When was the moment you realized you were old...

Shin Tin

n00b
Realised I was old when I got back into skateboarding over the summer, I was old enough to be half the kids at the skateparks father. One day I tried to do a trick down four stairs. It took me a hour and a half of constant attempts, then when I finally landed it I instantly packed up my stuff and went home and proceeded to barely be able to move for 2 weeks. It's pish how long it takes to recover from exercise when your in your thirties!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm 35 and don't feel old at all. I guess because I am not. One thing I have learned over the years working in an emergency room, is some people live over 100. It's all about how you take care of yourself.

I do however notice hangovers to get worse as the years go by. I use to drink a 5th of hard liquor, or when younger my friends and myself would do dumb shit, like split a bottle of 151 between 2 people, drink it straight out of the bottle, and chase it with a carton of orange juice. Then there were the bonging of 151 mixed drinks, normally followed by gravity bongs in the bathtub, followed by WCW NWO Revenge on N64, and watching WCW back when it was cool.

Now I buy a 6 pack of Newcastle, drink 4 and want to go to sleep. More than 6 and I get a hangover for two days. Not sure if I am really getting old, or my tolerance went down from dropping drinking to only a few times a year.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When you start comparing the women you fuck to your taste in Star Wars movies.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
For the Dutchies: When I get called "U". It's a polite form people usually use for older people. Comparable to the German Sie.

But if I feel old? Well, this year I'm turning 30 so I guess it makes me an adult.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Got grey patches on my temples and chin now.

I don't even have to look for them. They're fairly visible, and it serves as a constant reminder that I'll probably end up like my half crazy grandfather.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just last year when I had a couple of gray hairs pop up all the sudden. That's how I know.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
When I started to say "this is the first time that (something) happens to me", referred mainly to health problems.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hm, I don't really feel old but am often reminded of the fact that I'm nearing 30 fast...

I felt old after a younger co-worker was talking about Nirvana. Saying how he was only 6 or 7 when Cobain died and how he missed out on when he was alive and the band of going.
I get that with 9/11. It's just another historic event for some people I hang out with.

Comparable to the German Sie.
Happens to me sometimes as well... but it's connected to what I wear and where I'm at, so I'm not that concerened... yet.

Other instances:
- loosing lots of hair (it doesn't even turn gray first).
- "emo" having become a label for "scene" bullshit beyond redemtion.
- feeling like there isn't anymore inventions in the music genres I used to like and turning to others.
- lots of "been there, done that" moments where I can't get excited for something a lot of my younger friends are into.
- worst of all having to worry about the future... graduating from university, getting a real job... having kids? FUCK.

//EDIT: Have I GregNed this yet?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hm, I don't really feel old but am often reminded of the fact that I'm nearing 30 fast...

I get that with 9/11. It's just another historic event for some people I hang out with.

Happens to me sometimes as well... but it's connected to what I wear and where I'm at, so I'm not that concerened... yet.

Other instances:
- loosing lots of hair (it doesn't even turn gray first).
- "emo" having become a label for "scene" bullshit beyond redemtion.
- feeling like there isn't anymore inventions in the music genres I used to like and turning to others.
- lots of "been there, done that" moments where I can't get excited for something a lot of my younger friends are into.
- worst of all having to worry about the future... graduating from university, getting a real job... having kids? FUCK.

//EDIT: Have I GregNed this yet?

9-11 is a huge point of reference for me. When the "where were you" conversation pops up...I'm hearing more and more "Well, I was in grade school/Jr. High...." comments.

I was working on a job site wrapping up final prints...

That makes me feel old...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If I want some new (to me) music to listen to I always look backwards now, a couple of decades minimum, rather than current day. I think that's an older person thing to do.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If I want some new (to me) music to listen to I always look backwards now, a couple of decades minimum, rather than current day. I think that's an older person thing to do.

I did the same thing.

I dismissed the 60/70/80s when I was a kid, focused on the "grunge" movement of the time.

Around 2000 or so I began looking back at bands I ignored.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Was watching xmas top of the pops 6 years ago with my then 8 and 10 year old kids, and i genuinely hand on heart didn't know one of the acts.
I started to grumble at how bloody shit i though they all were when it hit me, fuck i sound like my father back when i used to watch xmas top of the pops as a kid, cue blood curdling scream, and a bottle of JD's to calm me down.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
when your eldest kid is taller than you and more awesome than you (both admitedly no too hard to achieve)
oh and when you become a cynical fucker. stopped caring about things I used to hold dear.