Which Sonic The Hedgehog on the Genesis is your favorite?

Which Sonic The Hedgehog on the Genesis is your favorite?

• Total voters

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Sonic 3 let you play through each level with the different characters; I sort of liked running through as sonic, and then replaying as tails to find all the other hidden passageways.

It gets even better with the Knuckles add-on.

The ability to save was also nice.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I vote for ProlluxTroy's username to be change to ProlixTroll.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
2 is the best; 1 is my favorite.

You guys can shit on OP all you want, but at least he's trying to get some gaming discussion going. What awesome threads have the rest of you started lately?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Sonic 1 on the master system was my favourite, i know it's easy but i had a lot of fun with it back when it first came out.
I also got a soft spot for sonic spinball, it get's a bit of a bad press but i like it a lot.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,

You guys can shit on OP all you want, but at least he's trying to get some gaming discussion going. What awesome threads have the rest of you started lately?

Thanks. I love discussion about these games I either spent a lot of time with growing up or still do today.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I thought 3 was the most polished. It really gave me the impression that Sonic was a worthy competitor to the Mario series.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
I think Sonic Colors is the best Sonic game since Sonic CD. I never had a Genesis so I can't really vote on them but I did enjoy 3.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

+1 for this. 1 will always be my go-to Genny Sonic game. Honestly though for Sonic, the GG/MS versions are -much- more my jam. I spent way more time with them when I was younger, and still go to those ones before the Genesis games when I get a classic Sonic itch.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
2 is best by a landslide.

1 is great, but the gameplay is more refined in 2, and 2's soundtrack is the best out of all the Sonics.

It's too bad this song is only on 2-player mode, it kicks all kinds of ass:

Last edited:

cat

Honestly though for Sonic, the GG/MS versions are -much- more my jam.

I agree with you Danthor 100%, the MD/Genesis versions obviously look way better but my goto versions of sonic 1 and 2 are on the master system.
Sonic triple trouble on the game gear is another gem, very easy and terrible slowdown in parts but a joy to play imo.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
my goto versions of sonic 1 and 2 are on the master system.
Sonic triple trouble on the game gear is another gem, very easy and terrible slowdown in parts but a joy to play imo.

Damn right! The hours I've lost to 1 and 2 are just nutty. 2 especially, some of those Chaos Emeralds were just murder to get (The Sky High Zone's emerald still gives me flashbacks and makes me curse a LOT on replays) Triple Trouble was a lot of fun. I missed it the first time around, but when it hit the 3DS Virtual console I snagged it, and had a blast. Easy, but hella fun. Also, Sonic Chaos. Marginally less easy than triple trouble, but still so much fun to just sit down and blow through. Wish they'd put that on the VC, my cart went missing a long time ago.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If going by individual games (no Sonic 3 & Knuckles), I have to go with Sonic & Knuckles. Without the save feature, it's a lot like Sonic 1 and 2, but I found the levels more engaging and I vastly prefer the Blue Sphere special stage over the ones in Sonic 1 and 2.

Runner up is definitely Sonic 2 though. Aside from the shitty special stage, it's a great game and the 2 player mode is badass.

cat

some of those Chaos Emeralds were just murder to get (The Sky High Zone's emerald still gives me flashbacks and makes me curse a LOT on replays)

I could get them all in the first game but not the second, i got 2 brothers and we all used to play sonic 1 a lot on my youngest brothers master system, we were competative as hell on it and yours truly was the first to complete it with all the chaos emeralds, felt pretty full of myself that day lol.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If going by individual games (no Sonic 3 & Knuckles), I have to go with Sonic & Knuckles. Without the save feature, it's a lot like Sonic 1 and 2, but I found the levels more engaging and I vastly prefer the Blue Sphere special stage over the ones in Sonic 1 and 2.

Runner up is definitely Sonic 2 though. Aside from the shitty special stage, it's a great game and the 2 player mode is badass.

I like the half pipe special stages in Sonic 2. They're fun.

Actually didn't like the sphere in 3 at all. I felt like I was playing a fucked up version of snake.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Funny, I feel the opposite. The half pipe requires an irritating amount of memorization and the controls/physics don't work well. It's a pain in the ass holding the character in awkward positions on the half pipe. I also hate the times where you have to do a 360 spin around the half pipe collecting rings at a rotation speed that makes you fall before you make it all the way around.

Blue Sphere is a lot better, you have more precision in the controls and the increasing speed is quite a rush. I much prefer the rigidity of Blue Sphere over the rapid D-pad tapping of the half pipe to hold the character perfectly.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i picked sonic 1 because it's the one i play the most. but i think the first four games are equally as good.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I picked 3. That's the one I remember beating as a child and that's the one I liked the music of the most. Haven't played any sonic game in ages though.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
2 all day, it was the peak of the series :lolz:

Sonic 1 was my first sonic game and it is a great game but does not have the awesome variety of stages 2 had.
I did not like 3 I found it too slow, and the genesis was pawned off by the time that game came out so I never got to play it all that much.