Why do we call it the "AES"

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Brings a smile to my face to see Tak and Charlie posting in this thread because I swear it feels like every time one of these threads pops up they say the same thing I do: always called it a home cart, and as such it will always remain.

You can complain about slowdown issues in MS2 and take us all the back to 2000.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Mikhail, we're on a mission from God. Or Neo Dio, to be precise. :D

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Dion didn't coin shit, AES was always there on the system, people always called it that.

Maybe in your local area, but not on the internet. On the DHP mailing list it was never called AES until Dion started calling it that . Yes, Dion did in fact coin the term "AES", I was there when he did it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
What's more, I've never seen or heard a Japanese person use "AES" when not talking to Westerners.

Wasn't there also an interview with an SNK official (of the real pre-Playmoa SNK) who didn't know what the interviewer was talking about when he called the homecart system AES?

Yeah, kinda silly and redundant discussion but well... you know... heh... :D

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
And why do you call it the AES (hint: I´m not referring to any home system)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The question has been answered well enough... But, despite everyone saying AES is wrong, there are bits of evidence that AES can be used as a subtitle to set it apart from the MVS. Home system main boards and parts often have AES, AEP or AEC written on them. Various booklets have AES in them as well. The logo has "Advanced Entertainment System" stuck inbetween Neo and Geo. It's possible that AES was only used on English home system packaging.

Going by other SNK documentation (like the programming guide), I think they internally called the two platforms MVS and Neo Geo. That doesn't help much since MVS is still a Neo Geo and the home system needs a subtitle too... Otherwise they're both Neo Geos.

So, for better or worse, AES and MVS are here to stay. I don't mind using AES by itself, but seeing "Neo Geo AES" makes me cringe. It looks horribly tacky. The home system in a perfect world should JUST be Neo Geo, nothing more. Neo Geo MVS isn't as bad, but MVS works fine too.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
It's possible that AES was only used on English home system packaging.

That would make sense since AES, I think, is supposed to be competitive, superior brand to the NES.
There was no NES in Japan, hence no AES in Japan either.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
filmmanual1.jpg

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Whether "AES", "NGH", "Home Cart", "Home System", or "MVS's Expensive Evil Twin" there's not one person here who doesn't get the reference. Mix, match, pick your favorite or collect 'em all. It's really not worth arguing about.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There's no doubt the Advanced Entertainment System subtitle is present on all versions, no need to proof it.

"We" say AES because, well, everyone knows what it means, that's all. It's still a non-official, botched acronym, another fact that also does not need to be proven.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
As far as I'm concerned, the Neo Geo is pretty poorly named if people constantly have problems telling one apart from another. There's MVS, but the home system has no official acronym... Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Well it was always clear to me the home version is AES and arcade was MVS because its SNK's products and thats what they called it

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
AES is well just that, an acronym. You could make all sorts of acronyms based on official documents. It really doesn't matter what the fuck you call it. Mine has a name, he's called Tom.

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Whether "AES", "NGH", "Home Cart", "Home System", or "MVS's Expensive Evil Twin" there's not one person here who doesn't get the reference. Mix, match, pick your favorite or collect 'em all. It's really not worth arguing about.

I quite like "MVS's Expensive Evil Twin" I should start calling it that...

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I always called my Neo Geo a Neo Geo...

There was no MVS carts available to regular customers at the time and nobody had a cab at home so there was no confusion possible whatsoever.

When the Neo CD came out, I still called my Neo Geo a Neo Geo.

Then the internet fucked up everything :tickled:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah, there was Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD. Simple. Then people started overpaying for Neo Geo carts... Those assholes! Because of them we had to buy the MVS arcade carts! Then we needed a new acronym to separate the two cart formats, thus AES.

If it wasn't for all those people driving the prices up on Neo Geo cartridges, the world would have stayed a happy place. Let's blame the collectors!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have both the console and the cab, so some form of differentiation is necessary.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yes I know. I have MVS and AES hardware too. I just like calling AES "Neo Geo".