Why so little Aes for sales lately?

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Probably my homecarts will survive me: at least I hope to last more than my floppies :P

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I dunno if there is a reason but I notice that there has been very little AES games for sales lately. Is there any reason or?

Because 8man bought them all

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
Every once in awhile I think about Cashing in when the bills get steep, but then I remember that I will probably never be able to get at least half of my collection back and the other half I would have to pay three times as much. I love the games I own so I always get cold feet and never sell. Plus its a unique experience when you get to tell/show people AES and they look at you like you have 4 heads and look at you like a psycho when you tell them the value of them haha.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
Don't fucking listen to them people, they're just winding you up. Think about it, Nam '75 is 39 years old now and still works perfectly.

P.s. 75 > 76

SEGA MEGA DRIVE HERZOG ZWEI is like 24 years old now. i play it damn near daily,
and both the cart and it's host console function flawlessly to this moment, all original caps still in place, console only modded for L/R RCA AUDIO output...

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Haha, I'll flip this around completely non-sarcastic this time: For everyone worrying about these games dying, yeah... They will, but who knows when it will be. Could be tomorrow, could be in forty years. Play the fucking things and don't worry about it so much. Yes, there is a chip in Metal Slug X that honest to goodness dies a little every time you play it. There's also a fix you can do on dead Metal Slug X carts to completely remove the stupid chip, burn one EEPROM and basically fix the things good as new. So... Who cares.

I think over time the carts are going to be a bit more spaghetti or EPROM laden, but that's the same thing that's happened to many of our older games, or Phoenixed CPS2 carts, or whatever. Who cares? It's the game that's important and those, thanks to MAME and the other ROM dumps, will be around forever and ready to put on whatever ROM chip, flash cart, or splurg-cube of the future.

So don't worry about it so much. These things were meant to be played and enjoyed. Play 'em, kill 'em, revive 'em, whatever. I really hope people aren't just building vaults to store these games in, hoping they'll live forever... Because the sad irony is... They are just as likely to die on the shelf as components dry out and rot. At least play the fucking things :D

Can you tell me more about Metal slug X chip? It's my first time to hear something like this..................
MVS or AES cart?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't blame people for holding onto them. I won't sell mine.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Can you tell me more about Metal slug X chip? It's my first time to hear something like this..................
MVS or AES cart?

Metal Slug X has an altera protection chip in it that is prone to failure. It exists in both the AES and MVS versions. Once it fails, the game stops working. It's because of this chip that the mvs->aes converters have a special note about Metal Slug X compatibility. You can revive the game by transplanting the chips from the PROG board to a suitable donor and replace P1 with an eprom that contains code that doesn't need the protection chip to run.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Thanks, Shadowkn55!!!
Guess I'll not buy Metal Slug X cart (either AES or MVS) at all.....................

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Thanks, Shadowkn55!!!
Guess I'll not buy Metal Slug X cart (either AES or MVS) at all.....................

I wouldn't worry about it too much especially for the MVS version. I've had many copies of slug x go through my hands and only one needed a transplant. Luckily because of plentiful amount of puzzle bobble boots, a donor prog board is not hard to come by nor do you have to feel guilty about sacking another game to repair it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If you have a Slug X for AES, chances are blowing $30 on a loose KOF 95 for its PROGBK1 board isn't going to break the bank.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If you have a Slug X for AES, chances are blowing $30 on a loose KOF 95 for its PROGBK1 board isn't going to break the bank.

Why is the Altera chip in Metal Slug X so prone to dying? is this brand of chips bad quality or the chip is badly designed?

Thanks!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The chip is badly designed, could also be from low quality power or weakening DC filtering on MVS boards where most Metal Slug X failures are reported too. All Metal Slug X carts will eventually suffer Altera chip failure at some point or another. All it takes to save Slug X is an EPROM and a PROGBK1.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
The chip is badly designed, could also be from low quality power or weakening DC filtering on MVS boards where most Metal Slug X failures are reported too. All Metal Slug X carts will eventually suffer Altera chip failure at some point or another. All it takes to save Slug X is an EPROM and a PROGBK1.

Is it also possible to just swap in a new Altera chip from a working MVS cart? (And save the MVS cart with a PROGBK1 and EPROM of course).

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Is it also possible to just swap in a new Altera chip from a working MVS cart? (And save the MVS cart with a PROGBK1 and EPROM of course).

It should be possible, because the contents of the chips are exactly the same in MVS and homecarts, only difference is boards layout, however I have not tested this.

Regards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
MSX on a multicart doesn't need an Altera chip.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
MSX on a multicart doesn't need an Altera chip.

This should be because they use a hacked rom, or maybe they put the MSX Altera logic inside the big Altera chips that these multicarts usually have? I don't know.

Regards.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
like other people said collect for the MVS or buy the Neo Geo X dont even start into this madness

Pblue4444

n00b
I have a couple of AES but I don't think I would actually start collecting.
I think as prices are going up and time is moving on the people that do have the carts just don't want to sell them.