Xbox soft mod failure...help me fix it!!!

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
So my friend came over on friday and we tried softmodding his xbox using the MechAssault exploit with a video card. Well the installation failed, and now I can't even get the system to boot into a game (which did work after the installation initially failed). All I get when I power on is the Xbox logo, and then a black screen. If I press the eject button, it will go back to the Xbox logo and will not proceed to the original xbox dashboard or evolution x.

Any ideas? All help would be appreciated. This is my 4th mod, and the first 3 all worked perfectly.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
It won't boot, even with a game in? No error?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Grab a modchip. At only $10-15/ea its silly to ruin a console these days to save a few bucks.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
IMTheWalrus said:
Yep, you put a game in and get the xbox logo, and then a black screen
You may have had some static charge zap it or something... if it won't boot to a game, well... your xbox is fucked. That has nothing to do with the softmod as it doesn't even read the hdd at that point.

xmods said:
Grab a modchip. At only $10-15/ea its silly to ruin a console these days to save a few bucks.
1. Modchips are not $15.
2. Some people actually want to do this legally.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
2. Some people actually want to do this legally.

Using a software exploit would still be illegal under the DMCA.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Well it could be a hard drive failure. If that is the case then you could just get a new HD and use HDmaker to create a stock xbox partition. If it is something like the bios being corrupted or some other hardware short then you may be in trouble.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Using a software exploit would still be illegal under the DMCA.
Modchips are, by definition, for running copied games. A softmod's primary (and original) purpose is to run Linux.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
Modchips are, by definition, for running copied games. A softmod's primary (and original) purpose is to run Linux.

Also Illegal under the DMCA....

And intent has nothing to do with it...

The DMCA is an evil, evil law.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
A Modchip running the Cromwell BIOS is legal.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
68k said:

Tell that to Microsoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_BIOS
It is unusual in that it is a legal firmware (because it does not use any of Microsoft's code to function) and was developed primarily through reverse-engineering of the original MS bios and its boot process.

Violations of the DMCA are in BOLD.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
68k said:
Ahh, but do they sell them like that?

And I'm not circumventing any copyprotection if the BIOS that I patch in still won't let me run backups. And reverse-engineering is not illegal.

20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Tell that to Microsoft.

Why do you think every Xbox modchip ships with the Cromwell BIOS? :p

That BIOS basically only lets you prep a hard drive.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
All I know is that if you can't hack your own damn Furby, than you can't put Linux in your Xbox.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
norton9478 said:
All I know is that if you can't hack your own damn Furby, than you can't put Linux in your Xbox.

Well, I had succeeded in 3 other installs, including my own personal xbox.

I think the modchip solution is the best one. If anybody has any specific ideas to fix it easily, let me know. It does seem like it's a bios problem, because that's the only reason I see for it to stop booting games like that...

20 Year Member
A hardware or software exploit is not illegal, what can make it illegal is how you use it.

Installing Linux on an Xbox or a Furby is not illegal :p.

Installing Linux on your Xbox and using it to play teh ROMs or copy games, that is illegal.

Read the DMCA, you'll see what I mean.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
IMTheWalrus said:
Well, I had succeeded in 3 other installs, including my own personal xbox.

I think the modchip solution is the best one. If anybody has any specific ideas to fix it easily, let me know. It does seem like it's a bios problem, because that's the only reason I see for it to stop booting games like that...
Wait, wait... were you actually flashing your BIOS? Why???

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
SpamYouToDeath said:
Wait, wait... were you actually flashing your BIOS? Why???

No. I had done this softmod with MechAssault 3 times successfully. I think the BIOS are the problem with the failed install from what's happening. I have not actually touched the BIOS

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
IMTheWalrus said:
No. I had done this softmod with MechAssault 3 times successfully. I think the BIOS are the problem with the failed install from what's happening. I have not actually touched the BIOS
But if you were doing a font exploit, why would it even touch the BIOS?

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
SpamYouToDeath said:
But if you were doing a font exploit, why would it even touch the BIOS?

Truth be told, I don't know the science of xbox mods. I just followed the very simple directions, and it worked, so I didn't ask questions.

The reason I say it's the BIOS is because of the opening Xbox screen, then just a complete blank screen. It seems to me that if it was a hard drive problem it would still attempt to do something after the Xbox logo comes up since BIOS in a PC basically dictate boot order.

I didn't even know it was a font exploit, whatever that is...

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
IMTheWalrus said:
Truth be told, I don't know the science of xbox mods. I just followed the very simple directions, and it worked, so I didn't ask questions.

The reason I say it's the BIOS is because of the opening Xbox screen, then just a complete blank screen. It seems to me that if it was a hard drive problem it would still attempt to do something after the Xbox logo comes up since BIOS in a PC basically dictate boot order.

I didn't even know it was a font exploit, whatever that is...
:oh_no: Do some research before you try these things...

Well, try using an IDE swap method to restore the hard drive using a Slayer's disk.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
SpamYouToDeath said:
:oh_no: Do some research before you try these things...

Well, try using an IDE swap method to restore the hard drive using a Slayer's disk.

Well, you may think I'm an idiot Mr. Condescension, but I do understand computers and I knew people who did this mod. I got a couple tutorials, but it didn't go into what exactly was happening, and frankly, when I did my Xbox I didn't really care if it failed because I have a 360. As I said, I got it working 3 times on 3 other boxes including my own, and this is the only one that failed and I did nothing differently. So please hold your judgment.

I've already decided that if I'm going to open up the box, I'm just going to attempt to use a mod chip and see if that makes a difference. I get the feeling it will.