Why does Metal Slug 4 get so much hate?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Seriously, it's not a bad game by any means. I know the original developers for 1-3 weren't around for the later games, but 4 is still an awesome game, well deserving of the Metal Slug name. I guess it doesn't have some of the original characters (Tarma?) as playable, maybe that is why people piss on it?

I'd even say it has some of the best music in the entire series, and some pretty cool new weapons like the double uzis. Why the bitter hatred towards this awesome game?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Most people hate it because it feels recycled. It borrows a lot of stuff from Metal Slug 1. Considering 4 came right off the heels of 3, it's rather underwhelming. The final boss kinda sucks too.

I like Slug 4 as well, it's a decent game. It's cool that a bunch of auxiliary vehicles are made usable, makes it feel a bit more like a desperate war struggle. The entirely snow-y level is nice too.

marcio1986

Cheng's Errand Boy
The game as no soul put into it, its a complete rehash from past games. Its not a terrible game on its own, its just not as good as the previous ones.

I liked it despite the feeling of doing most of the stuff in the previous games. And the last level felt weak to me, it needed something more.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Most peoples arguments as to why it sucks are about as strong as your argument as to why it's good.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Out of all the Slug games, MS4 is the vanilla child (ya'know, nothing special). It's OK but the other games feel better more well rounded. That's what it really comes down to.

If you have a 4 slot MVS board and you are filling it with just Metal Slug games, would MS4 have a spot in there or not? Personally, I would go with 1, X, 3, 5

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
As everyone else said in comparison to what came before it it's a bit underwhelming, personally it holds a special place in my heart as it's the first one I played, once I actually got an MVS cabinet though and got my hands on X and 1 the difference in quality was like night and day, I still feel it's a solid entry in the series and it's one of the easier to find Slug games, but 1,X and 3 have it beat

dondi

Crazed MVS Addict
I like the game but its on the last place of the MS-Universe. Even a MS-XX is much better than that! The problem of Metal Slug 4 is that it has such a short play time.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I think 5 sucks more than 4. Both pale in comparison to X & 3 which I find to be the best in the series.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
At least 4 looks the part, I played through some of 6 on the Metal Slug Anthology Wii disc and it looked horrible. Worse yet is 7 on the DS - the animations and art went down the toilet as technology has advanced.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Most people hate it because it feels recycled.

Exactly it. That's right on what I felt the first time I played it. I've learned to appreciate more over the years, but this remains one of my least favorite slug. What's nice though is that full MVS kit can be had super cheap for this one.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I actually enjoy 5 more than 4. And that's not saying much :(
Plus the original cart mold is just so horrible, part of why sometimes you see a corner of the cart where the edge is knocked off.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
MS4 lacks all the creativity from the previous games.

Akimbo uzis are lame as fuck and the only new weapon, same as the heavy machine gun and only in like 2 spots in the whole game. The sound effect when you pick it up is even an edit of "Mission 2" and "heavy machine gun" spliced together.

The level design is crap, the pacing is horrible, the power up placement is ridiculously bad. Why give me a drop shot on the repelling stage when there is no floor to bounce off of????!! You spend 3/4 of the game using the pistol. No new slugs.

Trevor and Nadia are lame mugenesque sprite edits, Tarma and Eri please! The combo medal system is useless in a metal slug game. The bosses are boring and uninspired.

The Final mission is the biggest let down ever. If you manage to stay awake through the battle with the lost in space robot you get to run from explosions down a corridor and meet eri at the end. I was expecting an epic final boss to take out the chopper, but no, just mission complete.

If 4 is the first slug you've played where the fuck have you been for the last 20 years?

The game is trash and I feel sorry for anyone who bout the game on release.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Most peoples arguments as to why it sucks are about as strong as your argument as to why it's good.

Thank you for that. Most people don't even know why the game is bad or good, they just hate out of pure negligence to learn anything about the game. I am also to blame for this syndrome, I hate shit RPG games, I mean, I hate RPG games as a whole and don't give them a chance 'cause I think they suck, my argument isn't valid this I know and yet I don't care, RPG games are for weak players that can't take on a real challenge.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Plus the original cart mold is just so horrible, part of why sometimes you see a corner of the cart where the edge is knocked off.

This really took me by surprise when I got the cart. It just feels so cheap and different.

The game itself isn't too bad, just the worst of the 6 Neo Geo titles.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I actually enjoy 5 more than 4.

i'm in the same boat. 5 had the slide mechanic which i thought was kind of fun and added a little depth (like mega man 3's slide), but was insanely linear and short.

4 to me is a fun play, it's just not not as good as its contemporaries. i wouldn't call it a bad game. i'd call it 'less good'.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
RPG games are for weak players that can't take on a real challenge.
I won't disagree that alot are, but saying the Ultima series is crap is uncalled for brotha! Also, some rpgs have you juggling some pretty intense juggling of spells vs attacks. Chrono Cross is one that comes to mind. Nothing wrong with flexing the brain muscle. ;)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol, what do you think the brain does with other games? Shut down? If I want to play slow shit like that I'd stick to Magic or chess, that's all you're gonna get me to play that involves turns and waiting.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
lol, what do you think the brain does with other games? Shut down? If I want to play slow shit like that I'd stick to Magic or chess, that's all you're gonna get me to play that involves turns and waiting.
When I play most other games it's all muscle memory.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Muscle memory ain't gonna save your ass on a vs game or a brawler or a number of other genres.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
the Akimbo UZI's would be cool if they didn't work exactly like the Heavy Machine Gun.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You know, I've always thought a turn based boxing match would be cool.

You flip a coin, whoever gets the call gets to throw the first punch.

EDIT: I guess this is the closet thing we'll ever get to that, and I'm NOT complaining.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Which are two genres I don't play often. But I don't say they suck.

I don't give a shit panda. I say RPGs suck so fucken what? I'm not saying you shouldn't say what sucks or not, I'm simply just being plain honest. RPGs suck, deep down everyone that plays these pieces of shit knows they'd prefer to have that ability to play something better. OMG what about the deep story...what?! What fucken story, just a bunch of precious moments dolls being all insecure and shit, lame!

Every fucken game now days is some shit RPG or some FPS, god damn, lame ass, and top that with some lackluster wannabe retro crapstatic shenanigans. Just make good games god damn it! Take NG3:TASOD and level it up, go higher each time, make me sweat bullets!

The only genres that seem to have evolved fruitfully after all the years are fighting games, shumps and of course racing games. Not necessarily for the better in some cases but there has been evolution, making gameplay more fluid or more hectic, take your pick. I want hard as balls drop my nuts on a grinder hard. Ninja Gaiden Black should have been the template for games to come but instead they went backwards. If only NGB didn't have so much silly backtracking and stupid unnecessary shenanigans it would have been perfect, alas the 3D environment wasn't up to par yet, too erratic. They still haven't fixed that shit, hopefully some day.

Last edited: