Why does Metal Slug 4 get so much hate?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
OK everyone has their different taste. I happen to like all of them, it's like KOF, every KOF has its charm, maybe I'm an easy customer and you're not?

I don't think I'm stretching it though, elitism is a big part of this community and of course this thread.

What makes you not really like 3? Is it too long? Too hard to 1cc? I dunno, I think it's superb, long yes, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the game. It is a quarter muncher sometimes though.

The overwhelming majority of statements in this thread are vague and very subjective. I'm not saying that those qualities are incompatible with elitist statements in general though. But the "cuz it ain't 3" statements in here aren't what I'd call the comments of an elitist.

Am I an easy customer? Definitely not. However, my threshold and open attitude toward mechanically flawed/aesthetically inferior/universally paned games is incredibly high. I don't dislike 3. Obviously, the Nazca team(whatever they called themselves in 2000) couldn't have made a more appropriate swan song.

I just have the most fun with 1 and 2. Yes, I also find 3 too difficult.

Last edited:

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
I think a lot is also based on the nostalgia factor. MS3 was the last of the series to be a significant arcade hit in the states, and a ton of people remember it being virtually everywhere as one of the last MVS games in the wild.

People simply don't have that kind of attachment to 4. Hell, most people don't even know the series has games past 3. I've had 4 and 5 in rotation on my cabinets at times, and more than a few are surprised that the series didn't end at 3.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
At the start of the final stage in MS3 where the helicopters are, that's usually the cue to go to the bathroom. XD

Because that's pretty much the halfway point of the game, and the second half doesn't have a pause.

SUPREME

Do not reply to my posts and call me Scott Evil. ,
For me, mainly because it just wasn't SNK anymore, it was SNKPlaymore. I felt Alien when I was playing it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think a lot is also based on the nostalgia factor. MS3 was the last of the series to be a significant arcade hit in the states, and a ton of people remember it being virtually everywhere as one of the last MVS games in the wild.

People simply don't have that kind of attachment to 4. Hell, most people don't even know the series has games past 3. I've had 4 and 5 in rotation on my cabinets at times, and more than a few are surprised that the series didn't end at 3.
That's because 3 was the last actual SNK (Namca) Metal Slug. 4 probably didn't get the same promotion. So it's arguable 3 was the last real Metal Slug game in the series.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Wasn't 4 created by a Korean team and the two other chars were the result of that and that's why they were never used again?