Would like a review of Andro Dunos from a shmup enthisiast please.

brettybluevein

New Challenger
Please give a short review of how it plays, compare it to other good shooters etc.

It's a lot of money but it looks very fun.

As a point of reference, some of my favorite shooters of all time are Robo Aleste, Raiden (series), Android Assault, Gradius V, Darius Gaiden, and Grind Stormer.

Thanks for any input!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Andro Dunos is pretty meh IMO. I'd say don't buy a game just because it's on the Neo Geo. There is way better shmups arround that you can get for this kind of money.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I recently got it on AES and I love it! It was panned for its simplistic visuals back then in magazine reviews but I think it really holds up well.....love the style.

It somehow reminds me of the excellent "Over Horizon" on NES but I doubt you know that one. Or do you?

brettybluevein

New Challenger
I recently got it on AES and I love it! It was panned for its simplistic visuals back then in magazine reviews but I think it really holds up well.....love the style.

It somehow reminds me of the excellent "Over Horizon" on NES but I doubt you know that one. Or do you?

I guess I'm not familiar with that one. Headed to youtube to look it up now!

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'd say if you like Mega Drive old school style shmups you will enjoy Andro Dunos

That's the best way to put it. And there is a high demand for it in Europe so you can get a good resale value if you decide to let it go.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'd say if you like Mega Drive old school style shmups you will enjoy Andro Dunos

I agree. Similarities to Hellfire, Whip Rush and Sagaia spring to mind. You have a choice of 4 weapons to cycle through and shot, bomb, missile, and shield are individually powered up. Using the smart bomb levels you down and the game has rank. Collision detection is fair. Some tactics and memorization help but you don't need to put a ton of time in to enjoy playing it. Sure it's not flashy like some of the other shooters on the Neo but I think it holds up better than most. It was December's SOTM here and a decent amount of people entered.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Going by his previous posts, I think that he's talking about getting the AES version. According to neogeokult price guide, this game worth anywhere between $200 to $750 depending on the region/condition. There is litterally hundreds of shmups I'd buy with this kind of cash before Andro Dunos. I know this is neo-geo.com but any real "shmup enthusiat" gotta admit that there are way better shmups to get with this kind of cash.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
He wouldn't be asking for a review if he were just going to just put it on a shelf to collect and not play.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well, I've used this line before in the past.

"If you're a shooting game fan first, and a Neo Geo fan second…I'd argue it's a rational decision not to bother with any of them."

However, if you absolutely need to have shooters on the Neo Geo, Andro Dunos is certainly one of the better ones.

But, I mean, if the OP has to make a post like this, he clearly needs to reevaluate himself. Develop an understanding of your needs before you ask strangers what you should spend your money on.

An Andro Dunos homecart shouldn't be on his radar (*cough *cough although it's been on mine way before it was on every scumbag living in the EU's *cough sell me one).

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Andro Dunos is a fun enough game, but it just feels like a game I've played before as stages and bosses feel like they were copied from Gradius/Salamander. That isn't to say it's bad, it's just...well, I'd rather be playing some other shmups that are more unique.

If you have a multicart (it's on most of them), I'd say try it out there and see if you like it.

Last edited:

Phades

New Challenger
I really like it. I think the graphics have a little bit of a cartoony vibe which I found fun. It doesn't belong in the top tier of Neo shooters, but it's a fun game.

pmoniez

n00b
It's a fun enough yet simple game but for the same price point last resort is far superior.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Still better than Ghost Pilots and Last Hope

I just jumped out of my seat a little because I read that as "Last Resort" :D

Last Hope....well, the difficulty is pretty high but would you say it's a bad game? Music and atmosphere are pretty good, I would say.
And Ghost Pilots has very nice visuals, I think.....I like it also quite a bit.

Andeo Dunos does play more interestingly than those two....I give you that.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Whaaa?

Ghost Pilots is probably the most bland looking shmup on the system! Still a decent WWII-esque shooter...

I'd have to agree with Samuray here. I really like the old-skool look of Ghost Pilots. Backgrounds are not dynamic at all, I'll admit that though.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I personally like how the game is low budget and primitive. There is a bit of 8-bit charm hiding in there.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Andro Dunos is like a Genesis shump, you know what I mean. That color is out there vibe with switchable weapons and shit like that, almost like a Thunderforce weapon system with a chubby ship from a PCE shooter except it's going sideways...yeah...chew on that one.

Hey, andsuchisdeath 1CC'ed that shit, if he did it, then we all can do it and the more reason to do it over spending money on a bullet hell you'll never get to 1CC in 3 lifetimes.