Xbox Live Speed up down quick question

jeff10

Kula's Candy
Hey guys I have a quick question...First I will tell you what I have.

I currently have dsl through my phone/cable company my speed is 1meg up and 1 meg down.....I pay 59.00 a month yeah its high but its a brand new company with all brand new lines etc. At&t doesnt offer anything over 380k where i live
it works just fine,,,

here is the question,

My cable/phone company is offering a deal on my internet if i sign a 12 month contract, the contract isnt a big deal, I dont plan on switching ...

the deal is this

2meg download and 354k upload for 39.95...

Will the 2meg down and 354k upload work 100 percent fine, I am just worried about the upload speed....

I can download stuff faster on the pc etc, and save 20 dollars a month, but if it doesnt work, I cant switch back without it costing me 100 dollars becasue I break the contract.

Does any one have a fast download and slower upload....From what I have seen there is hardly no one with upload speeds like I have 1meg...

just curious, I cant afford there 3meg up and 3meg down, its 98.00 a month but that woul be sweet.

any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

thnx:A: :B: :B: :A: select start
:D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You dont really have to worry about the upload speed. Mine is only 256k and it's perfectly fine. Right now I'm with Clearwire and gonna change within the month to maybe roadrunner as Clearwire doesnt fully support UDP but the rep said that just around the corner Clearwire is getting WifiMax which is gonna bump the speeds up a bunch and will then "supposedly" fully support UDP.

I'm on a month-to-month with them so I cancel whenever I want.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also ask them if its 3 Megabytes up and down or 3 MegaBITS up and down, megabytes would be sweet.

jeff10

Kula's Candy
t

yeah its three megabytes up and down...But almost 100.00 is alot of money, If I could get AT&T , (i live to far out there connection is 6 megabytes down and 512 up for only 39.99 month....But I live 1500 ft to far to get it.. At&T can only give me 1.0 and I connect at 456down and 150up,,Sucks...but I am happy with BBTEL, I have my cable,phone,dsl all one package for around 120.00 a month...

So xi do you get any lag with you upload, If not I will switch mine when my RROD xbox 360 comes back...This is number two.......I cant complain though I won my in the mountain dew every ten minutes contest,,lol my buddy kept talking shit to me saying he had the halo one and he had no problems,,He shut up when I asked him how much he payed for it,,,lol, I had a total of 3.00 is mine....But any way thanks for the reply, I was beginning to wonder if anyone didnt have t1 t2 connections anymore.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You're almost certainly wrong on mb vs mB. No way someone would offer 48mbit cable.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
You're almost certainly wrong on mb vs mB. No way someone would offer 48mbit cable.

would be sweet though. I think DSL here offers the "up to" 11 megabits/sec. What does roadrunner offer?

jeff10

Kula's Candy
s

I am trying everwhere to find what type of set top box i have, it looks identical to the motorola dct2500, except the back is different, a phone line runs in the into the back, next to it is another spot where I plug a cat5 dsl cable into the back and thats my internet.....

I was just wondering if there was ways to hack these systems, for more channels etc, or if its all controlled by the cable/iinternet provider....I know when I have a problem with a channel, I call them and sit on the phone and they can do wierd stuff to the channels and box...

does anyone know of another model I have looked everwhere and cant find anything other than the dct2500...I need to learn how the cable guys pull up signal meter etc,,,,I watched them one day push in some buttons and bring up all kinds of menu settings but would not tell me how. They said they would get fired??

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
I have no idea what you just said. Can you repeat that with some punctuation or in a list?

;)

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
WOW, thats expensive man, don't bother, you should be able to get a better deal somewhere else.

Don't pay that.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Wow, we pay $40/month for 1.5M DL DSL and I think that's expensive.

All I really need for speed though, I don't download anything, and Live and Tetris DS works fine for me.

SNKNostalgia

Fighting Artist
You know, I use to dog on Comcast charging me $60.00 after the first 3 months. Now, I don't feel so bad about it with 8Mb d/l surfing and 16Mb d/l files with power boost. The $50 plan is 6Mb d/l surfing and 12Mb d/l files. The upload is suppose to be 384Kbps but if uploading large files it actually runs 4x faster than DSL of the same rated upload speed. I never really upload large files, more of just online gaming is what I get use out of it.

Lately the On Demand Digital Cable TV has been all fucked up for the past 3 weeks. Yet the internet works fine.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's really more about the ping time, not the supposed up/down speed. Although speed can't hurt (usually goes hand in hand with a good ping). An extreme example: Satellite Internet may advertise a fast download speed, but it's too slow for gaming because of the slow ping.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very true, ping time does make a big difference. With Clearwire my average ping time out of 10 pings to yahoo were 127ms, now with RR it's 85ms.

So far since the switch I have had no lag on Live at all.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
SNKNostalgia said:
You know, I use to dog on Comcast charging me $60.00 after the first 3 months. Now, I don't feel so bad about it with 8Mb d/l surfing and 16Mb d/l files with power boost. The $50 plan is 6Mb d/l surfing and 12Mb d/l files. The upload is suppose to be 384Kbps but if uploading large files it actually runs 4x faster than DSL of the same rated upload speed. I never really upload large files, more of just online gaming is what I get use out of it.

Lately the On Demand Digital Cable TV has been all fucked up for the past 3 weeks. Yet the internet works fine.
You're confused. The "power boost" is how fast you can pull down on a newly opened TCP connection. After a few seconds it cuts back to your normal speed. So you're surfing at 16mbit, downloading at 8mbit.

And you're running bittorrent and gnutella at 0mbit because they rape the connection.