Why is Neo Geo popular in third world countries?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm what way is Australia a third world country?

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Or tiny European countries where people live in mud huts like Luxembourg or Switzerland?

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Don't forget the Congo, they get most of the carts that are normally shipped for Belgium...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Vertically integrated piracy with a fully developed boot & multicart support. Neo Geo is the third world's cheapest way to satisfy arcade needs.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have yet to know all those AES collectors OP talks about here in South America. Here where I live, I seem to be the only guy to know the AES even exists. I talk to my co-workers and such about the neo-geo, they are all like "huh? wtf is that?" then I tell them "that's the console that played metal slug, the king of fighters, samurai shodown, etc." and they all remind how great the games were. But nobody even knows those games were available in a home console.

lol, in Cali SNK was everywhere just as much as Capcom was, my first experience playing the console was with my cousin at a friends, we played Samsho and then years later we got outelselves a Gold setup. I dunno where you're from or how old you are but 1992-1194 SNK was fierce in Cali, Armenia, Manizales, Pereira, toda la zona occidental, also when I lived in Leticia there was an SNK cab, no Capcom...Leticia, let me say that again, Leticia...yes in the AMAZONES...

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I have yet to know all those AES collectors OP talks about here in South America. Here where I live, I seem to be the only guy to know the AES even exists. I talk to my co-workers and such about the neo-geo, they are all like "huh? wtf is that?" then I tell them "that's the console that played metal slug, the king of fighters, samurai shodown, etc." and they all remind how great the games were. But nobody even knows those games were available in a home console.

This is the same situation I remember in the Philippines during the 1990s. I saw tons of MVS games in Astro Cities, but the AES was completely unknown.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Yeah I would say Australia is 3rd world too, based on our internet speed...

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
man, what are the requirements to vote in a poll? Im missing out on all these

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Italy's postal service tends to collect carts too apparently, anything that gets sent there tends to fall into a fucking blackhole of nothingness. There must be a black market there some where like there is in Dubai or Bahrain.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
ignore my last post, but alot of third world countries play mvs alot, but alot of the carts are boots

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Because KOFs and futbol.

Yes fucking awesome, that's the life! I used to play at the sub17 America de Cali football team, you know one of the greatest clubs ever, the funny thing is there was 2 cabs at the club, a Rainbow SFII and a bootleg Fatal Fury 2...it was crazy, never seen anything like it again 'cause the game had this weird edits, very cool but the original of each are still better...lol.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'll reiterate others words from my experiences near the Mexico border:

Arcades with easy to swap carts (some of which were probably bootlegs) for little kids without consoles to play games on. A lot of people can't do arcades for whatever reason, so the AES is the more practical choice, especially for early gen games.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Well, I meant if you're only looking to play the first part of most series that started before '95 on the AES, it's not that bad to get started, financially. That, and an MVS arcade takes up a lot of real estate compared to the AES.

But yeah, "practical" is a very loose term for what I mean. ;)

Last edited:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Italy's postal service tends to collect carts too apparently, anything that gets sent there tends to fall into a fucking blackhole of nothingness. There must be a black market there some where like there is in Dubai or Bahrain.

I often heard of it.
Think it's most a local issue of the southern regions... in places like Naples or Calabria, lost parcels are probably the last of the problems.

In 10+ yrs of ebay/amazon/internet purchases and with a japanese wife who receives monthly parcels from her country, I've lost just one game (Super Mario RPG, still remember).

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I still don't really get this. Why does the Neo Geo (AES in particular) attract such desire from such miscellaneous places across the world? On top of the tiny European countries, there's the middle east, Asia, Australia, South America and everything in between. I don't understand why Arabian oil barons want to collect for an old obsolete game console. AES games get sold and traded almost like priceless jewels.
What, are you calling Australia third-world? The middle east is second-world, not third-world. (I suppose some parts of it are first-world standard).
I suppose with just about anything that's rare and valuable, people want it for the prestige of owning it (even rare old video games).

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
lol, in Cali SNK was everywhere just as much as Capcom was, my first experience playing the console was with my cousin at a friends, we played Samsho and then years later we got outelselves a Gold setup. I dunno where you're from or how old you are but 1992-1194 SNK was fierce in Cali, Armenia, Manizales, Pereira, toda la zona occidental, also when I lived in Leticia there was an SNK cab, no Capcom...Leticia, let me say that again, Leticia...yes in the AMAZONES...

Man, I envy you. I have lived all my life in Bogota, and never saw personally an AES until recently, I had to play all my SNK on the arcade. Maybe I was just hanging with the uncool guys then...lol. Anyway, even now, nobody seems to know what an AES/neo-geo is. Strange.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Pero es que esos rolos son un martirio parce! Baje para la zona mas chevere de Colombia pa' que vea!

Es como la palabra "Parce" cuando yo vivi alla eso era palabra para los verdaderos parceros, como los mas pillos o mas cagadas, pero ahora hasta la abulea dice parce y es gracias al juanes ese. Te acordas de Ekhymosis antes de la vendida que se pegaron? Cuando eran super metaleros? Esa fue la Buena temporada. Ahora hasta el mas requite plastico se las pica de parcero...que visaje tan chimbo.

In all seriousness it could be due to me being nearer the water ports than you, Buenaventura has a big port and I wasn't too far, maybe that has something to do with it, most of my life in Colombia was spent in the occident side of things although that doesn't explain Leticia in the Amazones and Sabatinga in the frontier with Brazil...but yeah I know I'm the super cool...sorry dude.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Pero es que esos rolos son un martirio parce! Baje para la zona mas chevere de Colombia pa' que vea!

Es como la palabra "Parce" cuando yo vivi alla eso era palabra para los verdaderos parceros, como los mas pillos o mas cagadas, pero ahora hasta la abulea dice parce y es gracias al juanes ese. Te acordas de Ekhymosis antes de la vendida que se pegaron? Cuando eran super metaleros? Esa fue la Buena temporada. Ahora hasta el mas requite plastico se las pica de parcero...que visaje tan chimbo.

In all seriousness it could be due to me being nearer the water ports than you, Buenaventura has a big port and I wasn't too far, maybe that has something to do with it, most of my life in Colombia was spent in the occident side of things although that doesn't explain Leticia in the Amazones and Sabatinga in the frontier with Brazil...but yeah I know I'm the super cool...sorry dude.

It's strange seeing you writing in Spanish, but yeah, I know what you mean perfectly about parceros. Also yeah, Ekhymosis was good back in the day, before they started showing up on the radio and doing the soft stuff. Maybe you being near to the ports helped like you say, guess we'll never know. Also, I had no clue "occident" was a word in English, I thought it was West?