Why is Neo Geo popular in third world countries?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I still don't really get this. Why does the Neo Geo (AES in particular) attract such desire from such miscellaneous places across the world? On top of the tiny European countries, there's the middle east, Asia, Australia, South America and everything in between. I don't understand why Arabian oil barons want to collect for an old obsolete game console. AES games get sold and traded almost like priceless jewels.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol, same reasons people are collecturds here in the US, I mean luxurious stupidity is not exclusive to the list of 1st world problems...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
The common crown jewel to all their posts and pictures is garou as well. These dudes have a boner for bogard.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
because one day aes carts will be worth more than oil.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
My guess is.

Due to the relative affordability of MVS and its games for arcade owners, SNK games was very prominent in those countries back then during the 90s.

Since a lot of people in those countries were heavily exposed to SNK games back then, now that they've grown up and are working with a disposable income, they want to relive their childhood by buying AES.

I'd imagine the US fanbase of SNK games is relatively small comparatively due to the prominence of Capcom arcade games during the 90s. It's certainly the case in Australia where Capcom overshadowed SNK on all fronts.

That's just my $0.02.

Last edited:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
i too have noticed this a group i recently joined on facebook is mostly made up of members from south america it seems and a few very wealthy american business types

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SNK did have a presence here in Australia. After all there were cabinets from the single to the 6 slotters made. They're unique to oceania as far as I know. Though try asking anyone if they know what a Neo Geo is and they'll look at you strange.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I still don't really get this. Why does the Neo Geo (AES in particular) attract such desire from such miscellaneous places across the world? On top of the tiny European countries, there's the middle east, Asia, Australia, South America and everything in between. I don't understand why Arabian oil barons want to collect for an old obsolete game console. AES games get sold and traded almost like priceless jewels.

This is a bizarre question from someone from canada, if that is where you are actually from.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
This is a bizarre question from someone from canada, if that is where you are actually from.

I wouldn't expect an Englishman to understand what a third world country is, besides conquering them.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have yet to know all those AES collectors OP talks about here in South America. Here where I live, I seem to be the only guy to know the AES even exists. I talk to my co-workers and such about the neo-geo, they are all like "huh? wtf is that?" then I tell them "that's the console that played metal slug, the king of fighters, samurai shodown, etc." and they all remind how great the games were. But nobody even knows those games were available in a home console.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm not from a third world country so I can only speculate but perhaps some of these people had less access to the home systems I had growing up for example. I had a friend I worked with from Trinidad and he said PS1 games at the time there were like $100-$150 for a single game for people with probably not that much disposable income in all honesty. Because of the high barrier to entry, I would imagine a person such as this would associate gaming more with what had been in their local arcade at the time he could put a few dollars or whatever in (he was a big SNK fan btw), which again because an operator could have 1-6 games on one system and it was relatively cheap for the op to change games from there, which would in turn influence the tastes of the consumer because that is what was available.

I could just be reading too much into it, it could also just be a matter of taste as well.

Let's not forget too even though it was late in the Neo's life Evoga was a Mexican company, according to Wikipedia them working with Noise Factory and Playmore https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoga "This was also the first Japanese-Mexican collaboration of its kind." Which again would point that there was still a demand in Latin American countries for new Neo games like Rage of the Dragons.

On a side note in the new Retro Gamer mag with Street Fighter II on the cover it mentions that there were 200,000 SFII cabs in Mexico with 0 sold direct to Mexican OPs by Capcom.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

Do you even know what a third world country is?