Who loves pinball? (moved)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
YOu can play Star trek: TNG or Twilight zone for hours on end...

It's like Guitar Hero, but there is more shit to do.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Just play Big Race USA or whatever it's called, it's way more than just a pinball game. Or Spiderman... or Black Knight... or Gorgar!! Nice pics, btw.

Play them like a vert shmup and you'll see the light... :)

Always loved pinball...

Oh, and I think Pure Pinball on Xbox is one of the best, if not THE best p release of the last 10 years.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I love pinball.

They are a bit of work to keep them in good shape and running well though.

I'm looking to part ways with my Black Knight soon because of space issues and that I don't play it much any more. Though when I do play it I have a good time. Put on some music, turn down the lights, and slap some balls round the ol' playfield. Man I need a girlfiend.

Anyone got a half decent looking sister they would trade for my pin?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Pinball tables are the only reason I still go to our local arcades.
Every machine is different -- target setups, playfield design, obstructions, mini games, general layout, playfield speed, etc.

My arcade visiting days will be over as soon as I get a couple of tables for my gameroom.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I don't really get the fascination with pinball either. It's alright, but it pretty much is the same thing on every machine.

Funny story someone told me though involving pinball.

The guy used to work for the PBA Tour (bowling) for many years and he told this story about the first time he met this one bowler named Mike Limongello. He was a real degenerate gambler from NYC...the guy would be on anything he could...he was a real big action bowler during bowling's heyday in the 1960s. He was damn near unbeatable back then.

But the first time the guy met Mike Limongello was in June of '66 in Connecticut at a PBA Tour stop. Limongello was playing pinball for $100 a game. The only catch was that all you could do was pull the plunger to shoot the ball up and that was it. You couldn't touch the machine after that. I thought that was fucking insane to do.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i have an old electro mechanical one.

flying charriots:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=901

motherfuckers from 1963.

its so boring too, theres just targets and the big attraction. TARGET ALLEY!

i still love it and its fun as hell. i've had it forever.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
I really, really wanna get a pinball machine, but am having a hell of a time finding anything locally. I did find Super Mario Pinball for ~1000 bucks, but it wasn't in the greatest shape...

(I've played pinball maybe 10 times in my life. I'm just trying to fill the void left by having no pool table in my house)

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Lemon Jello

DangerousK said:
Limongello

Made up story ;)

In any case, I like playing pins, but I'll never stand there and say that it is a new experience every time. Arcade auctions were always interesting like that though, there were always plenty of guys there just drooling over certain tables, and usually after the really deluxe arcade setups, pins were the highest priced items at the show.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I love pinball as well.

When I used to work in an arcade however, I HATED pinball b/c they're a bitch to fix. I still don't have enough know-how to own one since things break on them all the time.

Still love to play though :cool:

aria

Former Moderator
wasabi said:
fucking love pinball. I'd kill any of you for Medieval Madness in my living room right now.

I love that machine, played it a ton at Davis.

I just found out about a decent pinball place near my work, the local weekly mag resurrected the pinball category in their "Best of the Twin Cities" and the place that one is only 10 minutes away --they have Medieval Madness, Adam's Family, Ridley's Believe it or Not and about a dozen or so others.

Still, I owe the LV people a lot for introducing me to the unbridled awesomeness that is the Pinball Hall of Fame.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I always thought pinball was way cool in the arcade but didn't play it much because I suck at it. I just recently acquired my first pinball, a Bally Space Invaders, and it needs a few things so I haven't really got to play it yet. Very cool stuff though, each and every table is unique from the play style down to the art. When I have more space I can see myself picking up a couple more.

aria

Former Moderator
Nick Goracke said:
I really, really wanna get a pinball machine, but am having a hell of a time finding anything locally. I did find Super Mario Pinball for ~1000 bucks, but it wasn't in the greatest shape...

(I've played pinball maybe 10 times in my life. I'm just trying to fill the void left by having no pool table in my house)

Nick, the SS Billiards website has a bunch for sale --and it's all in Hopkins.

http://www.ssbilliards.com/sale.html

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
elvira_and_the_party_monsters-1989-f-3.jpg

aria

Former Moderator
I remember playing Elvira --it was a good one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There is something nostalgic and visceral about pinball that you don't get from video games. You can feel the vibration of the ball against the flippers, all that flashing, buzzing and bells dinging is a feast for the senses. Maybe you had to grow up in the right era, before video games, or back when the flashiness of pinball could still compete with the video graphics of the time. I respect anyone who is serious about pinball as a hobby. I personally suck at pinball, but still think it's very fun.

SSS

neo retired
wasabi said:
fucking love pinball. I'd kill any of you for Medieval Madness in my living room right now.

there's an odd little pinball shop right off rt 28 in manassas called amusement depot.

www.amusement-depot.com

he had a MINT med mad up until recently for around 7 grand. sold it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
DangerousK said:
But the first time the guy met Mike Limongello was in June of '66 in Connecticut at a PBA Tour stop. Limongello was playing pinball for $100 a game. The only catch was that all you could do was pull the plunger to shoot the ball up and that was it. You couldn't touch the machine after that. I thought that was fucking insane to do.
wait, I don't get it -- then how would he play? tilt it?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I love pinball. I would say, you either get it, or you don't. There is a surprising amount of skill in the game, but the casual pinball player would not pick up on it. It saddens me that this amusement genre is practically dead. Expensive upkeep, non-interchangeable parts, limited producton numbers, etc. etc., all makes pinball a weighty gamble for amusement centers. But damned if it isn't hours and hours of fun guiding the steel ball through bumpers, multpliers, ramps, hidden locks, etc.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
there's an odd little pinball shop right off rt 28 in manassas called amusement depot.

www.amusement-depot.com

he had a MINT med mad up until recently for around 7 grand. sold it.

I don't really want to own anything more myself (don't want to own anything more than my education right now), but I would say on that list, the best available machine is Addam Family, even though it's easy to hi-score on. Theater of Magic is also good, but I wouldn't shell out a lot for it. It does not have anything close to the demand of Medieval Madness.