WTB: Super CD-ROM2 Attachment

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a SuperGrafx that could use a Super CD-ROM2 Attachment. Anyone have one in good working order for sale?

Alternatively, I already have the RAU-30 adapter. So a CD-ROM with Super System Card 3.0 (JPN) or Arcade Pro Card (JPN) would work as well.

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi,

This is the most current sale of a Super CD-ROM2 attachment here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202414&highlight=super+cd-rom2

Excerpt:

PC Engine Hardware:
Super CD-ROM2 System - good condition, power supply and power jumper included - $75 (or $120 if you want the PC Engine unit too, making it a full system) - SOLD -

So, $75 for the CD-ROM2 system?

I also have an extra Lords of Thunders CD-ROM (US) with the UPC missing. How about $35 credit towards the CD-ROM2 system for that?

-Rob

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yes, I know it's sold. I was using that as a price check on what to offer him for his Super CD-ROM2.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
oh, those units are hard to find one that will last. Lasers or motors are ususaly bad by now. DUO-R and RX are worth the extra money if you want a system you will play alot.

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was just going by the last sold Super CD-ROM2 here in the forums. What price did you want to sell the Super CD-ROM2?

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Still looking, guys. If you have a Super CD-ROM2 for trade/sale, let me know. :-D

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
oh, those units are hard to find one that will last. Lasers or motors are ususaly bad by now. DUO-R and RX are worth the extra money if you want a system you will play alot.

I disagree. Super CD Rom2 attachments last way longer than Duos. And Duos have a nearly universal capacitor issue AFAIK, so...yeah. SUPER CD ROM ROM FTW

(Free bump, good luck.)

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
i have two broken super cdrom2s if you cant find a working one and want to try to fix it.

everything seems to work but the laser doesnt read anything. there should be info on replacement lasers at pcenginefx.com.

two busted cdroms, no more video or sound on my express, and low audio on my duo. gotta fix these things some day. :oh_no:

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Fuck...nevermind. I just turned it on after years of non-play and the fucking thing doesn't read shit anymore.

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks for the input, guys. It's kinda scary to know that Super CD-ROM2's also have issues. Or at least the three discussed here have had issues. I actually have a US region-switch-modded TurboDuo that had its sound completely go out. I replaced every single capacitor but 4 I couldn't get to easily and the sound came back about 90%. But the CD sound still cuts out after a while. I have a SuperGrafx 'laying around' so I figured I'd region-mod that and get a Super CD-ROM2 and an Arcade Card and be able to play anything I wanted from JPN or US in any format. But finding a (working) Super CD-ROM2 has proven a bit harder than I imagined.

I've also considered a Duo-R/Duo-RX, but that would still leave my SuperGrafx in the box in the closet as I only have 2 SGFX games anyway... and they're not even the good ones. I don't have 1941 or the Ghouls n Ghosts games. Curiously I do have 1 Arcade CD-ROM, but no Arcade Card either.

Anyway, I guess I'll still keep holding out for a working Super-CDROM2. Then I'll region-mod my SuperGrafx.

Soo... bump again! ;)

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a CD-ROM2 with an Arcade Card Pro, but I'd only let them go if you're willing to buy my reprint Sapphire along with them...I really don't want to get stuck with just the game and nothing to play it with.

What's a reprint Sapphire go for anyway?

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Anyway, I guess I'll still keep holding out for a working Super-CDROM2. Then I'll region-mod my SuperGrafx.

I recommend keeping your SuperGrafx as-is. I have a region modded SG myself (the last one D-Lite sold before getting out of the scene, AFAIK). Although I have never tried it, the rumor is that Aldynes does not work properly on a modded SG. According to D-Lite:

http://www.multimods.com/regionmod.html
* Certain games have known issues with region mods on the SuperGrafx system:

1. Aldynes - plays fine, but if you allow the system to go into Attract Mode (demo at beginning), it will freeze.
2. Space Harrier - game apparently loads and then quickly freezes.
(Although, IIRC, Space Harrier doesn't work on SuperGrafx at all, with or without a region mod.)

Here is a thread with more info at pcenginefx.com: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2472.15

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
. Although I have never tried it, the rumor is that Aldynes does not work properly on a modded SG.

(Although, IIRC, Space Harrier doesn't work on SuperGrafx at all, with or without a region mod.)

I was the one that originally pointed these errors out to D-Lite. The Supergrafx he modded for me was probably the second or third one he did.

Aldynes works great on a Supergrafx. The only problem is when you decide to watch the opening video. It freezes right as the planes are getting bombed, near the end.

Space Harrier doesn't work at all. Rather, it DOES work UNTIL you push ANY BUTTON! So, as long as you don't push anything, you can at least watch the attract mode.

Jon

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks for the heads up about gamedoctorhk. Anybody buy from there? It looks like it's damaged cosmetically. I guess it's not that big of a deal. I'm more concerned that it says "( not include the samll power cord connect to Pc-Engine console )", but one of the pictures shows a power cord, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I don't want to be missing a piece to make it work with my supergrafx.

Also, with shipping it's about $150. Is that a good price?

fullnelson

n00b
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The small cord powers the pc engine from the cd rom...but you can power any unit you are using by just making do with the power cord for that unit in conjunction with the cd-rom and its power cord.

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks for the cord info... well, looks like gamedoctorhk.com has a 1 month delay on all shipping due to volcanic ash or something. So still looking... I think very soon I'm might have to go down the region modded Duo-R/RX route.