Why did SNK keep making 5v AES systems?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My understanding was that SNK added a daughterboard with a voltage regulator to early models in response to people plugging in a wrong AC adapter and frying their consoles without the regulator built in. Later AES revisions incorporated the voltage regulator circuit into the design. Why then is it still possible to find later model 3-4 and 3-5 boards that are meant to be used with regulated 5v AC adapters? Was it that the board revisions all came early enough in the Neo Geo's life that they were still figuring it out? Maybe there was a shortage of a certain part needed to make the non-5v systems?

FirebrandX's guide on this subject, for reference:

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's possible they identified particular markets (certain types of retailers) that were higher risk than others, and sent their non-5v stock there, taking a calculated risk on the remaining 5v ones.

There was a mix of 5v and non-5v in Japan. What about other markets? Was it more of a clean break to the non-5v systems in the North America and Europe?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I believe you nailed it in your initial post.There was a parts shortage and they reverted back to the 5v.Plus you have to remember that they fixed the composite issue making the 5v supply less of a non factor in the picture quality..
BB

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I believe you nailed it in your initial post.There was a parts shortage and they reverted back to the 5v.Plus you have to remember that they fixed the composite issue making the 5v supply less of a non factor in the picture quality..
BB
I didn't know there was link to the video quality.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member