Why is the PS4 UI / OS / Whatever so god damned terrible?

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I haven't logged into my PS4 in a while, but I knew there was an update to the OS and figured that they'd do something to add a little bit of usability.

It's exactly the same. I still can't pin stuff. It's still a long list of recently used things. I still have to scroll to the far right to see all my shit.

What the hell is this? The PS3 was absolutely amazing when it came to customization. Setting custom folders for things actually MADE ME BUY MORE THINGS because I knew I could sort them properly. The PS4 is such a weird step back.

Nobody I talk to seems to care though. Am I just crazy?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I love the PS4 UI. No complaints here.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I love the PS4 UI. No complaints here.

Huh! Wouldn't you want to be able to organize stuff manually though? Like, just have an area where you can put commonly used items? Or have folders?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's not enough of an obstacle for me to really care about that degree of functionality.

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You could sell it and get an iPad.

You can put the icons wherever you want and I'm sure there's at least one game worth owning on it.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
If you want to try a truly terrible UI, get an Xbox One.
I've got one, and it's actually quite functional. Pin whatever you want to the left of the main area, easy to get to anything. I mean I heard it was lousy at launch, but it's totally fine now.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
It's confusing and illogical as hell. Luckily, shouting at the console actually works :p

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't tell you when people get online...

Just lots and lots of party notifications.

But apart from that, I love it...

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I'm okay with the PS4 UI. I like that it's actually organized to show you, first and foremost, the games on your machine. Microsoft's UI design, ever since the first NXE update, seems aimed exclusively at filling your TV with ads. PS4 only shows you advertisements if you actually click on the store (or look at the "news feed" - what kind of "news" do I want from PlayStation besides things I can buy?).

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
The PS4 UI just works. Your shit is right there to browse through.

Didn't they allot a huge chunk of memory for the UI on the boner? It didn't help, because it's slow and clunky as shit anyway.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The only thing X1 has going for it is pins. Everything else requires navigating a labyrinth of menus or using the hunk of shit Kinect. The PS4 isn't great but it's a joy by comparison.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
PS4 UI seems clean at first when there are not many things on it, but when more things gets piled up on it, it is a shitstorm of mess. Sony's UI has never been good. People don't like XO's UI because it reminds them of windows 8, but it is far more well done and switching apps on it is better and smoother.