Wonder Boy 3: Dragon's Trap remake

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

This is a different project from the other Monster Boy project.

As a fan of the original Dragon's Trap, I'm excited about both and I hope they live up to it.

Edit: Let's not forget about Shantae Half Genie Hero too.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it won't be as good as the original and won't elicit the same feelings you had as a child when you played it.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Looks great so far. One of my favorites as a kid. I'll buy it for sure if/when it gets released. It's funny how this game seems to be bubbling back to the surface, first with the Flying Hamster team and now with this remake. There was definitely something special about Dragon's Trap that is still valid in today's world.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wow, I love the look of this game. Being a fan of the one on SMS and PCE, this will hit me in the feels for sure :D

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
DotEmu....

Shit French developer. Same ones that just pack in an emulator with their classic releases. They're responsible for those atrocious neo geo releases on Steam.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
DotEmu....

Shit French developer. Same ones that just pack in an emulator with their classic releases. They're responsible for those atrocious neo geo releases on Steam.
Don't get it twisted. DotEmu is the publisher, not the developer.

Lizardcube, also french, is the developer and it looks like they're a start-up by a couple industry veterans, a programmer and artist. The programmer worked on Pixel Junk Shooter 1 & 2 and Soul Bubbles, and the Artist has a background in comic books and concept art and looks to have been trained at Gobelins which is one of the highest regarded art and animation schools on the planet. You can tell by his art and animation style that he's classically trained.

This is looking good to me, and can't wait to see more!

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Dotemu is something to love and hate, it's a case by case thing with that publisher. They get some shady shit going on with some of their SNK stuff on the PC side of things, but then they do some marvelous work on other projects they publish that aren't garbage. One would have to look at the developer, and only if they're an unknown it would be something to maybe be concerned over. I love this game, I've got it on Game Gear I imported from Europe, had it on SMS before, and I've got the badass Windows remake that's free out there too. There's Dragon's Curse: Dragon's Trap -- http://www.smspower.org/forums/10266-DragonsCurseWBIIITheDragonsTrap Go nearly to the bottom, scroll up a few posts, there's a full final release there plus a 64bit executable for modern OS's as the old one will fail if you run 64bit. I'm blown away why this isn't hosted really elsewhere because if that link fails it's toast.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
it won't be as good as the original and won't elicit the same feelings you had as a child when you played it.

Pretty much. Remakes always sound like a good idea in theory, but the magic gets lost. If you want to play Wonder Boy 3, then just play Wonder Boy 3.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i personally think this looks good. i discovered the original when i was looking for metroidvania style games, and this looks like a decant update.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Pretty much. Remakes always sound like a good idea in theory, but the magic gets lost. If you want to play Wonder Boy 3, then just play Wonder Boy 3.

Just like movies, I'll take the original 9 times outta 10.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I would say that Yodd is my brother from another mother, but my mom got around so much that he might just be my brother from another father.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rumor has it that this is basically a complex graphic overlay running over an emulator, so it should play exactly like the original. I'm hyped.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
If that rumor is true and it runs smooth and properly then you're basically paying for a graphical face lift basically. In that case I don't think much of the magic would be lost, but usually in most cases Yodd there is on the nose. All these damned remakes, unless they're just touch ups adding a little extra functionality to an existing project (like the save game routine Mario Allstars or the GBA individuals added to the old games) it's usually a problem. It's like how that dick Lucas screwed up the original 3 Star Wars movies for decades worth of fans, or when in an equally shitty move Spielburg ruined ET editing out various things then burying the original to the pits of VHS or asian bootleg from laserdisc hell. In a way put it up to taking some crayola off the counter paints to a classical piece of artwork to make this or that look a little better. Don't do it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Rumor has it that this is basically a complex graphic overlay running over an emulator, so it should play exactly like the original. I'm hyped.

it's been a while since i played the original. but i don't remember the sprites moving that fast and fluid across the screen. but if this truly is a graphic over lay, then i'm disappointed. and will just stick to the original.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Kind of a back handed compliment there. I meant it though, remakes tend to tick me off as the diminish the quality of the original as few people bother to attempt to do it right as no one ever seems to learn that 'more is better' is usually very flawed logic.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Would you prefer them to completely mess up the controls like every other remake?

I'm thinking it's going to be something like the Sonic CD remake that hit a few years back. It was basically using the old engine so that it played correctly, while using art that was a bit better for HD sets, although it didn't get a massive overhaul like this game. It was probably the only instance where I preferred playing the new version over the original.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I was sold at 'french animation'. Animation is something the french are absolutely amazing at.

It takes a lot of skill, a lot of patience, and a lot of love to work an animation project/game of this magnitude. I'm confident that that will translate into all other aspects of the game, like controls and music.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If this is just an overlay on top of the old engine, even better in my book. At least the game will be intact, and we can look at the purdy new graphics and animations. Zero problem with remakes if I want to play the game. I mean, good to have that as an option. Sometimes they are shit, sure, but a new shit remake doesn't diminish a game's legacy. If anything, it lifts up the original as more people want to experience the best possible version of the game.

OR, I've just become way too casual of a gamer to care about those ethos or effects on the "industry" as a whole.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,

Personally I'm a big fan of Bionic Commando Rearmed (the first part, the 2nd is an abomination), so for me not all remakes are bad (I also liked DuckTales to an extent, though I prefer the original there)

I'm not sure if the style of this wonderboy Remake is something that I'd look for in a Remake, but it seems nicely drawn.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm tired of remakes of remakes and other remakes... but a good remake is always welcome. On top of that, this is my 2nd all time favorite game.

The music on this game is 11/10. Bring it on! :buttrock: