When was your golden age of arcades?

Which was your golden age of arcades?

• Total voters

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Most modern day arcades suck ass, pure and simple. They are filled with dancing games and other useless novelty crap.

I miss the golden days of arcades which for me was the mid-late 80's where I have fond memories; such as seeing a new cab wheeled into the arcade in the morning, later that day we would be playing the new game with an audience who in a 'round robin' style would attempt to beat it first and get to the top of the highscore table.

Arcades those days were a magical mixture of mechanical and electronic, home consoles were not as advanced back then, when something new arrived it was a big thing for us.

I grew up in a sea-side town and lived very close to a large arcade in those days, I remember sneaking out of the house after Christmas lunch in 1989 to go and play Golden Axe. :buttrock: My first job was cashier/maintenance in the very same arcade, crappy pay but I had the keys for everything! So I could take a break and play for free!

So my question is, what was your golden age of arcade gaming (You can choose more than one decade) ? Also what were your most profound memories?

For added flavor, listen to these: http://arcade.hofle.com/

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
My golden age was '84 to '94. Moved into VA Beach from neighboring city and the new neighborhood had a Putt-Putt in it within 3 or 4 blocks of the house and also had a kick ass mall arcade about the same distance -- different direction.

Good times...Putt-Putt had so many kick ass promos and always had a crowd until about '96. New games consistantly getting rotated in. Fair pricing on game plays. Pins, vids, and golf. Lock ins, super saturdays, man so many great memories there.

God, it was a kids wet dream come true.

Now it's a fucking pho noodle spot. That wrenches my heart every time I go by my folks house and have to drive past it...

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
For me it was the 90's. I had the opportunity to play in them in the late 80's as well.

I grew up in a town with no arcade but went to Rockford almost weekly to the mall, which had an Aladdin's Castle. It was always a rush to go walking up and see what new games were near the door.
For those that were in Rockford, IL in 90's. I used to go to Game Factory as well for the big showcase cab with Killer Instinct in it.

But to me that was the golden age, when fighters ruled the roost. It was fun, exciting and also nerve racking to play against someone you didn't know. Not to mention it was fun to jump in beat someone and then continue to take on all challengers until the crowd around the machine left because you beat them all into ground.

To me that what is missing in my gaming life today. That excitement and fear of challenging someone who's right next to me and not knowing the outcome. Xbox live is nice, but its lacking that intimacy.

When I walk into any arcade today people don't play games with anyone. I've challenged someone and they will walk away after its over. It doesn't matter if its fighters or racers.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
'85-'99 was my golden age. It seemed like newer games lost their magic after '00 rolled around.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
You're going to get most folks saying the 90's on NEO-GEO.com. Since I was born in 81' I wasn't really there, so to say in the 80's, but I'm glad my folks took me to arcades rather then keeping me out because of all the "gangs and drugs". The early 90's for me kicked ass. Long Island had a great arcade called Space Plex (which ended up being a mob front) but they had all of the Konami Beat em' Ups, 90's Bally/Williams Pins and during the MK boom you could walk in to 4-6 MK2 machines. For some reason SFII wasn't that big there, I played ST when it came out but nobody else did so it didn't last long there.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Early to mid-Nineties were my personal golden age for Arcades. In my home town there were Arcades cabs at places such as 7-11, Circle K, some fast food places, mini-golf parks and even local grocery stores . There were also many "indie" arcades around, they were always packed. I probably first played a Neo Big Red around '93 or '94, FF2 and SS2 were my first games. Around the mid-Nineties or so they started dying out where I lived.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Up until about 1981, the only arcade available to me was the corner liquor store with a couple cabs, starting with Asteroids, then getting stuff like Pac-Man (which is where I really started getting into it), Defender, Scramble, and Centipede. There was a laundromat that got a couple cabs, too. I can't really remember my first actual arcade experience, but it had to be some time in the early-'80s. It was probably the arcade a few doors down from a movie theater in a Marina Del Rey shopping center.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I picked 90's although, my favorite 10 year span would be around about 1987 to 1997.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
To me that what is missing in my gaming life today. That excitement and fear of challenging someone who's right next to me and not knowing the outcome. Xbox live is nice, but its lacking that intimacy.

When I walk into any arcade today people don't play games with anyone. I've challenged someone and they will walk away after its over. It doesn't matter if its fighters or racers.

The last few times I've been to Galloping Ghost... Someone will be on the Guilty Gear machine, so I'll walk up and they'll immediately go, "Oh, ok, you can have the machine, I'm done."

B.. b...but... I wanted to play with you!

baww.jpg

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
My golden age was in the early to mid 90's. I played a lot of Neo Geo and Capcom fighters. Also loved playing the deluxe version of Galaxian at the local Namco arcade.

GAMEFAN

FLTCHRR

NEST Puppet
For me it was 86 to 98. Our local swimming pool decided to add an arcade - Rolling Thunder, Ghosts 'n Goblins, and Super Mario Brothers. They would swap the games out every month or so and that's where I would spend my entire summer - I can still remember the smell of chlorine and Icees.

Throughout the 90s I got really into Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I remember the huge lines at our local arcade - they got so long that no more quarters could fit on the CP. I loved Killer Instinct - and when Mortal Kombat three came out my friends and I used to drive two hours to the only mall that had it. I made all my gaming money by compiling and selling move lists in the arcade.

I went back to my hometown arcade a few years ago and there were only redemption games left :crying:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
When you watch Tron, you see the scene at Flynn's where that place is HOPPING. I wish it was like that somewhere/sometime.

For me, the best time was early-mid 90's, when Street Fighter 2 hit. After that, I had all sorts of ass kicker fighters to play, not to mention the sweet games coming out around them such as the Simpsons and some of the "advanced" racing games, like Virtua Racing. It was a great time to be alive!

The scene got awesome as hell around 95-97. GREAT games coming out that you still couldn't do at home. But, even then... it started dying. Arcades were getting less busy. I think the last fighter I played where people actually gathered around was Tekken Tag. Then, it just... died.

I can even pin point WHEN it died. Soul Calibur coming out for Dream Cast. That shit changed everything. I remember going to the arcades and seeing people play it, and the arcade version was so inferior. I just couldn't help but be disgusted. Like an idiot, I was glad that games were getting as good as the arcade. Hell, I thought the Saturn 4 meg card was the most amazing thing on earth. I wanted more. Looks like you gotta be careful what you wish for.

So, now the arcade scene is 98% dead. Sure, you can still go to Chuck-E-Cheese and Gameworks, but for how much longer? This is sort of why I have been going the pinball route. Anyone can play games as good and better than the arcade today. But pinball... fuck emulators, you gotta HAVE pinball to be even sort of as cool. Ironic that I'm starting to collect more of a thing that's REALLY old, because the "newer" stuff is already at home, but better.

I wish I could go back in time when I was a kid. I just took arcades for granted. I guess that's why I have so many in my house, now. When I have parties and shit, and you see everyone playing the games - Man.... it's a hell of a nostalgic feeling. Seeing kids and adults all playing the games, laughing and what not.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
As much as I loved and played the hell out of fighters...

I'd give it up to 85' to 92'.

Walking into your favorite arcades and seeing the variety of genres/themes. The relatively "fast" pace of new games coming in every month, sometimes every week. Crowding around that new machine to get a turn. An atmosphere and feeling long gone.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The last few times I've been to Galloping Ghost... Someone will be on the Guilty Gear machine, so I'll walk up and they'll immediately go, "Oh, ok, you can have the machine, I'm done."

B.. b...but... I wanted to play with you!

Yep, that's exactly my point.

We will have to hit up Galloping Ghost sometime together. I'm no good at Guilty Gear but I'll play whatever.

I think the last fighter I played where people actually gathered around was Tekken Tag. Then, it just... died.

I can even pin point WHEN it died. Soul Calibur coming out for Dream Cast. That shit changed everything.

I would agree. Tekken Tag was the last game, I really remember there being a competition on at Alladin's in Cherryvale.

Soul Calibur really did change everything. You still had some of the naomi stuff coming out which was cool cause most of that stuff couldn't be done at home like HOTD2, 18Wheeler...but it was also about that time I noticed machines not being fixed at all. A sticky joystick or a bad button would be fucked for months. And it woudln't take long before you just gave up cause you knew shit was broken.

SSS

neo retired
90-95

Konami xmen, captain America and the avenger

Later games like Sam sho, xmen cota. Even crap games like primal rage were fun.

I even remember the exact retail location of my favorite arcade growing up. I think it's either a restaurant or mattress store now. :crying:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
We will have to hit up Galloping Ghost sometime together. I'm no good at Guilty Gear but I'll play whatever.

He's getting an impressive list of fighters up there. 3S, MvC, MvC2, Melty Blood, Rival Schools, Garou, KoF XI....

Of course there's a ton of great classics and non-fighters, too. :)

For Soul Calibur 2... my buddies in Florida and I would drive to play the machine - despite having it for all of the systems at the time. Arcade sticks for the PS2 sucked. :\

GGXXAC... I wanted on Arcade, and the PS2 port of AC+ is OK.... but I keep holding out in expectation of a new generation Guilty Gear game. And it keeps getting announced that Arc is definitely going to make one.

I've even collected all 7 Guilty Gear arcade titles and waited for Shen Long (or Zato - whatever) to appear and grant me one wish. It hasn't happened... yet.

Mike26

McWow,
arcades? golden age? :scratch:

well, we had this: http://www.andysarcade.net/personal/polyplay/polyplay.htm

saw a cowboys of moo mesa and a few other games when my family and me spent a day at vandland (in Aarhus, iirc) back in 1995, if that counts.

Hahahaha i cant stop laughing at this guy's review of one of the games:

Schmetterlinge (Butterflies)
How weird is this? you appear to play a black man in dungarees who catches different colour/patterned butterflies for a living. The net action is so appallingly animated, that is very hard to judge how to catch them. Its an easy game though. I'm still scared by the notion of an overweight gay black man catching butterflies.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
From 85-95. First one I played was Pac-Man in the toy store but then Atari got it on their console. For awhile the arcade variety branched out and all kinds of gameplay were represented, even virtual reality stuff. But thanks to SF2, around 94 or 95 the vs. fighting clearly beat out every other genre, so the other types started to disappear. It's pretty much fighters or bust from there.

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Earliest time I remember playing an arcade game was going to watch "The land before time" with my sisters and grandma. The game was Ghosts and Goblins and needless to say it took all of a 1 minute to waste a quarter. Then growing up in Michigan, we had a mall called Summit Place Mall that had a decent arcade in it with all types of pins and cabs. What really got me going was going to Little Ceasars Funhouse in Keego Harbor Michigan and trying out Street Fighter 2 for the first time. Oh memories, as far as Neo Geo firsts was when I was in a school program for the summer attending Oakland University and I had some down time and me and a buddy hit up the 4 slot and played Samuari Shodown 2 for awhile. :buttrock:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
definitely 90's for me but the 80's got me started and the 00's were awesome as that's when I got extra serious about my fighters.