WOW, is Magical Drop THAT hard!?

aria

Former Moderator
Superfamifreak said:
Magical Drop 3 scores, Level 4. And no, Vix DIDN'T get that score. It was me.

md3.jpg

Impressive.

How did you get scores that high with times that were that high?

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
BBH said:
actually the first Magical Drop (which had its name changed to "Chain Reaction" in the US) first appeared in the arcade. It's emulated by MAME now if anyone's curious.

what's different about it? Hell if I know, but fewer characters of course. Dunno if there's any other changes.

I had the jamma pcb of MD, wasn't really that hot though I regret selling it. A neat small pcb it was. It was kind of primitive though and not as fast paced as the later games.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Impressive.

How did you get scores that high with times that were that high?

Beat the first few characters really quickly, getting between 49000 and 90000 each time but the last 3 or 4 went right down to the last few drops, bumping the time up :(

aria

Former Moderator
Superfamifreak said:
Beat the first few characters really quickly, getting between 49000 and 90000 each time but the last 3 or 4 went right down to the last few drops, bumping the time up :(

That makes perfect sense. I've got that holy grail of 90k once. It's a bit of a crap-shoot on whether or not you get 49,52 or 90k as those times are almost reliant on the pattern that comes down. Getting too many chains will actually slow you :p

I was guessing you had at least 2 90ks to get those higher scores.

Ever got by Black Pierrot on the first go?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
There isn't a day that goes by that I wish MD3 was ported to XBL.

Oh, to dream... :drool_2: :drool:

Fact, the MN Crew are the strongest Magical Drop players in the land.

Bobak, Ramad and I...we've got this puzzle game on lockdown. :cool: :chimp:

We'll have a more exact estimate of just who's the better MD3 player among us at the next gathering, when we have an AES on hand. Good times will be had again.

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
Bobak said:
That makes perfect sense. I've got that holy grail of 90k once. It's a bit of a crap-shoot on whether or not you get 49,52 or 90k as those times are almost reliant on the pattern that comes down. Getting too many chains will actually slow you :p

I was guessing you had at least 2 90ks to get those higher scores.

Ever got by Black Pierrot on the first go?

I got 2 90k's and a load of 45k's today to get a new high score.

Never did Black Pierrot on my first go. A lot of the time he beats me, but then it just depends on the pattern I get. I've even beated the computer before they have got rid of any drops before.

aria

Former Moderator
Look out, new scores on the way.

Don't worry Superfamifreak, they don't break yours -but they all come close. Actually, I credit you for inspiring them. I was complacent in thinking it was too difficult to reach the 400k plateau.

You made me want to up my game. Problem is I don't have MD3 in Minnesota. But I was home this Christmas and yesterday I sat down and in my second game hit the 400k, and I hit it 7 more times in about 30 games (consequentially, getting to 300k is now a cinch). I swear I actually had a close game with Black Pierrot once... (close being: we were even on numbers and made it all the way to ~100). I still think it's almost blind luck as to whether the bonus is 64/72/80/96...

The new pic will be up tomorrow.

As for Starfox & Pup: when I wasn't going for High Score on level-4, I tried out level 8 and, by jove, you're right --it was a worthy challenge.

I could get to the Old Man without continuing (or much difficulty), but playing him on that level reminds me what it was like to first start playing the game. of course, like all MD3 CPU-controlled characters, the 2nd time is easier. I only had further issues with Empress and Tower. Temperance actually becomes a good opponent on that level. Can't wait to go back home in March.

Until then, time to terrorize the locals in vs. play :D

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
Bobak said:
I swear I actually had a close game with Black Pierrot once... (close being: we were even on numbers and made it all the way to ~100). I still think it's almost blind luck as to whether the bonus is 64/72/80/96...

I'm pretty sure I get the 96/80/72 if I manage to win without them getting a chain.

The Pierrot I've found seems to be pretty random. Sometimes he just seems to give up, others it gets close - by close I mean he got to 000 and I had 001!! - and most of the time... It's as if he's on speed!

aria

Former Moderator
Superfamifreak said:
I'm pretty sure I get the 96/80/72 if I manage to win without them getting a chain.

The Pierrot I've found seems to be pretty random. Sometimes he just seems to give up, others it gets close - by close I mean he got to 000 and I had 001!! - and most of the time... It's as if he's on speed!

The 2nd time 'round, Pierrot is a wuss. It's that 1st game where he just goes for pure domination --I mean, forget Rugal, Dr. Muckley or any other SNK boss, Black Pierrot on the first time is the most brutal Neo Geo opponent eeevar!

Anyway, here are the updated scores I was able to put together in about 3 hours over the holidays (they were all done on level-4, but it's on level 8 because I was practicing for the eventual re-match between MN and LA:

DSC06944.jpg

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
I see you've noticed it's easier to get a high score with Strength?

SSS

neo retired
Superfamifreak said:
Never did Black Pierrot on my first go.

Chances are you never will, the CPU cheats. Watch his jester on the first attempt and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

aria

Former Moderator
Superfamifreak said:
I see you've noticed it's easier to get a high score with Strength?

I've always known that, but what I've learned in addition is that Strength may even be stronger than Tower.

For pure fun (no effect in Strength's ability) I sometimes use "Classic Strength" (the man from MD2). All you have to do is hit all 4 buttons when choosing strength