Which Neo controller for fighters?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Having just gotten back into a CMVS after not having a Neo for 20 years I'm finding that I've gotten too used to modern controllers like the Xbox's & such.

So I started trying to play FoF '94 with an original style stick. I didn't pick up a pad or pro stick as I figured since I had the OG stick when I first had an AES that I should stick with it.

But after getting whooped vs the CPU on KoF '94 I'm wondering if one of the other 2 Neo controllers would be better for fighters?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like the original stick, but they sometimes need some new switches to feel good again. I'm not crazy about the buttons, but I'm not that picky about buttons in fighters.

It took me a while to get used to the stick at first. A long while, but now I wouldn't go back.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I have heard of people replacing the stock buttons with something a little more sturdy

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Hori Neo II stick is probably my favorite. I also like the old style sticks though.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I have heard of people replacing the stock buttons with something a little more sturdy

I'm not having an issue with the buttons. It's mostly I'm not used to the layout due to not playing anything with a layout like that for quite a while.

And I'm not getting a good enough feel for which direction I'm moving the stick for fighting games. It's been far too long since I had a brand new old style stick to recall if that is how it always was, or if the one I bought is a little on the loose, worn out side.

The Hori Neo II stick is probably my favorite. I also like the old style sticks though.

I'm trying to stick with original, SNK factory offered controllers. I've not had good results with aftermarket controllers over the years for various other systems. Though I don't ever recall experiencing a Hori controller of any sort. So really don't know for sure how they hold up, perform, etc.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm trying to stick with original, SNK factory offered controllers. I've not had good results with aftermarket controllers over the years for various other systems. Though I don't ever recall experiencing a Hori controller of any sort. So really don't know for sure how they hold up, perform, etc.

OK, so you've got three choices then. Narrow it down. Although Hori parts are generally crappy, I enjoy the Hori Neo stick over all of SNK's peripherals.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
OK, so you've got three choices then. Narrow it down.

That's exactly what this thread is for. So far I'm hearing OG Stick, and maybe the CD Pad. No one has said anything good about the Pro Stick yet.

Last time I had a Neo the only controller available was the OG Stick. So I've never had a chance to try out or even see in person the Pro Stick or CD Pad.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That's exactly what this thread is for. So far I'm hearing OG Stick, and maybe the CD Pad. No one has said anything good about the Pro Stick yet.

Last time I had a Neo the only controller available was the OG Stick. So I've never had a chance to try out or even see in person the Pro Stick or CD Pad.

It only gets worse after the old style stick.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It's been far too long since I had a brand new old style stick to recall if that is how it always was, or if the one I bought is a little on the loose, worn out side. [...] I'm trying to stick with original, SNK factory offered controllers.
If you got the stick used and you've got nothing to compare it to other than memory, this is going to be hard to tell. What you do know though is your preferences, so go with them. You could open your stick up, have a look inside, maybe get a new spring for the stick and lube it while you're there. Another tweak you could try would be to replace the micro switches on the stick and buttons. Using a Sanwa 30 or 35mm ball top instead of the small OEM ball is worth a try as well.

What I would recommend also is switching out the buttons for arcade ones. Easy job, big improvement. Something I haven't tried and don't really think is worth all the required hassle would be to replace the OEM stick with a Sanwa JLF... here's dubdubdubs tutorial for both these mods. You will loose some of the OEM look of course.

Although Hori parts are generally crappy, I enjoy the Hori Neo stick over all of SNK's peripherals.
signed. The Hori stick can also be modded a lot easier for a JLF.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Either the old style stick of the home console or the old Happ sticks on the big red is good for me.

neo734

n00b
If we're talking only about fighters here than I would forget about the CD pad. I love mine for sports/shooter/puzzle games (generally most 2/3 button games), but it'snot ideal for accessing all four buttons quickly enough for most fighting games imo.

The old style stick is king but contrary to popular opinion I feel that the pro stick is still a viable playable option to consider if you find one in like new condition for the right price .

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
It only gets worse after the old style stick.

I had kinda figured that the later controllers weren't built to quite the same standards to probably save money. Hence why I passed up a pair of Pro Sticks to go along with the Omega. I suppose I could still get them. But not seeing a reason to yet...

If you got the stick used and you've got nothing to compare it to other than memory, this is going to be hard to tell. What you do know though is your preferences, so go with them. You could open your stick up, have a look inside, maybe get a new spring for the stick and lube it while you're there. Another tweak you could try would be to replace the micro switches on the stick and buttons. Using a Sanwa 30 or 35mm ball top instead of the small OEM ball is worth a try as well.

What I would recommend also is switching out the buttons for arcade ones. Easy job, big improvement. Something I haven't tried and don't really think is worth all the required hassle would be to replace the OEM stick with a Sanwa JLF... here's dubdubdubs tutorial for both these mods. You will loose some of the OEM look of course.

Yeah, the old style stick I picked up from Japan was in fairly decent condition. But I don't have a new one on hand to compare it to. And the last new one I saw was 22 years ago.

I would certainly be up for replacing the micro switches on the stick and buttons. But have yet to see them listed for sale anywhere. I'm not having an issue with the ball top, now the button feel from what I can tell.

What issue I'm having is a lack of feel for exactly which direction I've got the stick in/moving. And having issues with the button layout. And I only feel I'm having issues with fighters so far. And it's making me feel like I might need to refresh the micro switches for the stick. Or possibly try a controller with a different button layout. Or just play enough games with the old style stick to get used to the button layout. I know I'm much too familiar with the Xbox & N64/Wavebird style controllers and it feels odd to be back using an old style AES stick again.

If we're talking only about fighters here than I would forget about the CD pad. I love mine for sports/shooter/puzzle games (generally most 2/3 button games), but it'snot ideal for accessing all four buttons quickly enough for most fighting games imo.

The old style stick is king but contrary to popular opinion I feel that the pro stick is still a viable playable option to consider if you find one in like new condition for the right price .

Yes, I'm only talking about controller use for fighters. And I'm not up to date on pricing yet having just gotten back into the Neo realm. What would be a good price for a Pro Stick in new or like new condition? Can they still be found new? So far the only new controllers I've come across are the Neo X ones, which aren't compatible and aren't so good from what I hear.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Not much comes close to the OG stick for overall performance and resilience.

However, if you have the coin and can bear the wait times, I highly recommend the Analogue Interactive arcade stick.

Takes a little while to break the (square gate) joystick in but after that it is all gaming bliss.

I suggest this because I can't mod anything (useless at wiring/soldering), so if you are good with that side of things maybe look at putting the Seimitsu LS-40 stick into a HORI or whatever suits.

Good luck man.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Still trying to stick to SNK controllers for now.

If I go with non-SNK controllers I'll have to look into it a lot more. I'm sure the Analogue stick is nice. And I'd pay for one if I wanted one. But wood just doesn't seem right for consoles/controllers to me. They're built stunningly well & look amazing. Just not a style that feels right to me.

I'd be fine with modding a stick. But it seems like building one of Jasen's TankStick's would be the way to go. If I did go that route I'd have to see about getting a case made that's Neo specific. I'd have no interest in running the stick on my 360. So all of the extra buttons and connections would be annoying and unneeded.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I wanna butt in and say that 24mm Seimitsu screw-ins are a perfect fit in an oldstyle, they sit perfectly flush as far as I can tell. I did bend out the legs on the switches though.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I think the Neo CD pad is ideal for non-fighting games and anything that doesn't use more than two buttons.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think the Neo CD pad is ideal for non-fighting games and anything that doesn't use more than two buttons.
I have to say this as well. Use the original modded with new buttons and new ball top to make it perfection for fighting games.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I picked up a second original stick (boxed as was the first I bought) from Japan. And while the box on the second one was in much worse shape than the first one I picked up, the stick is in better shape. The stick isn't as wore out as the first one I bought apparently was. Much better feel to it overall.

Not sure if my next move yet will be to pick up a third OG stick and try modding it. Or just have Jasen make me a custom tank stick case for Neo use only and build one myself...

Last edited:

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
going back to the old school stick is like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I picked up a second original stick (boxed as was the first I bought) from Japan. And while the box on the second one was in much worse shape than the first one I picked up, the stick is in better shape. The stick isn't as wore out as the first one I bought apparently was. Much better feel to it overall.
so what are the differences between the two? Maybe you can fix up your first one easily. For example if the stick feels wobbly, a new spring might be all you need.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Analogue Interactive stick is what i primarily use on my AES. That and the new style "bean" stick. Both are good. Old style stick is decent, but i was never a huge fan of it. I ended up selling mine for $40 earlier this year.

Basically i'd recommend the Seimitsu parts found in the AI stick. You could easily build a controller with those same parts and it'd be just as good