Why do you like NEO GEO so much?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fighting games are my favorite genre.

I grew up on Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken on my Genesis, Saturn, PS1, and Super Nintendo. I always wanted a Neo Geo but couldn't afford one until I was roughly 20.

My favorite Neo fighters are Mark of the Wolves, KoF 97-99, Waku Waku 7, World Heroes 2 Perfect, Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2, Art of Fighting 2, and Last Blade 2.

Well firstly, I was an arcade kid so I have a lot of nostalgia for the system but also I love pixel art and when it comes to that - Neo Geo games are just quite simply the best. I dabble in pixel art myself so when I play my AES, I really enjoy taking notice of all the little visual details in the backgrounds and sprite work, how they convey imagery with a relative minimum of colours or resolution. Even in this day and age it's very very impressive stuff they did and I try to learn whatever I can from it.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I loved Neo Geo since the early 90s because it offered fighters on Capcom's caliber, but also unique enough to differentiate itself from the competition.

That said, I wasn't too impressed with the Fatal Fury series until around Real bout.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
I loved Neo Geo since the early 90s because it offered fighters on Capcom's caliber, but also unique enough to differentiate itself from the competition.

That said, I wasn't too impressed with the Fatal Fury series until around Real bout.

Yeah man.
The original Fatal Fury was my first game for my AES, back in the day.
Loved it, but it hasn't held up too well. RB2 is where it's at (though, technically, Garou is a FF game too..)

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
In answer to the original question:

When I was at school I had a Megadrive.
Some of my friends had the MD, some had the SNES, some had the Amiga.
Everyone knew about the Neo, but not a hope in hell of getting one. This gave it a legendary status :-)

In all the time I was at school I only saw an AES once, in a local video game shop.
I got the play World Heroes and SamSho on it and was blown away. Just the size of the characters and the way they moved compared to MD/SNES games.

So it kinda became a long running fantasy that I would get one, but it was a loooong time before I actually did.

Got my first AES in about '99 from Telegames UK for £350 - with Fatal Fury for another £150 :-)
Those suckers were brand new... kinda wish I still had my AES, but game prices are no longer funny for that shit.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
And just happens to be in the best fighter on the neo, as well.
The actual best!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You may think it's the best but it really isn't for me, it still is a great game though but there are a bunch of fighters I prefer.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
lol, the best fighter on the Neo is Fatal Fury Special seconded by MOTW and RBS, hell even WA is good.

Unless you're a hardcore SF2 player, you really can't appreciate FFS. Sadly it seems most of the FGC came out when the Alpha Series was already introduced. Usually by then anything resembling SF2 is shunned. SF2 probably would as well if those gamers didn't want to look foolish. Kinda like how white rappers were ridiculed in the 90's... except for the Beastie Boys.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
FFS and SSFIIT are probably the best fighting games ever.

I dunno what these 2 games and white rappers have in common...

Last edited:

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
For me, it has always been the graphical/art style. It's unique to the system for the most part...that and obviously the great games.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Besides the very first fatal fury, I didn't bother touching the early FF games so I'm not too well versed with the intricacies with the battle systems lol.

I was more into Samurai Shodown and Art of Fighting at the time.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Besides the very first fatal fury, I didn't bother touching the early FF games so I'm not too well versed with the intricacies with the battle systems lol.

I was more into Samurai Shodown and Art of Fighting at the time.

You're not alone. Back in the old days hardly anybody played FF1. My best friend at the time and I played it because it was easy to get on compared to SFII. In all honesty though more played AOF anyways and SNK wasn't really played until Samurai Shodown came out. That took a good chunk of the business away from Street Fighter II 'HF.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Your words mean nothing, you don't like fighters from that era 'cause of whatever shenanigans you posted before.

We need to get some HDR going so I can punish you proper.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Lately I have been craving classic 2D Beat Em ups, puzzle games, and Fighters. Yet, none of the current generation of gaming can deliver anything close to the fun that I get when I boot up a Neo Geo game. I could play Metal Slug X or Robo Army several times in one week and never get bored with either of these games.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Only a few reasons are needed to show how Neo Geo is easily one of THE best arcade systems of all time. I'm gonna talk about MVS arcades here, not the AES

#1 - Games made for it were just done RIGHT - puzzle bobble, metal slugs, KOF, Sam Show's, Super sidekicks, etc etc. Even some of the games that weren't so great, are still pretty awesome and have high re-playability

#2 - How hard is it to restore and maintain an MVS board? And we're talking 1-slot here... EXTREMELY EASY, except for those pesky 2-,4-,6-slot boards which are obviously much harder

#3 - CARTRIDGES - best idea I think! It's much harder to swap JAMMA boards to play different games compared to a simple cart swap!