Which version would you rather play? AES vs. MVS

Teluin

New Challenger
So obviously the games are generally the same, but certain things are not.

Coins vs. continues
Cabinet vs. tv
No pause button vs a pause button
Etc.

Just curious which version people would rather play?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I've always preferred MVS no matter how you slice it:

-Can play in a stand up cab with arcade controls
-Can play in a Supergun
-Is cheaper
-Artwork that comes in the kits is interesting and practical (mini marquees)
-Pausing is not really part of arcade game experience

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
CMVS with UniBios in console mode typically. Interesting that soft dips which you can’t access in an AES still apply in AES mode.

Example: Timer settings on windjammers

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
No preference, but UniBios takes care of this issue.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
You can pause an MVS, wire up a button to #8 on the dip

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It doesn't matter, they're literally the same thing with a different pinout on the cart.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
MVS with Unibios for me.
I usually play AES mode on my CMVS and MVS mode on my cab.

Teluin

New Challenger
I actually did not know a CMVS could do that. I actually might consider buying one. Thanks guys.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The games being 100% the same, there are some minor (mis)advantages on certain games.

In AES mode, you have the full ending when beating Ryo Sakazaki in FFS. In MVS the "That's a PERFECT, Superman!" does not exist.
In Metal Slugs (X onwards) you can enable the vulcan fix. And It's stupid that you can't use the D button for example, the self destruct attack.

Viewpoint in the other hand, permits you to play in co-op mode in MVS. That option doesn't even exist in AES. And as said earlier, the time counter in Windjammers can be set differently in arcade mode. Shame that you can't touch the goal scoring in either version tho.

I remember the intro in Fatal Fury being shorter/different in the MVS mode also.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
The games being 100% the same, there are some minor (mis)advantages on certain games.

In AES mode, you have the full ending when beating Ryo Sakazaki in FFS. In MVS the "That's a PERFECT, Superman!" does not exist.
In Metal Slugs (X onwards) you can enable the vulcan fix. And It's stupid that you can't use the D button for example, the self destruct attack.

Viewpoint in the other hand, permits you to play in co-op mode in MVS. That option doesn't even exist in AES. And as said earlier, the time counter in Windjammers can be set differently in arcade mode. Shame that you can't touch the goal scoring in either version tho.

I remember the intro in Fatal Fury being shorter/different in the MVS mode also.

You can set the soft dips for windjammers and in AES mode it still carries over. Very interesting. I didn’t know any of the other variations you mentioned!

I know there is a rom revision for Magician Lord that changes how you respawn, is there any others?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You can set the soft dips for windjammers and in AES mode it still carries over. Very interesting. I didn’t know any of the other variations you mentioned!

You can't on a stock system tho ;)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Lol you've all just fed some guy who I bet makes YT vid's

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

Interesting thanks :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I play in console mode unless unlimited continues are unavailable and I want them.

I always coveted the home mode since back in the day, because of all the AES games I wished I could buy. I like friendly console options.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
MVS+Unibios=God Mode.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I play in console mode unless unlimited continues are unavailable and I want them.

I always coveted the home mode since back in the day, because of all the AES games I wished I could buy. I like friendly console options.

Yup, basically same. I just turn on the cheat for unlimited continues in the UniBios.

It’s nice to be able to change some game settings without having to go through service menus.

And it’s useful for fighting games having a versus mode that allows the winner of a match to change their character, unlike arcade mode where the winner is stuck as the character they played as

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I prefer AES mode on MVS via unibios for pretty much every reason already mentioned. My main reason is it limits the credit feed and forces you to get better.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I prefer AES mode on MVS via unibios for pretty much every reason already mentioned. My main reason is it limits the credit feed and forces you to get better.

You don't need anything else other than your will to avoid the credit feeding ;)

There are games that when I lose a single life, I reset it and start over. It feels good to get better and better.

Before I exceled on FFS, I used to find it hard on MVS setting. Then one day, I tried it on LV8. Much to my surprise, the difficulty difference wasn't that big. It felt good beating it the first time in LV8 without losing. And yet to think at first that it was a pain at LV4 already! :D

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Before I exceled on FFS, I used to find it hard on MVS setting. Than one day, I tried it on LV8. Much to my surprise, the difficulty difference wasn't that big.

I often had the feeling that the MVS difficulty can get nastier than LV8. About credit feeding: I do that always against SNK bosses in versus fighters, it leads to confrontations of biblical proportions. At the end, winning or loosing is all that counts, a great exhausting experience. Mizuki, you bitch!!!