When should a nation annex another

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The subject of China’s desire to absorb Taiwan has made me wonder if there are arguments for this happening.

Typically, I would see this like adopting a child. Does the child need help? Adopt until the child does not. Does the child want to be adopted? Adopt. But outside of that, it becomes a matter of modern enslavement.

China has expressed their one China policy, but what is overlooked is that many subsections of this One China have, or had, distinct cultures, languages, cuisine, and haplotypes. Yes, even some of the genetics were distinct. Were. As in past tense. The One China policy is and was multiple acts of genocide on many different peoples. Currently we see it with the Uighur. And no, genocide is not simply the packing into box cars and herd to gas showers; it’s a complex array of acts that are performed with the intent of minimizing a group of people to the point of oblivion.

Other examples of annexation, to no benefit of the indigenous or established inhabitants would be Crimea being annexed by Russia. The vote wasn’t by the local tatars, or the Ukrainians, but by insurgent Russian transplants. The annexation was not for the benefit of the people.

Another recently controversial annexation was Azerbaijan’s of Artsakh, where sure, Azerbaijan can claim they used to own it, but it was autonomous and didn’t need Azerbaijan to take it. The people who live there now have a few years to GTFO.

And of course we still have problems with Israel’s annexation of Palestinian Territories, razing populated villages, or mortaring populated areas to drive out the people, while claiming Hamas or Iran made them do it. The imbalance of damages and death is unreal. Israel has every right to self defense, but in what court do we see self defense as an unexaminable absolute defense? We don’t.

So which annexations are allowed? Is this simply a matter of tribalism, where if you are aligned with the annexing tribe it is okay?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm in the belly of the beast.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
If one nation has a surplus of peanut butter, but is jelly deficit, it is acceptable to annex a weaker, jam-rich nation in order that sandwich filling uniformity can be maintained. Of course, people who don't like PBJ at all will have to be purged for the greater good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If one nation has a surplus of peanut butter, but is jelly deficit, it is acceptable to annex a weaker, jam-rich nation in order that sandwich filling uniformity can be maintained. Of course, people who don't like PBJ at all will have to be purged for the greater good.
Are you asking if the Vietnam war was legitimate, when reframed around the rubber industry?

@M

20 Year Member
Pretty sure my post was a statement, not a question, about the ethics of obtaining sandwich filling, not Vietnam or rubber, but, I only wrote it, what the fook do I know?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always been under the impression that China's ethnic minorities were not subject to the one China Policy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always been under the impression that China's ethnic minorities were not subject to the one China Policy.
You mean like Tibetans, who were forced to kowtow to their Han overlords? One China has been not only Taiwan, but an excuse for China to seize any territory it deems Chinese.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
It’s all good until you get the short end of the stick ... some where deep down people of North Korea want to be adopted

Ps no country should be annex , Everything it’s good if they have the same ideology just don’t want the odd one to wrecking their sphere of influence :unsure:. Also the last of the Apple daily( newspaper) get printed in Hong-Kong and it sold out forever .

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's called Imperialism.... You annex whenever you think you can get away with it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
The answer to the question: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm putting bubblegum in Canada's hair and taking all the maple syrup

@M

20 Year Member
Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm in the belly of the beast.
Are you going to blast or cut your way out of its' guts or go all Geppetto and just resign yourself to your fate and live in there until Pinocchio comes and saves you? I think I can trick it into swallowing a Spread Gun if you're unarmed.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You mean like Tibetans, who were forced to kowtow to their Han overlords? One China has been not only Taiwan, but an excuse for China to seize any territory it deems Chinese.
For some reason, I confused the one child with one china.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
One of the first things I would do as President is address Taiwan as a nation. We just need to rip that bandaid off.
NeoSneth 20XX for President

That’s great, but please also cut out our allies who are authoritarian regimeS, dictatorships, or theocracies.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In high school I really liked that 1999 film version of Titus Andronicus starring Anthony Hopkins.

I probably haven’t watched it in almost 20 years.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That’s great, but please also cut out our allies who are authoritarian regimeS, dictatorships, or theocracies.
Our government is pretty close to a theocracy at times. Biden thanks God every chance he gets. It sure as hell isn't secular.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
But are concentration camps even literal? It’s not like you have to have ADHD to be sent there.

• Haha
Reactions: wyo