WTB: Genesis with Stereo A/V

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm looking for a Genesis with Stereo A/V. Don't care which model it is or if it is modded as long as it is clean looking.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are you looking for a modded one or one that outputs Stereo/AV naturally? From your post I'm not sure if you know but I'm pretty sure the Genesis 2 model outputs what you'd want naturally without needed to be modded.

A crapton of those are on ebay all the time.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
All Genesis 1 also throw stereo, through the headphone plug. And sound is great on those (choosing carefully).

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If the Genesis 2 model throws out Stereo I will probably just pick one of those up then. Any advantage to getting a modded one?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Genesis 2's do have stereo out of the multi out with no mod, but they have different sound chips in different revisions of motherboard, and some of them are awful. VA0 and VA1 boards have terrible sound. VA2.0 and 2.8's are better, but still bad. VA3 and VA4 motherboards fixed the sound, I actually use a VA3 for most of my gaming. The earlier ones can be fixed by modding it with a Mega Amp, the 2.0 2.8s in particular sound amazing with the amp.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Genesis 2's do have stereo out of the multi out with no mod, but they have different sound chips in different revisions of motherboard, and some of them are awful. VA0 and VA1 boards have terrible sound. VA2.0 and 2.8's are better, but still bad. VA3 and VA4 motherboards fixed the sound, I actually use a VA3 for most of my gaming. The earlier ones can be fixed by modding it with a Mega Amp, the 2.0 2.8s in particular sound amazing with the amp.

That's some good info. So by looking at the outside of the system can you tell which chip it has?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Not really. You can at least tell if it's a VA3 or VA4 though. On the bottom there are vents, and the bottom of the Genesis motherboard is covered by an RF shield, so you should see the aluminum through the vents. VA3 and VA4 boards are a lot smaller than the others and don't cover all the vents, so it's easy to tell by looking at the bottom. For everything else you'd have to see the actual motherboard to tell.

If you want a Sega CD as well you may consider an X'Eye. They are expensive, but so are Sega CDs, and I'd imagine the price for a X'Eye is probably close to a Genesis + Sega CD combo these days. The X'Eye has phenomenal video and sound, the only reason I got rid of mine is because I have several cd setups and I Neptuned one of my model 2s.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
That's some good info. So by looking at the outside of the system can you tell which chip it has?

No, you have to look inside to verify. One can assume higher serial #s can be a guide, but this isn't entirely accurate.

zoiks66

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a model 1 Genesis modded with RCA stereo and composite video I was going to put up for auction. If you're interested, let me know, and I can provide pictures of it. I also have a power adapter, AV cables, and a 3 button controller for it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a model 1 Genesis modded with RCA stereo and composite video I was going to put up for auction. If you're interested, let me know, and I can provide pictures of it. I also have a power adapter, AV cables, and a 3 button controller for it.
GTFO of the market forum.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

How much you want for it?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Holy shit a Genesis 1 with composite video and stereo sound from a 0 post member! Hardcore mods!

OP, just get a model 1 Genesis that says High Definition Graphics on it and buy a 3.8mm to RCA stereo adapter. That will give you great sound, no mods needed.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Steve-Carrel-Clothes-Insult-Gif-In-Anchorman.gif

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So an update here. I got the Genesis 2 from Ebay. Video doesn't seem so great on my HDTV so I'm trying to figure out where to go with this.

I should note my modded Neo and Neo CD look great on my HDTV.

With the Genesis 2 I got, I find the text hard to read. Tell me what you think.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So an update here. I got the Genesis 2 from Ebay. Video doesn't seem so great on my HDTV so I'm trying to figure out where to go with this.

I should note my modded Neo and Neo CD look great on my HDTV.

With the Genesis 2 I got, I find the text hard to read. Tell me what you think.

You might have the crappy Samsung video encoder in it. Mine looked like crap on my HDTV. Swapped it out for one with a Sony video encoder and it looks golden. Try popping that thing open and check.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
THe Genesis is horrible in composite, all of them. THe Sony is slightly better, but it's still pretty bad. Use a different video output or a SDTV.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You might have the crappy Samsung video encoder in it. Mine looked like crap on my HDTV. Swapped it out for one with a Sony video encoder and it looks golden. Try popping that thing open and check.

I'll try popping it open later and see what I got.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
THe Genesis is horrible in composite, all of them. THe Sony is slightly better, but it's still pretty bad. Use a different video output or a SDTV.

I took some pics tell me what I got. I don't see a chip labeled Samsung or Sony. Perhaps you meant Sanyo?

Also, I toggled a setting on my Samsung Smart TV and the picture is much better and brighter now (It was very dim before). There's a picture mode setting for AV that I changed from Standard (with an EnergyStar Logo) to Dynamic. The colors are much brighter now and text is easier read and kind of what you would expect from a low resolution game. I was playing Super Hydlide for one of the first times and the video quality reminded me of Zelda or Dragon Warrior on the NES on an old CRT back in the day. I will be popping Gunstar Heroes in next to see how that looks.

See the images here:
http://imgur.com/a/6LGRZ

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It should be the one IC nearest the power connector. It's set vertically in the second pic.

Looking back at the pic, I don't see any text on the IC you are referring to. I may have to pull the thing apart again to take a second look.