Worst KoF?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
DEVIL_GUI-

I understand your point about '97 not being rare, and wouldn't argue that because it's not what I was saying. If I WERE to argue about that, though, I would say that just because something is popular or widespread doesn't make it good. One need only turn on a popular radio station of MTV these days for proof of that. Brittney Spears is not, at this time, any barometer of quality music:P!

I was simply saying that a high price tag on a game, for whatever reason, does not indicate its quality. DB: Final Bout was an example I chose because it is overpriced drek. That it is RARE overpriced drek is beside the point.

As for grading KOFs on overall quality, I guess we're at an impasse. While I see where you're coming from, the reason we are all involved with the Neo Geo is because we love classic gaming and we all agree that no system does it better. In lieu of that, I feel it is only fair to grade each game based on its own merits.

There are people that swear up and down, for example that SS2 is the best fighting game ever made, let alone the best of its series. It, just like KOF '94, was years ahead of its time. It endures for SS fans the same way '94 endures for me and, I'm sure, many others.

If someone were to ask me which KOF was the worst, I would say '97 because it was a big letdown to me. None of the other games disappointed me as much as that one did.

As I go back and play '94, I don't find the game to have bad control, graphics, backgrounds or music. I think it all holds up very well, and is still better than most fighting games currently available. And based on that, I guarantee you that '94 will find its way into my gold system before '97 does.

But it's all cool beans. I mean, we're both still big neo fans, right
smile.gif
?

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN, JUST TO ME, THE CONTROL WAY WAAAAYYYYYY REFINED BY '97 I LOVE ADVANCED MODE TOO, I HATE THE "HOP" AND LOVE THE DASH........
ITS ALL ABOUT THE WAY YOU PLAY I GUESS......

YEAH WERE ALL STILL SNK FANS (IM SNK, NOT SO MUCH NEO EXLUSIVE)
I WAS JUST SAYING, LIKE YOU PLAY '94 MORE THAN '97, I PLAY '97 MORE THAN ANY OF THE OTHERS, AND '94 OR '95 THE LEAST.......

THEYRE STILL COOL GAMES, BUT ITS LIKE PLAYING ATARI 2600 DOUBLE DRAGON OR THE ARCADE VERSION, ATARIS VERY COOL AND HAS THE BEST MUSIC, BUT IT DONT HOLD A CANDLE IN THE CONTROL OR GRAPHIC DEPT TO THE ARCADE VERSION....
DEVIL GUI

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
DEVIL_GUI writes:

>>THEYRE STILL COOL GAMES, BUT ITS LIKE PLAYING ATARI 2600 DOUBLE DRAGON OR THE ARCADE VERSION, ATARIS VERY COOL AND HAS THE BEST MUSIC, BUT IT DONT HOLD A CANDLE IN THE CONTROL OR GRAPHIC DEPT TO THE ARCADE VERSION....<<

Well, I think there's a much larger margin of difference between VCS DD and arcade DD than there is between KOF '94 and '97.

But still, even though our opinions differ on KOF, I still smell what you're cookin'
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

People! I read all these posts flaming KOF95 and I'm not gonna stand for it! It's got an uninterrupted fluency that has yet to be matched. I realise that the system introduced in KOF94 had limited development potential. So did SNK and that's why they changed it. '96 was beautiful, but a bit of an unpolished product. The worst game in the series is definitely '94. The fact that it's the first one doesn't redeem that.

Now, if they'd only left Ryo alone in '99. Grrrrr, his whole game was screwed, even though I love him like that in '95.

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
from worst to best.

94- It sucked for me, it actually kept me away from KOF.

2k- Changed striker system isn't balanced like the MVC2 assist system. Characters play better than 99.

95- This one brought me into KOF, but there's problems all over the place.

96- It had Geese, the quality is similar to 97. Changed what was bad about 95.

97- Refined from the previous, It brought back a tornament feel most fighters forget. Good story.

99- Brings in new ideas w/o completely failing. The strikers were abusable, but not at 2ks level.

98- Balance and cast, and fun factor. Could throw out rugal though.

I have played them all, except 2k, but I do read whats said about it from those that do.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I also must respectfully disagree, Taiso, on your extremely well written observations:

KoF '94 - If a modern-day KoF player like me tries to go back to '94 to take a shot at it, the gameplay simply feels, dated. You don't have the combos, speed, or freedom of mobility that the later KoFs give you.

KoF '96 - I believe one of the best soundtracks in the entire KoF series is in this year. I believe the music really gets you into the game. In fact, I own the '96 PSX version just for the short AST-style audio tracks that are playable in a CD player.
smile.gif
I also have to say that the '96 storyline was extremely intense. After wading through the SNKglish you could make out an epic waiting to happen.

KoF '99 - Well said, however I must disagree on your comment in regards to the excellent backgrounds. True, the backgrounds were well drawn and detailed, but KoF '99's color really detracted from the 'feeling' of the game. '98 had bright colors and made everyone really stand out. However '99 suffered from the "Quake" problem, namely everything was extremely brown or tanned, making the general atmosphere of the game somewhat dark and bland.

That's my 1 1/2 cents.
smile.gif

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

vulvair

n00b
I'd hqve to say 94, as I play it the least, 97 I love for its storyline and gameplay wise I'm now most used to 99 so its is currently my favourite, yet definetly the one which marked me the most of the entire series is 97.
I hate the two button and angled unnatural motions for the DMs in '94, so I never got too involved in getting anywhere near reasonably good with it :/

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I've been playing KOF94 quite a bit lately and realized how much I enjoyed the game and why I got into KOF in the first place; so KOF94 being the worst; "I DON'T THINK SO!"

My vote for worst KOF (In no order):

KOF95 - Damage
KOF96 - Control wise
KOF99-2K - Strikers (As I've stated before, I dislike strikers/assist attacks period!)

That's it, and only because of those features (I'll still play the hell out of them regardless though.
biggrin.gif
)

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YeldellGW:
I've been playing KOF94 quite a bit lately and realized how much I enjoyed the game and why I got into KOF in the first place; so KOF94 being the worst; "I DON'T THINK SO!"

What, in your opinion, makes KoF '94 decent? I'm guessing you don't think this is the best but what makes '94 something to look at when it comes to comparing the KoFs?

------------------
I eat King sized pancakes for breakfast, Terry-aki burgers for lunch, and meat Jhun with sloppy Joe and Kim chee for dinner. All I need is Kyo to BURN'em.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iie-Kyo:
What, in your opinion, makes KoF '94 decent? I'm guessing you don't think this is the best but what makes '94 something to look at when it comes to comparing the KoFs?

To be honest, no idea. I guess I'm just a sucker for a classic (Excluding SF.)

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
The WORST one?

It's not '94, but then again '94 isn't the best one either.

My personal favorite is KOF'98, so that one will be kicked aside as well. It's like '97 and '94 all rolled into one. My only cavil is that there are no team-specific endings.

While '99 is still very good, there are a couple issues about it that bug me. STRIKERS!
mad.gif
This just doesn't feel right in a KOF game. I'm hoping KOF 2001 does without them. Also, the 1P Battle is too short. In its defense, I do like the BA system for scoring. This would be the nadir of the KOF series, but still at a pretty high point.

------------------

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
The BA system is still a mystery to us all, however. VinylBoy has been trying to piece away at this puzzle for a long time and still hasn't totally figured it out.

Anyone know any guys who were at SNK who made this scoring system?

------------------