Where'd all the MVS's go?

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
To all you younger posters: As a (younger)child, I remember seeing a MVS cabinet in just about every arcade I set foot in. About 4 years ago, they all seemed to have disappeared! Has anyone else noticed this? Why has their popularity gone down so? Has SNK decided to lower the production number of english MVS games, or did the arcades just lose interest? As long as I can remember, they were probably the most played machines in arcades, whether they were 4-slots, or single, everyone loved them, hardcore neo-fan or not! Is this just an occurence in my area(north-central IL/southern WI), or are they really disappearing?

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Talking to your average arcade goer these days, you will generally get a response like, "No way man, Neo Geo? 2D suxx0r, 3D r001z!"

Seriously, a lot of people who appreciate such things have been buying the machines. I purchased a four-slot from my workplace, and we have had about a dozen calls over the last month from people asking if we would be interested in selling some of the MVS units we have deployed throughout the area.

As for me, I am currently restoring a damaged cocktail-table model one-slot.

-BioMotor_Unitron

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Actually, I believe they also migrate during the winter.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

[This message has been edited by BioMotor_Unitron (edited December 28, 2000).]

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Actually, I believe they also migrate during the winter.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

P.S. This extra post is a result of the tragedy that occurs every time an attempt is made to do some serious computing using a Crapintosh iCrap.

[This message has been edited by BioMotor_Unitron (edited December 28, 2000).]

Robi15

20 Year Member
I have to say that here in Stockholm Sweden, the arcade gamer people once again are starting too look for good 2D games. Specially the fighting games is a interesting topic. An local arcade place got KOF-99 and all the times I have been there, this maschine always has people surrounding it. Also my favorite Waku Waku 7, that stands in a another cabinet, drags people.

I asked some arcade vendors here and they all sayd that Neo Geo and 2D is goming back and that they can see an increase in the income from Neo cabinets.

2D games are faceing a bright future. If you make this fast conclusion..
smile.gif

Robi15

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Around four or five years ago here, the problem was mainly that Bust-A-Move was taking over almost every Neo cabinet one could find. I still see evidence of that invasion today.

Maxim

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah, I've noticed this also. But I also noticed that they seemed to have moved. When I go to my local arcade I dont see any, but they are at Movie Rental places, Comic stores, and at video game stores including my local import store. They have a nice 4 slot cabinet there. With KOF99,LB2,Metal SlugX, and Magical Drop 2. When I got Last Blade 2 for DC, I couldn't help but play a few rounds before I went home.
Sorry for the rambling...hehe

------------------
"Everyone's Gonna Die!!"

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I am trying to convince my local game store to put a four-slot in there, as well.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron