Whippy's poverty tier Gaming setup

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I ordered a PSIO, and am going to have a try with it this weekend, or next week. It looks fairly simple to connect, just somewhat tedious. I don't have a whole lot of faith that it is what I want totally, but I will give some sort of insight after getting it installed. I have already been on record shit talking and hating on this thing, so I really want to hate it right away.

The PSIO is great, I have one installed in my PSX.

They are a bit of a faff to get the games working as many of them you have to convert and make CU2 sheets for but luckily the app that comes with it does all of that for you but its still time consuming.
But once you have it all setup its really great!

Whippy

Banned
The PSIO is great, I have one installed in my PSX.

I read about the conversion, and I don't think that many of my games need conversion. With you having one, do you have a need for your cd drive ever again?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I read about the conversion, and I don't think that many of my games need conversion. With you having one, do you have a need for your cd drive ever again?

Well from a technical standpoint no I dont, My entire physical collection I dumped to the SD card so my originals can sit looking pretty in their cases.
However if I wanted to my CD drive is still good so I could play from disc if I so wished.

You will be surprised how many of the games will need converting and CU2 creating.
Like I say not a major task or anything just time consuming compared to say a Everdrive or something where you just drag and drop the rom files!
Of course newer tech is a little more complicated!!

7046a1b5e17ca3641e6d2f3b90d47710.jpg

Last edited:

Whippy

Banned
Well from a technical standpoint no I dont, My entire physical collection I dumped to the SD card so my originals can sit looking pretty in their cases.
However if I wanted to my CD drive is still good so I could play from disc if I so wished.

You will be surprised how many of the games will need converting and CU2 creating.
Like I say not a major task or anything just time consuming compared to say a Everdrive or something where you just drag and drop the rom files!
Of course newer tech is a little more complicated!!

I had dumped my collection to a home NAS over the years, and it seemed like a lot of work, but still is only 30gb. I never soldered before, so thanks to Iron advice I got at the clean mod work thread I was able to get it with little issue. I never really soldered anything before. It took 45 minutes and I watched a few episodes of Tim and Eric's Awesome show while I did it. It was a total longshot, and I figured I would ruin it but it wasn't hard at all.

I used a 7501 that I got new and the drive shit the bed 5 years ago. I still have the box with matching serial numbers and most of the pack-ins.

I only have an 8gb card to use for testing right now. I am trying to learn how the bullshit works with it. I totally expected a certain amount of "enthusiast level options" which is code talk for not quite intuitive, but totally worthwhile. I played some Tony Hawk already, so on a certain level it was all worth it. Eventually I will upgrade the card to a 64gb.

Last edited:

Whippy

Banned

I ended up renaming each file to the proper game name (.bin/cu2/cue), and including cover art and making sure there is a multi-disc list file when needed. 50 individual games, cover art and some various backgrounds just over 36gb. I played the shit out of Final Fantasy Tactics last night to celebrate.