Where can I find (comprehensive) information on the history of SNK?

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Hello there folks!

I`m throwing this one out to the people out there who have the ability to assist me (please!)

I have to give a presentation in Japanese in 3 weeks time in my class, but it can be about any aspect in the world. You can imagine what I intend to cover from the topic heading :rolleyes: .

My question is can anyone tell me where I can read up about the history of the company through the years until now help ? (it doesn`t have to be highly detailed as the presentation plus questions only has to be roughly 20 minutes total.)

If anyone can help me on this I would be eternally appreciative as it is something I would enjoy researching and be more relaxed about presenting. I will obviously correctly credit any of the sources that I use and look forward to your replies :) .

Thanks to those who take your time to help me :) !

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
History

In 1987, the Kishimoto Building Group, a private, family-owned group of companies headquartered in Osaka, Japan, made its first real estate investments in the United States, and formed ShinNihon Kankoh California, Inc. Initially, SNK focused on direct investments in commercial income producing properties and passive investments in residential development properties in the Western United States.

Hal Watson was hired in 1990 to reorganize, expand and make SNK into a more active acquirer, developer, financier and renovator of real properties. Early during this transformation process Mr. Watson identified the opportunity presented by multifamily acquisition and development in the West. SNK initially acted as an equity sponsor for other developers in the West, investing passively in 5 such transactions. After achieving a great deal of success as a passive investor, with an average return in excess of 35%, Mr. Watson elected to pursue an even more active role. In this vein, SNK purchased its first multifamily property in December of 1991; and, in 1993 SNK began to develop its projects directly.

With success, SNK expanded its operations to their current scope. In the process, Mr. Watson added significantly to the management talent of SNK. The organization has grown from a two-person office in 1990, to a dynamic organization of over 110 employees with offices, properties and construction sites throughout the western United States.

The Kishimoto Building Group primarily acquires, develops and manages commercial and residential properties in Japan, for its own account and for a selected group of its clients. KBG owns assets and real estate service providing companies in Osaka, Tokyo and Kanazawa, Japan. As one of the most prominent commercial real estate players in Osaka, Japan's second largest city, KBG owns and controls an impressive portfolio of office, retail and other commercial space in Japan.
glad i could help wink

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
ok thanks to penny arcade here is the real shit :)

The SNK that we all know and love actually started out in 1978 as Shin Nihon Kikaku Inc. They produced a couple of arcade games during the late 70's and early 80's that no one remembers much less played. Then in 1986 they shortened their name to SNK and started making games for the Nintendo. Hit titles like Ikari Warriors and P.O.W. finally put SNK on the map.

SNK revolutionized the arcade industry in 1989 when they released the Neo-Geo Multi-Video System (MVS). The majority of arcade games are large printed circuit boards (PCB's) that hook into an arcade cabinet via a wiring standard called JAMMA (Japanese Arcade Machine Manufacturers Association). This system allows for only one game to occupy a cabinet at any time. The Neo-Geo MVS system allowed switching between multiple games in one cabinet thanks to a cartridge based system. Think of it like a big super Nintendo with as many as 6 slots for games, and the ability to switch between those games at any time. Arcade operators fell in love with the machine and pretty soon you couldn't go into an arcade, pizza parlor or laundromat without seeing a bright red SNK cabinet. Gamers also fell in love with the MVS machines thanks to hit games like King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, and Metal Slug.

High on the success that their MVS system was seeing in arcades SNK created a home version of the Neo-Geo in 1990 called the Neo-Geo Advanced Entertainment System (AES). When the system first came out it was light years beyond anything else on the market. This old advertisement compares the specs of all the systems at the time as well as their respective prices.

Click for the full image
As you can see the Neo-Geo originally sold for $650. This put it far beyond the reach of most gamers. With cartridges ranging in price from $25 to $300 the AES never shared the same success as its arcade brother the MVS. In an effort to reduce the price point of the machine SNK release a CD version of the console. Not only did the system cost less, around $200 but CD games were quite a bit cheaper to produce than cartridges. Many CD games also sported re-mixed soundtracks that took advantage of the new format. However the Neo-Geo CD was not without its shortcomings. Most games suffered from terrible load times and many popular arcade titles were altered for release on the Neo-Geo CD. Something many fans of the AES system, with its arcade perfect translations did not find to appealing. SNK tried to overcome these problems with the Neo-Geo CDZ which boasted more RAM and faster load times but they had already lost the battle for the home market. In 1997 SNK returned to the Arcade. In an effort to revitalize the Neo-Geo hardware they created the Neo-Geo Hyper 64. Built to compete with games like Virtua Fighter and Tekken, the Hyper 64 makes use of full 3D graphics. Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown both made the leap to 3D, however both games received little or no attention. It seemed that the majority of arcade goers had forgotten about SNK. Only a few other games were ever released for the system each of them meeting with the same lackluster reviews. In 1999 SNK made one final attempt to get a foot hold in the home market with its portable system the Neo-Geo pocket and pocket color (NGPC). If you ask anyone who was actually able to find one of these beauties they will probably tell you how great it is. The tiny NGPC played host to portable versions of many of SNK's greatest series. Gamers were able to take versions of King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown , Metal Slug and countless others with them wherever they went. However the system was in direct competition with the Game Boy Color. Once again SNK produced a superior machine that failed in the market.

After the failure of the NGPC and struggling with financial problems SNK finally closed its North American and European offices in June 2000. in October 2001 the Japanese divisions were closed as well. During this time SNK was purchased by a company called Aruze that specialized in making pachinko machines. Aruze made a few gambling games using SNK characters but it was obvious to everyone that they had no intention of working to revitalize the Neo-Geo brand. After their brief stint with Aruze the company was recently purchased by Playmore. Playmore is essentially the new SNK of japan however there are other companies like BrezzaSoft and Noise Factory that are also helping to fuel a Neo-Geo comeback. Click here to view a diagram of the current companies associated with the Neo-Geo. Playmore has been working very hard to revive the Neo-Geo and introduce a whole new generation to its library of fantastic titles. Older games like Metal Slug X and King of Fighters 2000 are making their way to new systems like the Playstation and the Dreamcast. Playmore is also not giving up on the MVS or AES systems. With new games coming out this year like Rage of the Dragons, Metal Slug 4 and king of Fighters 2002 the future of the Neo is looking very bright indeed.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
this is also an option:

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/488554677X/qid=1052478389/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/250-7079637-0196248" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/488554677X/qid=1052478389/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/250-7079637-0196248</a>

:)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You can find a small snippet on my site, <a href="http://www.lupa.de/ne-o-rama" target="_blank">http://www.lupa.de/ne-o-rama</a> , I have compiled a short SNK history from various posts and text files I found on ng.com and the rest of the internet. Click on the link "SNK" under General Info & Specs.

It's not really comprehensive, tho.

While I never asked for it of course, thanks to all for posting this info. This is great stuff, and I always love reading about the history of tech companies.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
<a href="http://www.rikkyo.ne.jp/esd/yoshikun/maker.html" target="_blank">http://www.rikkyo.ne.jp/esd/yoshikun/maker.html</a>

Don't just run it through a translation software. Read it in Japanese.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Thanks for the links and info folks!

Now I must ask if I have the permission to use this information in compiling data for my presentation. Of course it wont be quoted word for word and I still need to write it up in Japanese, but I seek the permission of those of you who have helped me here as I believe this is the morally correct way to do things (plus I don`t want to gain a bad reputation :) !)

Your replies would be greatly appreciated :) !

Cheers!