Will neo geo dev team games ever be on multi carts?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I know nothing about this stuff. Laws etc....Just wondered. :) idk maybe they are dumped somewhere. I'm not looking and don't want links if they are. Just asking the question for conversation. I'm sick, going on day4 in bed, and bored out of my mind, lol

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm sure they will some day. There's probably a little Chinaman somewhere out there working on it right now.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Is there something different about these games, than older games? Harder protection? Different laws for newly made games?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The problem with threads like this... is with the recent Neosd release...

and the fact that no encryption is safe in todays modern world... then it may become a free for all...

I am of the view i would like to protect our original homebrew developers... but I also live in the real world...

Threads like this... highlight certain aspects of the gaming scene I'd rather try and control if possible....

xROTx

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'd say for now all NGDev releases (and knight's chance) are safe. I bet in the future somebody will break their encryption (or maybe NGDev / JKurtz will publish them, who knows) but I do not see any of such releases coming out on multicarts or ROM format any time soon. Only exception could be the first NGDev release, which had no protection.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'd say for now all NGDev releases (and knight's chance) are safe. I bet in the future somebody will break their encryption (or maybe NGDev / JKurtz will publish them, who knows) but I do not see any of such releases coming out on multicarts or ROM format any time soon. Only exception could be the first NGDev release, which had no protection.

I know people who claim the encryption has already been broken on NG.dev games...

Who do i believe...?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
:)
The problem with threads like this... is with the recent Neosd release...

and the fact that no encryption is safe in todays modern world... then it may become a free for all...

I am of the view i would like to protect our original homebrew developers... but I also live in the real world...

Threads like this... highlight certain aspects of the gaming scene I'd rather try and control if possible....

xROTx

I'm just bored and the question popped into my head. If you don't want this conversation here, delete it. I will not feel bad. :) i was just wondering

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
:)

I'm just bored and the question popped into my head. If you don't want this conversation here, delete it. I will not feel bad. :) i was just wondering. :)

The forum is what it is... the scene is what it is...

Imagine it... as a massive ocean steam liner that has some drunk old guys at the rudder... occassionally turning it and hoping it doesn't crash into the sand bank...

xROTx

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member

Imagine it... as a massive ocean steam liner that has some drunk old guys at the rudder... occassionally turning it and hoping it doesn't crash into the sand bank...

xROTx

The lads and I think you are a poet.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Can you imagine if you put the time in to create these games and can re-release these games on the Neo-Geo or Dreamcast and make some money...would you give up the ROMS for free?

A multi-cart direct from NGDev with all of their games on would be a possible winner in the future

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

xROTx

Crazy how both of those have changed over the years.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Can you imagine if you put the time in to create these games and can re-release these games on the Neo-Geo or Dreamcast and make some money...would you give up the ROMS for free?

A multi-cart direct from NGDev with all of their games on would be a possible winner in the future

No. I highly doubt any company that has their games out there on multi carts where people are buying and playing them without them seeing a cent are very happy. I would imaging the neo dev team would be quite pissed.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I don't see the problem with it at all. ROMs and Multicarts will not effect the prices much if at all, just like they don't for every other system.

Also, when you make a game that costs $1000 do you really expect most people to actually pay to play it? No, the only people buying that stuff are collectors that just shove it on a shelf and forget about it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I don't see the problem with it at all. ROMs and Multicarts will not effect the prices much if at all, just like they don't for every other system.

Also, when you make a game that costs $1000 do you really expect most people to actually pay to play it? No, the only people buying that stuff are collectors that just shove it on a shelf and forget about it.

I'm just gonna sit here quietly... while the lads beat on you for a while...

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
That's a very cool idea. I'd love it if ngdevteam sold a multicart which included all of their games.
I've ordered Kraut Busters because it's looking like it could be great. Their other titles are harder to justify buying at their prices.

Maybe if at some point their cartridge sales slow down they'd consider this.

That might be a bit harsh for people who previously bought these games individually but not much different than the Dreamcast ports which they have done already.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'd like to see Gunlord in other formats over having access to the rom. Nintendo Eshop, PSN, XBL, Steam, the works. Won't happen but one can dream.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
pegboy, something tells me that was shortened from pegged boy.

Yes a lot of people won't blow $1000 on a game, but some will and they're not just collectards. People after that stuff are higher level spenders into arcade cabinet stuff and the AES which is just inherently more expensive and that group on this site isn't going to give a crap. They'll want to support their choice of hardware and those who wish to still make pretty things for it. I may have a cabinet and a nice small selection of games but my pockets are anything but deep and I still can't agree with that shit. Sure I'd love to see them perhaps do an Android release or whatever so the common low budget game player can have fun, but damn I can deal without. Will it get hacked? Yeah. Will it end up on a boot or multi-boot? Yup. Doesn't mean people have to like or respect it, but once the cat is out of the bag fuck it--it's open season as nothing is going to stop it. Hopefully they can get their good money from their efforts now before that happens.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I would hate it if they release a touch screen BS version of Gunlord instead of a true "console" relase. Fuck touchscreens, I need a decent gamepad at the very least.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I agree I would hate that too, but there are some games on the format that require a game pad or they won't even start up. DOOM 3 BFG comes to mind since I have it. You don't have to force touch controls into a game, or at least, you can tack them on but strongly suggest people get a life and don't bother.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'd like to see Gunlord in other formats over having access to the rom. Nintendo Eshop, PSN, XBL, Steam, the works.

Interesting to take a step back and look at the bigger picture... but then those games would face what they truly are and that would be the end of their borrowed SNK fame.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
IIRC the NeoSD has a build in feature to make distribution of homebrew possible - the rom would be playable only on a specific NeoSD cart (and encrypted perhaps?). I'd love to see NGDEV go for that, maybe after they sold the reprints and switched to new hardware like they announced.

Can't fucking believe the silly price discussion is still going. Yo, pegpoop: factor in development, hardware, small team etc. and you'll see the price isn't as outrageous as you think. I'd rather see them get payed and continue to develop than play the games and have them quit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Interesting to take a step back and look at the bigger picture... but then those games would face what they truly are and that would be the end of their borrowed SNK fame.

Gunlord would hold up well. The games is truly good, but I can't expect everyone to know that, specially the speculators and their baseless opinions about games they don't even play.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I know people who claim the encryption has already been broken on NG.dev games...

Who do i believe...?

Then I guess the future I talked about may be closer than what I thought.