Which game in the Real Bout series is the best???

Hyacinth

n00b
This is my personal experience with competitive play:

RBFF1: You will see a lot of moves go unpunished; not sure if recovery is too fast or blockstun is too long. There is a ring out mechanic, and sometimes you may be winning at full health, but get throw out of the ring and lose everything then and there. Top tier characters are really troublesome to deal with, because not only they do a crapton of damage, but they will end up locking you on blockstun, push you to the corner, and whatever you do to escape may end up in you being hit and throw out of the ring. It is a very competitive game but it can be really frustrating most of the time, specially if you don't play a top tier character such as Kim or Billy.

RBFFSP: This game is beautiful, and it is more balanced, so even low-tier characters such as Tung and Chonshu can have a better chance, and the ring out has been removed but damage scale is still a problem for many characters. The new 2 line system is not suitable for every character, and sometimes it can be annoying to deal with players that like to escape to the other line and go for a "push" game where one of you will pull the other to their own line. This is bad specially if the opponent is playing Billy, he is a god character and has a very long range and can pull everyone from a very far, and you can do nothing about it unless you are playing Billy as well, for a 50/50.

RBFF2: This game is even more balanced, and I feel that just like in MoTW everyone has a decent chance chance to win. Damage scale is better, they fixed those annoying top tier characters(specially Billy), no ring out, almost everything happens in only 1 line, and the second line is just for a few mix-ups and combos. The "feint" system can be implemented into combos, and it's the only way to deal a lot of damage, but these also require a clean punish and these combos are hard!. The result is a very fun and balanced game, and this is the game I recommend if you are going for competitive play.

TL;DR: RBFF1 has terrible balance, and ring out can be frustrating. RBFFSP is better balanced but still has many issues, specially with the 2 line system; RBFF2 fixed most of the problems, it is very balanced and this is the game I recommend.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I am in the RB2 camp. The only thing it lacks in is the roster size. I actually liked the simplified plane change and the animations are top notch.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's a tough question for me, I love this part of the Fatal Fury series...

Special just edges it for me over 2... but literally by a cats whisker. Awesome games, and the original RBFF is pretty damn good too.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I guess RB2 but I do miss the stuff that they to cut out from RBS. Back in the day I played RBS the most.