though quick googling shows that he'd at least made an appearance in April of last year. I'm probably coming off as a bit stalker-ey, but frankly I don't care. I'm hoping to reconnect and at least catch up with him. If anyone has the ability, please, shoot him a message and let him know Fretzy is looking for him. I imagine he'll remember me.

In any case, thanks for listening to my long-winded story!

takuguy

n00b
New to Neo, but have always been a long time admirer of the hardware. Parents could barely afford a SNES when I was a kid, so I settled for that. Now that I've come of disposable income age, I think it's time I made my old dream a reality.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi

I've just joined the Neo Geo world with a Japenese AES, I was going to get a MVS convertor so I could get my hands on rare/cheaper games that I couldn't get on the AES, but after looking at the price of convertors and reading how flakey they can be sometimes, I was thinking of just going the whole hog and and getting a MVS board.

Are there certain boards I should get or avoid? I can see a MV-1FZ on ebay at the moment going for around £60 (I'm in the UK)
What are the pro's and cons of getting a Supergun or doing it yourself. I kind of tempted to do it myself because then i wouldn't need a bulky ATX PSU as well.
Do these boards come with controllers ports for the AES controller?
I've ordered myself a XRGB mini upscaler, what's the best type of video output I should wire up, RGB? If I go this route I take it I don't need an encoder?

I appreciate any help :).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
@Del 707: Welcome to the forums and all but you can read up on all your questions across these forums as well as the net in general... and this isn't the best place to ask about that stuff, let alone discussing it.

Stiletto

n00b
Hey Stiletto, made you a thread in General here.

You should really stick around though, folks on here are nice, give good deals to the community, invent incredible new hard/soft, know their stuff and will give you a helping hand if you turn out to be one of the good guys ;) This place only has a bad rep because scammers, flippers and noobs that come here solely for the market (and/or misbehave) are run off very efficiently.

Thanks. I'm not a NeoGeo fan actually, just stopping by to see if anyone knew this card. I mainly use and help develop arcade, console and computer emulators and the early days of NeoGeo emulation (and interactions with its rabid fans) left, shall we say, a lasting impression. ;)

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well just bought myself a MV-1FZ with 2 games from Spain.

Can't post threads, so just a quick question for any UK owners, where did you get your small parts, i.e RGB, PSU and controllers sockets?

leftypem

n00b
So, I'm new here too, and I'd like to ask a few questions. However I can't start new threads. I've always wanted a real Neo Geo, and one of my best friends and I have finally made the leap! We are building our very own cMVS units :-D We do, however need some detail guidance regarding power. The link in the wiki for Jameco runs to a discontinued SKU, and I have several alternatives. Which one is best? We want small and efficient. Will this do? https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2103222_-1

My apaologies for such a huge first post, but I am very excited about this project, as well as finally cutting my Neo Geo teeth! I'm really looking forward to joining the community, and learning even more about a system I had so many great memories of growing up.

Vans

n00b
Hello everyone!

I've been a fan of SNK games since I was a little kid, to the point where I've done research on how its fighting games (and some of the shooting games work). :D

I've recently acquired quite a bit of hardware in order to actually play the games I love as they were intended (out of an MVS!) but I'm not entirely sure as to how set everything up correctly yet. I was meaning to ask some of the more experienced guys here in this board.

Should I be asking my questions in a more general tech related thread?

It's nice to be here! Will see you guys around. :D

nickv

n00b
Hello from Toronto Area, Canada.
I know a few regulars on this site so I figure I might as well stop creeping and start posting.
I collect all styles of arcade equipment, not just Japanesse stuff but I personally Love that stuff and Candy Cabs the most.
I have prob around 300 Arcade machines and close to 500 Arcade boards, Scogon can vouch for that.
2 Blast Citys with brand new Toshiba Perfect Flat tri res Monitors. Lots of Naomis, Namco Systems, 20 Cps2 games, lots of imports and to tell you the truth i havent gone through all the boxes of boards i own so i dont even know. Once I can start posting on here I will list some stuff for sale. Also have crazy taxi, tron, nintendo red tents. lots of stuff, as you all know this hobby is a Disease that seems to have no cure but to buy more and more.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Hello from Milwaukee Wisconsin!

You will see me around once I get started. I plan on making few posts regarding a 4-slot MVS I will be picking up soon! Very excited to be part of this community and hope I can contribute something in the near future! (Least I plan on it) :glee:

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Greets from NYC!

New to the forum, but longtime gamer/arcade addict. I worked at arcades in the SF Bay Area in the mid to late 90's, then game tested over at Atari + Midway for a bit. I got a bunch of consoles and a couple PVM's, but a recent 3 week Tokyo trip that inspired me to finally fulfill the dream and get a candy cab. Chempop recommended this forum to me from arcade-otaku, and I'm really glad he did. 'Tis a fine community ya'll got here!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Greets from NYC!
Chempop recommended this forum to me from arcade-otaku, and I'm really glad he did. 'Tis a fine community ya'll got here!

You... realise... chem is actually after only ONE thing.... teh SECHS!

... I hate to admit it... Chem is the local chat rapist....

xROTx

DEZALB

n00b
Hello from the US(texas). cant post new post so ill post in here. Im 29 now, i grew up playing street fighter 2 but when i was young i remember playing on Neo Geo cabinets the most. The fact i could select different games was amazing to me. While i played many neo games the ones the i remember the most and played through the years were the kof series(98/2k/2k2 being my fav), samurai shodown and metal slug. Infact i played alot of kof through the years, more so than the capcom fighters which i barely started playing again. Anyway, ive been wanting to restore an arcade cabinet and i plan to get a 2 or 4 slot mvs cabinet. I will be learning on these forums plus just checking out all the cool neo geo fighter related topics. Once i source out a neo cab locally at a great price i plan to replacing the stick and buttons with seimitsu parts. never liked american parts growing up.

Dragonlee

Zero's Secretary
Hello all from downunder,
I finally decided to bite the bullet and join here.
I collect all types of neo geo related from consoles to mvs.
In my collection I have a cd top loader games,aes collection and mvs collection.
Im big sega collector which I hope it doesn't get mouthful about it but been around collecting arcade and consoles over 25 years.
So I hope im welcome and be part of a new family.I have many candy cabs from Aero city to Naomi cabinet to play my arcade pcb boards.
cheers
DL

Jimbot

n00b
Hello from Massachusetts.

I'm here because of Giantbomb's Jeff Gerstmann's Neo Geo stream they had a couple months ago (and all the Windjammers matches since). I really liked and surprised by what I saw since I really never paid attention to the console before. I got myself an Omega (got lucky too, it was around the holiday rush and it was sold out most days I checked) online and found a couple controllers from a local vintage game shop. Since the New Year I've gotten about 10 games for it so far and enjoyed my time with it immensely. There are still titles out there I want to pick up and I still want to spruce up my collect with shock cases and fold-ins. I wish I gotten into this stuff sooner so could have put some money towards that Kickstarter by the Arcade Works guys to produce better looking plastic shells for the game.

I look forward to discussing games and maybe buy a few Neo Geo carts for my library from the market boards.

SuperForte

n00b
Hello to everyone. I am from Indiana. Just got into arcade building and got interested in the world of Neo Geo. Will have a CMVS soon and
hope to do some Neo Geo gaming and discuss everything Neo Geo on this forum.

SHOGUNATE_LSD

War Room Troll
I guess i kind of hijacked someone's thread trying to find this information but i'm looking for more in depth help on turning a controller like a snes or genesis controller into a neo pad, any help i would really appreciate :)

I even have a 8 button PS3 fighter joystick that can be gutted and rewired kicking around.

SHOGUNATE_LSD

War Room Troll
Sorry I don't see a button to edit here? But if there is someone making controller adapter cables that'd be even better.