Xbox original mod using a more current setup for a friend.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
This is my first time messing with this mod and I have most of the concept down. I am just wondering about what HDD setup is best going for 500GB and reasonable price. Seems there are a lot of new things people are doing, like speeding up load times using an 80 wire IDE, remove super capacitor, etc... So I am a little lost on what is the best overall softmod and hardware build doing all of that.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Make sure to back up the Hard drive keys first if you haven't already.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
thats very interesting. i had no idea this type of thing existed.

I did it with mine, probably didn't play much without the mod to be able to tell the difference, but supposedly it does cut down on load times and is super easy to install

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
This is my first time messing with this mod and I have most of the concept down. I am just wondering about what HDD setup is best going for 500GB and reasonable price. Seems there are a lot of new things people are doing, like speeding up load times using an 80 wire IDE, remove super capacitor, etc... So I am a little lost on what is the best overall softmod and hardware build doing all of that.

This seems kind of obvious but if you're running the softmod make sure you're using an official microsoft controller as with some of the softmod software a third party controller won't work, I was sitting on my mod for months just because I couldn't wrap my head around that

My modded xbox has a 250 gig hardrive (the 500 gb ones aren't as cheap nowadays as they used to be) an 80 IDE cable and a fan control that speeds up the fan to try and keep the box from overheating, there's all kinds of shit you can do with old school xbox's though nowadays it can be such a pain that if you're looking for a rombox you might as well pick up a rasberry pi, it's also nearly impossible to find some rom files nowadays though actual game files for the xbox are still fairly easy to track down, I did all this maybe a year ago, transferring from the computer to the xbox over ethernet doesn't always work as well as it should and sometimes I can't get games to run, theres a pce emulator I got running though and it plays Rondo of Blood perfectly, good luck with the mod!

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah, I am thinking of doing the TSOP flash so I don't have to worry about locked HDD. Was considering getting a IDE to SATA convertor for newer drives as well. This is mostly being used for Xbox games on HDD and I have a good CoinOPS 8 Massive download ready to go. As long as it runs Killer Instinct 1 and 2 along with most classic arcade games, he is happy. He is using this on a CRT even though it won't go under 480i. I guess for HDTV I may talk him into using a RasPi. On the plus side, once I mod his Xbox, I can easily mod the 4 systems I have sitting around using the regular memory card.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
OG Xbox is awesome.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I got 3 modded xbox's, 2 with mod chips and 1 softmodded.
I used to fuck about with them a lot a few years back.
Chimp is the easiest way to softmod long as you got a modded xbox already that you can clone with the program.
Back up your hdd eprom first though as kp said and always use an official controller like neuroticmoose said, very sound advise.
Don't think you can tsop flash 1.6 xbox's so bear that in mind, and the 80 wire ata cable is only used when you're sticking a sata hdd in your xbox.
The standard 40 wire cable causes a bottleneck between the xbox and the sata, and you'll end up with a slower xbox.
With an ide hdd, you will not notice any difference with an 80 wire cable.
Xbox is notoriously picky with sata hdd's as well.
Also remember to get the longest 80 wire ata cable that you can, seriously, it needs to be 24 inch's at least. there's a crazy amount of origami folding involved when fitting the new cable.

EDIT.... sorry guy's it's been a while since i messed with the xbox, chimp is only for cloning an already modded xbox's hdd to a bigger one.
No good for softmodding.. my bad, apologies.

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Also, not to hijack the thread but my own softmodded xbox was acting weird last night on startup, I ended up replacing the IDE cable that was in there and now it starts up but the initial boot process is super slow, I read this could be because the hard drive is failing or because I'm using the IDE cable that came with the xbox, I ordered another cable but I'm worried I'm going to have to get a new drive as well

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
not 100 percent on this but pretty sure game selection is a big difference between the two, I'm not aware of any emulators made to run on the wii

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH there are tons on the Wii. You can even softmod the Wii side of a Wii-U.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I just threw coinops 8 lite on my softmodded oxbox, it's pretty sweet. Arcade stuff for the most part plays great. Highly recommend.

fake

15 Year Member
How are soft-mods done these days? Back in the day I used an Action Replay with a specific Mech Assault disc.

For modding, what are the pros and cons of Xbox over Wii?

Wii is great for 8-bit and 16-bit games, but not much else. I couldn't get any arcade games running well, if at all, on the Wii. Even '80s-era stuff would choke.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
How are soft-mods done these days? Back in the day I used an Action Replay with a specific Mech Assault disc.

Wii is great for 8-bit and 16-bit games, but not much else. I couldn't get any arcade games running well, if at all, on the Wii. Even '80s-era stuff would choke.

1st part- Afaik, much the same way. A hacked save, and Mech Assault or Splinter Cell (or a couple of others, I think). You can use an AR or a hacked USB stick.

2nd part- Agreed. The hardware for the xbox is better equipped for MAME than the Wii, and I'm not sure how emulation would get better for the Wii.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For modding, what are the pros and cons of Xbox over Wii?

The Xbox can do a lot more games than the Wii, but the stuff that the Wii is good at, it does REALLY REALLY well. Also, if using a SDTV Wii emulators can run at 240p. However if you are using a HDTV, an Xbox can run emulators at 720p with scanlines, looks as good as a Framemeister.

I prefer the Wii for NES, SNES, Genesis emulators. Neo Geo Virtual Console games are also great, but there are games missing. The Xbox is much better at arcade games, Mame support on the Wii is weak.

fake

15 Year Member
1st part- Afaik, much the same way. A hacked save, and Mech Assault or Splinter Cell (or a couple of others, I think). You can use an AR or a hacked USB stick.

2nd part- Agreed. The hardware for the xbox is better equipped for MAME than the Wii, and I'm not sure how emulation would get better for the Wii.

Cool - how do you connect a USB drive to the Xbox? Just curious.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The Xbox can do a lot more games than the Wii, but the stuff that the Wii is good at, it does REALLY REALLY well. Also, if using a SDTV Wii emulators can run at 240p. However if you are using a HDTV, an Xbox can run emulators at 720p with scanlines, looks as good as a Framemeister.

I prefer the Wii for NES, SNES, Genesis emulators. Neo Geo Virtual Console games are also great, but there are games missing. The Xbox is much better at arcade games, Mame support on the Wii is weak.

That's about where I'm at too. The arcade stuff runs great on the xbox, and the console stuff runs better on the wii.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I spliced a non-powered USB hub to a controller dongle. When you do this, the USB stick (not sure if a drive works) gets formatted unless you formatted it through Windows. It's been awhile since I've used it, but I still have it stored away.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
4 gig rings a bell KP but don't quote me on that.
Best to use 256 mb or 512 mb and the older the better.
Xbox is stupid fussy with usb stick's.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I spliced a non-powered USB hub to a controller dongle. When you do this, the USB stick (not sure if a drive works) gets formatted unless you formatted it through Windows. It's been awhile since I've used it, but I still have it stored away.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

damn. i didnt think there was any reason use my xbox over my wii for any emu stuff but this definitely changes things. the wii really is lacking with MAME and NEOGEO support (but makes up for it with VC games)

i'll definitely have to look in to it.