Why aren't they going to call it Samurai Spirits 5?

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
Unless of course it takes place BEFORE the first game, why do they do this? They seem happy enough to churn out Metal Slug 5....

It doesn't make sense why developers decide not to number their games after a 3rd sequel. Look at Street Fighter: They finally burst the bubble after Street Fighter EX3 (The third sequel to the third spinoff of the original series), and why did Rockstar call it GTA:Vice city rather than GTA IV?

Ridiculous, if you ask me.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
Mebbe its just smart advertising/hype on their part. For some reason I find myself more excited about a title called ssZero than I probably would have ss5 even though they are the same drool_2
dunno why but I am. Title means alot.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
The Auction Sniper:

It doesn't make sense why developers decide not to number their games after a 3rd sequel. Look at Street Fighter: They finally burst the bubble after Street Fighter EX3 (The third sequel to the third spinoff of the original series), and why did Rockstar call it GTA:Vice city rather than GTA IV?

Ridiculous, if you ask me.
...... but.... they made a Samurai Shodown 4... so what's your point again? Are you focusing on games that stay on 3, or 4?

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
...... but.... they made a Samurai Shodown 4... so what's your point again? Are you focusing on games that stay on 3, or 4? </strong>[/QUOTE]

I know there is an SS4. I'm just stating that its weird why so many developers decide to give 'subnames' rather than number the series after a third sequel.

SSS

neo retired
I'm pretty sure SS 64 for the hyper would qualify as the sequel to 4.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I think it has to do with marketing...I don't think ppl would be overly geeked out for the pending releases of SS6, followed by SS7.... then SS10 etc.

After awhile it becomes that been there done that syndrome, no matter how great the game plays. Well at least to those other than the hardcore types wink

Droid

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Five and six where released on the hyper64, and number seven on PSX. Of course without numbers but there have only been four released on the neogeo, so how should one name new games? ^^;;

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Samurai Spirit games are NOT numbered.

Samurai Spirits
Shin Samurai Spirits - Haomaru Jigokuhen
Shisetsu Samurai Spirits - Bushido Retsuden
Samurai Spirits - Zankuro Musouken
Samurai Spirits - Amakusa Kourin
Samurai Spirits - Samurai Tamashii
Samurau Spirits - Asura Zanmaden
Samurai Spirits Shinshou - Kenkaku Ibunroku: Yomigaerishi Soukou no Yaiba
Samurai Spirits Zero

Moreover, I highly dubt Samurai Spirits Zero will be anything like a prequel. This is NOT 'Samurai Spirit 0'. The 'Zero' in the title is a kanji. That kanji can indeed read as 'O', but that would be 'rei' more than 'zero'.

The last 3d chapter, the PSX-only game sadly known as 'Warrior Rage II' in the west, is actually some sort of side-story more than a sequel. The title 'Samurai Spirits Shinshou' does not even always appear in the cover/spine of the game.

Thus I would assume Samurai Spirits Zero, which have some clear influence from the two Hyper64 chaprte, would possiby storywise fit just after Amakusa Kourin or maybe after Asura Zanmaden.

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Shito ]</small>

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Shito, they are in America.

But it I guess it's now clear that it's zero, not 0.

The Auction Sniper:
Unless of course it takes place BEFORE the first game, why do they do this? They seem happy enough to churn out Metal Slug 5....

SNK Playmore could have done worse...

The top 10 Titles for SS0 that I'm glad Playmore didn't think of:

10.) Samurai Showdown 2003
9.) Super Samurai Showdown
8.) Samurai Showdown ME
7.) Samurai Showdown Alpha
6.) Samurai Showdown Plus
5.) Samurai Showdown XP Pro
4.) Samurai Showdown EX
3.) Samurai Showdown B4
2.) Samurai Showdown.NET

And the #1 name that I'm so glad SNK Playmore didn't think of for SS0:

1.) Samorayee Shohdawwn!, Teh Newcummers!

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Electroman ]</small>

Parallax

Ninja Combat Warrior
The Auction Sniper:

and why did Rockstar call it GTA:Vice city rather than GTA IV?
Because vice city is like an extention to GTA3
Rockstar has plans to relaes a GTA4 next.