Who else has gone back to consumer crts?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Never used a PVM and I never plan on it. Regular Trinitrons are fine.

That seems a bit obtuse. I've had and enjoyed a cheap consumer CRT for over 10 years. Recently I had the opportunity to buy a PVM for $25. It's now my favorite CRT display and is leaps and bounds better than the $100 consumer CRT I bought new of the same size. Why not upgrade?

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
That seems a bit obtuse. I've had and enjoyed a cheap consumer CRT for over 10 years. Recently I had the opportunity to buy a PVM for $25. It's now my favorite CRT display and is leaps and bounds better than the $100 consumer CRT I bought new of the same size. Why not upgrade?

A 25 dollar PVM is a pipedream for most people. People are always asking 100+ easily. The real question is why buy a PVM when you can still pickup various CRT's for free on CL.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
A 25 dollar PVM is a pipedream for most people. People are always asking 100+ easily. The real question is why buy a PVM when you can still pickup various CRT's for free on CL.

$100 isn't that much when you see the difference it makes. Also, there are other professional monitors besides Sony, you just have to look around. Typically, the PVM is the most well-known, so they get the most attention. If you are patient, someone will inevitably post several on ebay at one time. This is the best time to buy since the supply is high. This is how I bought a PVM for $125 shipped then later a BVM for $175 shipped.

On the other hand, I support people who prefer to stay with the CRT either way. If there were no professional monitors or they were out of my price range, I wouldn't be unhappy using an old Trinitron.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Not being an OCD weirdo is bliss. I can just convert RGB to component if I even gave a shit to do so, no need for a PVM whatsoever. Now I'm sure someone will come and tell me how much better their PVM is than component. I'm not running around chasing a ghost like most people that have nothing better to do.

And X > 2 you goofball.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

To be fair, a $100 CRT when new isn't going to be a very good set during any time period. On the other hand Trinitron consumer sets were among the highest end TV sets ever available to a consumer, there really isn't that much difference between my current Wega and my former PVM other than the fact that the Trini can't take native RGB. The PVM has a bit better sharpness and color, the Trini is bigger and has a kick ass comb filter on the composite input. It's a trade I was willing to make.

nornor1

NEST Puppet
Pvm is nice and all but but nothing wrong with a decent crt. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being 10 years old and not giving a shit about all this stuff and just enjoy the games for what they are. Didn't care if I was playing through RF on a 13" tube back then as long as I could play a game. :lolz:

LOL. this is so true. Once you find out there is better quality to be had, and you see it with your own eyes, You just go crazy trying to get that perfect picture.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Not being an OCD weirdo is bliss. I can just convert RGB to component if I even gave a shit to do so, no need for a PVM whatsoever. Now I'm sure someone will come and tell me how much better their PVM is than component. I'm not running around chasing a ghost like most people that have nothing better to do.

The fact that you aren't obsessed with video quality is totally fine, but you're making several ignorant assumptions.

comoema

n00b
Hi guys,

Question about neo geo scart cable...original one is selling for high price, I found also a cheap one, are we talking about a quality issue?Why the cheaper costs like 5-6 times less than the original one?

Thanks!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I keep my CSY-2100 rgb scart to component converter tucked away for the fateful day where I move back to a consumer set. It will be a Sony Trini though most definitely, had an FD trini years ago and it was fucking awesome.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hi guys,

Question about neo geo scart cable...original one is selling for high price, I found also a cheap one, are we talking about a quality issue?Why the cheaper costs like 5-6 times less than the original one?

Thanks!

The "original" ones are just decoration pieces nowadays, hence the price. Good quality, shielded & c-sync'ed cables are for playing purposes, hence... the price.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The fact that you aren't obsessed with video quality is totally fine, but you're making several ignorant assumptions.

yeah pro monitors in general are way better without a doubt. i love consumer sets as much as the next guy but come on.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Overscan/underscan adjustments through pots are one reason I would want a PVM.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I used to use multiple pro monitors. Among them I had a BVM20 1U. According to the internet this was suposed to be the greatest tube a gamer can own. They're really nice if you like the look you get on an LCD with an emulator. I probably sound like I'm joking but unfortunately that's really what they looked like to me. The scanlines just don't look organic. The pixels are far too blocky. The colors pop and geometry convergence is really easy to adjust so for those who don't know how to manually fix these on a consumer tube there's an advantage to using them. Also these machines are HUGE, I mean in depth they really eat up space, especially for their size...

Speaking of size, these are not really 20 inch monitors. I had measured mine and they were closer to 18~18.5 inch. A flat consumer grade Sony Trinitron measures at 21 inch flat, and that small difference is well felt in my opinion. I have since moved back to 20/24 inch consumer sets, and never looked back.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah i've noticed that with the size not being 20'' from pictures and people stating as well. The reason there is this discrepancy is that some manufacturers measure the total diagonal length, others measure the viewable area. Japan is notorious for measuring the total length, which is why many candy cabinets say 29'', but to us Americans it really is a 27'' monitor.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Yes, back to a CRT. Back to consumer models purely for the size. I don't play at a desk 4 feet away from the screen..... I never liked screens too small and these days with huge LCD/LED everything seems small.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am still trying to give away my Sony CRT. Seems no one wants them anymore.

Back on Topic - I recently picked up a PVM and now can no longer go back to a CRT.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I love my PVM, but I sit pretty close to it as I use it for corded systems. I use it for Genesis, PCE, NES,SNES, and Saturn. I still keep a nice Phillps CRT TV that I use for PS2, Gamecube, and X360. 360 is a bit of a stretch on there, but its doable.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I keep two sony trinitrons in storage for just this reason. Sometimes you just want the image to look blurry. Some of those BVMs are just too damn sharp for their own good. It's a love hate relationship, but I'm indecisive as hell, so I just keep both around.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I keep two sony trinitrons in storage for just this reason. Sometimes you just want the image to look blurry. Some of those BVMs are just too damn sharp for their own good. It's a love hate relationship, but I'm indecisive as hell, so I just keep both around.

Ive got a VGA Trinitron that I used to use for DC. Now I use it for 360 verts. Honestly those cave games on a VGA CRT look pretty amazing. One of the main reasons I want a Blast or Windy II.