which format has better quality? Vinyl or CD

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
I know what the music boards be saying, but I wanna know what NEO GEO members think.....Is vinyl, an old technology better than CD?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Weren't you supposed to be some kind of a hip hop guy and you ask something like this????

Idiot.

Vinyl every time, cd is banal trash and with the dawn of mp3's, cd's will fill garbage dumps en masse in the future.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
Weren't you supposed to be some kind of a hip hop guy and you ask something like this????

Idiot.

Vinyl every time, cd is banal trash and with the dawn of mp3's, cd's will fill garbage dumps en masse in the future.

az - awol vinyl sounds the same as it's cd counterpart...of course they were both made in 2005 so I'm sure AZ used a digital recording studio like any other rapper in the 2000's....

so i have AZ - Doe or Die album 95 vs it's cd counterpart...what i learn? yeah, it's sounds better on vinyl...if it wasn't for all that hissing, crackles, and pops all over the vinyl...i had to buy it used...95 i was just 10yrs old listening to cd's and cassettes...i didn't even know they still made vinyl when i was that old.

I got the Snoop Dogg and Dre vinyl albums new..they sound better than cd...

i don't like your tone...i understand i got a bad rep on this board but fuck you...i asked for your opinion on the formats...i didn't ask for your hating ass comment or your assumptions on wether i feel or don't feel about which is better....

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
if it wasn't for all that hissing, crackles, and pops all over the vinyl...

If you're hearing hissing and popping, either your record/needle is dirty, or your speakers are going.

I haven't bought a music cd in almost 5 years. Vinyl 100%

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
If you're hearing hissing and popping, either your record/needle is dirty, or your speakers are going.

I haven't bought a music cd in almost 5 years. Vinyl 100%

it cant be surface scratches/dust/dirt on the vinyl itself? all the vinyls I bought new don't have hiss, crackle, pop....the used ones do...

i figured it was the used ones cuz just like used cd's prior owners didn't take care of em'. Getting a new vinyl for old rap music is hard, and in AZ's doe or die's case, Impossible.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member

Idiot.

:tickled:

az - awol vinyl sounds the same as it's cd counterpart...of course they were both made in 2005 so I'm sure AZ used a digital recording studio like any other rapper in the 2000's....

so i have AZ - Doe or Die album 95 vs it's cd counterpart...what i learn? yeah, it's sounds better on vinyl...if it wasn't for all that hissing, crackles, and pops all over the vinyl...i had to buy it used...95 i was just 10yrs old listening to cd's and cassettes...i didn't even know they still made vinyl when i was that old.

I got the Snoop Dogg and Dre vinyl albums new..they sound better than cd...

i don't like your tone...i understand i got a bad rep on this board but fuck you...i asked for your opinion on the formats...i didn't ask for your hating ass comment or your assumptions on wether i feel or don't feel about which is better....

You brought any hate on yourself for being such a stupid fuck when you posted here. Crying about it now is kind of pointless since you didn't do anything to help yourself. And yes, when I saw this thread I thought the same thing that Late posted. If you're asking this after making all the claims you did about being this straight up rap mogul/gangsta, then it says even more about you.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
get a decent anti-static brush and see if it makes any difference.

it wont cure scratches though.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
:tickled:

You brought any hate on yourself for being such a stupid fuck when you posted here. Crying about it now is kind of pointless since you didn't do anything to help yourself. And yes, when I saw this thread I thought the same thing that Late posted. If you're asking this after making all the claims you did about being this straight up rap mogul/gangsta, then it says even more about you.

shit, i ain't crying...sounds like you and late over their crying....cuz everytime u come up in a thread or have my name in your mouth, u wanna cry about somethin..i tried allot of things but at the end of the day...i just gotta say to myself u love me...cuz if ya did hate me...shit, you'd ignore me.

and this rap/mogul/gangsta bullshit...

first off i never said i was gangster, i'm hood. My background was living in a poor, latino neighborhood in Houston on the eastside...that doesn't make me gangsta...

and this rap mogul type shit...yeah, i worked for some indie rap labels here in houston, Beltway 8, dope house, Wreckshop....yeah

and again, like Late..your not reading my thread, I WANNA KNOW YOUR OPINION...YOURS, NOT UR OPINION ON WHAT U THINK I KNOW ABOUT VINYL....

i mean, how hard is that? how tha fuck do u think is a dumb question to ASK U...i already know MY opinion...if you ask me, I think you boys are being idiots....and I think that because your finding any rock to throw at me and u not reliazing that rock is made up of bullshit...i mean, im ask a simple fucking question, and all you and him can think of is to try to diss me

look, keep it real, be cool, put the shitty rock down, answer the question...i wanna know if video game players who play old systems like Neo Geo think on the formats, that's all...that's all....DAMN.

ps I think mp3 is a garbage audio codec...it's bullshit quality plus i hate how it gaps beganing/end song...so if it was a mix done by a dj, now you gonna hear it

Last edited:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Depends on some factors doesn't it.

For example, Hounds of Love (kate bush) has a better mix on the original LP so imo is a superior recording of the songs, but the remastered CD reissue beats it for clarity hands down.

I think it depends a lot on what you are looking for from a recording.

I have most of my gary numan albums on LP because i can pick them up from my local charity shop whenever someone dumps theirs, they look great. I have some of the same albums on CD, i listen to those instead where possible.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It depends really, I know Vinyl is good and at the high end it'll beat a CD based system , I just can't be arsed though.

So much effort, plus its a pretty obsolete technology, I want to be able to skip to certain tracks, chuck something on in seconds, and not have to clean my media all the time. Plus I have a lossless audio collection ripped from my CD's that I can flick through with no effort or changing discs at all, and it sounds exactly the same - i.e excellent.

CD will never be dead to me , I haven't bought many recently but I still will be for the forseeable future, and if it somehow 'dies' within the next 5-10 yrs I'll just use lossless digital music through my DAC. Can't lose really.

Plus I'm pretty sure my system kicks the arse off anything using vinyl for the same price range. so. :p:make_fac:

yes base, hounds of love on CD sounds bloody fantastic

Last edited:

J. Max

judas,
shit, i ain't crying...sounds like you and late over their crying....cuz everytime u come up in a thread or have my name in your mouth, u wanna cry about somethin..i tried allot of things but at the end of the day...i just gotta say to myself u love me...cuz if ya did hate me...shit, you'd ignore me.

and this rap/mogul/gangsta bullshit...

first off i never said i was gangster, i'm hood. My background was living in a poor, latino neighborhood in Houston on the eastside...that doesn't make me gangsta...

and this rap mogul type shit...yeah, i worked for some indie rap labels here in houston, Beltway 8, dope house, Wreckshop....yeah

and again, like Late..your not reading my thread, I WANNA KNOW YOUR OPINION...YOURS, NOT UR OPINION ON WHAT U THINK I KNOW ABOUT VINYL....

i mean, how hard is that? how tha fuck do u think is a dumb question to ASK U...i already know MY opinion...if you ask me, I think you boys are being idiots....and I think that because your finding any rock to throw at me and u not reliazing that rock is made up of bullshit...i mean, im ask a simple fucking question, and all you and him can think of is to try to diss me

look, keep it real, be cool, put the shitty rock down, answer the question...i wanna know if video game players who play old systems like Neo Geo think on the formats, that's all...that's all....DAMN.

ps I think mp3 is a garbage audio codec...it's bullshit quality plus i hate how it gaps beganing/end song...so if it was a mix done by a dj, now you gonna hear it

Holy Bullshit Lie, Batman! To the War Room!!!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I thought this thread was a serious discussion :annoyed:

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
It depends really, I know Vinyl is good and at the high end it'll beat a CD based system , I just can't be arsed though.

So much effort, plus its a pretty obsolete technology, I want to be able to skip to certain tracks, chuck something on in seconds, and not have to clean my media all the time. Plus I have a lossless audio collection ripped from my CD's that I can flick through with no effort or changing discs at all, and it sounds exactly the same - i.e excellent.

CD will never be dead to me , I haven't bought many recently but I still will be for the forseeable future, and if it somehow 'dies' within the next 5-10 yrs I'll just use lossless digital music through my DAC. Can't lose really.

Plus I'm pretty sure my system kicks the arse off anything using vinyl for the same price range. so. :p:make_fac:

yes base, hounds of love on CD sounds bloody fantastic

FLAC for lyfe

aria

Former Moderator
I thought this thread was a serious discussion :annoyed:

It started as one.

Must be pre-Christmas angst.

Yes, people, your drunk aunt and her "worthless redneck husband" will be there and she will make passes at you --which will only get worse and more blatant after she casually mentions at Christmas dinner that she and her husband actually separated a month ago, but decided to show up at the party "for appearances". Oh, if only there were some kind of bleach you could pour in your ear to erase the things she whispered to you. And all this time you thought you aware of and up for just about any kinky thing... young, innocent, fool...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Vinyl in theory has better sound quality due to it being an "anolog" sound. Its softer, warmer and more natural, closer to hearing it live.
CDs MP3s etc, are digitally recorded and aren't as naturally recorded so to say.

However you need to invest a decent amount of money to get the benifit of that good warm vinyl sound. Some people claim they can always tell, but honestly most people can't tell. It depends if you are that big of an audiophile.

Lastly, MP3s are a low quality format, but they are also very small and convenient. You can do some editing with itunes even to fix the gaps in tracks, unless you are reffering to listening to them on an ipod because that is different, that is just an issue with the hard drive.

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
Vinyl in theory has better sound quality due to it being an "anolog" sound. Its softer, warmer and more natural, closer to hearing it live.
CDs MP3s etc, are digitally recorded and aren't as naturally recorded so to say.

I wonder if the analog sound is better for some recordings and not others? I always think back to AC/DC and how they recorded, even as late as 2000, onto analog tape as opposed to digital. I've always thought their analog-recorded albums sounded better on vinyl :drool:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
FLAC for lyfe

I actually use apple lossless :annoyed: but I'd use FLAC if itunes supported it for sure.

I wish airtunes supported 24bit / 192Khz as I downloaded a classical tune in FLAC the other day at that bitrate and decompressed it to a WAV, pumped it over airtunes into my DAC and it downsampled it to 16/44.1 :crying: still sounded great, but ehhh

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
I actually use apple lossless :annoyed: but I'd use FLAC if itunes supported it for sure.

I wish airtunes supported 24bit / 192Khz as I downloaded a classical tune in FLAC the other day at that bitrate and decompressed it to a WAV, pumped it over airtunes into my DAC and it downsampled it to 16/44.1 :crying: still sounded great, but ehhh

I forget which player/converter i used to use for Windows, but I remember it was incredibly comprehensive. You could load codecs for a ton of lossless formats and convert, etc. pretty freely. I think some of the intricacies could be specified too, but I don't remember.

EDIT: Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBpoweramp

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I wonder if the analog sound is better for some recordings and not others? I always think back to AC/DC and how they recorded, even as late as 2000, onto analog tape as opposed to digital. I've always thought their analog-recorded albums sounded better on vinyl :drool:

If definitely depends on how the album was recorded since so many bands take so many different approaches to recording and with nearly a century of recorded music, the technology changes as well. Generally though Vinyls will sound better, but it comes at the cost of having the set up to truly enjoy it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
vinyl wears down as you play it.

so why it may be high quality analog on the first few plays, that signal degrades rather quickly. After 100 plays you are no longer sporting such a huge advantage.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
if its a digital recording theres almost no way vinyl would sound better.

also, a big part of what sounds better is the post processing too.

music is way too subjective and whoever spent the most money thinks they're right.

im good with cds and mp3s.

after a certain age your hearing goes to shit anyway.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
On a different note, how many of you can actually tell the difference between v0 encoded mp3's and lossless?

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
vinyl wears down as you play it.

so why it may be high quality analog on the first few plays, that signal degrades rather quickly. After 100 plays you are no longer sporting such a huge advantage.

Which is also why the CED video format blew up after a few years. Great idea and good quality for the time, but it really couldn't handle that many viewings.

Personally, if I want high-quality, I'll just go with FLAC. I'm not very picky, though, so high bit-rate MP3s work fine for me.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
On a different note, how many of you can actually tell the difference between v0 encoded mp3's and lossless?

Properly encoded MP3s are coded so that the lost infromation is whatever is least audible. Sometimes the encoder screws up, however, so some metal/industrial stuff sounds like crap in MP3 (the Quake theme is a good example).