What's your least favorite console generation?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Not sure if it counts as a specific generation, but I hated all that Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari and Commodore "Home Computer" shit we put up with in the UK in the early 80's.

They were, for us, the machines that superseded the whole 2600/Colecovision/Intellivision phase, prior to the NES & SMS taking proper hold.

I had a 2600 growing up and then "advanced" to a Commodore 64 with cassette tapes. Piece of shit btw.

Then the whole Amiga 500 & Atari ST era kicked in shortly afterwards. Now, to be fair, the A500 DID blow me away at the time, being able to play stuff like IK+, NARC, Ninja Gaiden Arcade etc at home, with those graphics PRE MD & SNES era... was impressive.

But my beef isn't with the Amiga etc. That was alright.

That pre-16 bit (i.e. the 8-bit) home computer period was utter shite. Not too bad NOW with the modern upgrades such as the use of flash cards etc, but if we appreciate it at the time it occurred, it was horrible. SMS, NES then MD & SNES couldn't get here soon enough for me. I never looked back after that. Ever.

As for 8-bit home computers I recall having an Atari 130XE and my memories of it are somewhat better - I found it pretty much ok for its time. Granted, graphics and sound where somewhat primitive but the games library was pretty decent – River Raid, Donkey Kong, Missile Command, Centipede, Preliminary Monty, Miner 2049, Kickstart various sports games (mainly tennis and basketball games, however don’t remember the actual titles) + many others. The main outright con for me was the long loading times and general uncertainty that after waiting a game would actually load correctly – the joy of using cassette tapes (a disk drive was available AFAIR costs were on the prohibitive side).
But yeah, the jump form 8-bit home computers to the NES /SMS was pretty profound both in terms of graphics but even more so in terms of quality of gameplay, complexity, story line etc. Obviously 16-bit systems took things to yet another level.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I will say that Metal Gear Solid highhandedly set the PS1 in "god mode" for me. When it was new, that game took the term "epic" to a whole new level. Never had I been so sucked into a game in my life.

it really sucks knowing there'll never be another 'Metal Gear Solid' for me. it doesn't matter how epic or cool games are nowadays, they just don't have my attention anymore.

damn. that feeling's sinking in now. i'll never have an MGS experience again. shit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
it really sucks knowing there'll never be another 'Metal Gear Solid' for me. it doesn't matter how epic or cool games are nowadays, they just don't have my attention anymore.

damn. that feeling's sinking in now. i'll never have an MGS experience again. shit.

Yeah...life is like that, you only get to do something for the first time once. MGS was simply a next level type of experience, never before had I played a game like that. now that I have...it's all "been there, done that.". Besides, I feel Metal Gear kinds jumped the shark a bit, I didn't like 4 at all...

I don't care for these past two generations at all.

For the most part...neither do I. I don't think its a single reason causing that...but rather a series of things added together.

I still enjoy gaming, I still play my oder stuff from time to time and really enjoy it. Hell, I was playing Turtles in Time with my 6 year old a few days ago...and loved the shit out of it.

I also popped in Fallout New Vegas a few weeks ago and was enjoying it...when the motherfucker wasn't crashing left and right. When it flakes out it reminds me how much this modern console shit pisses me off...

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Whare are all the good J-Shumps on the 360 and not the PS3?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Whare are all the good J-Shumps on the 360 and not the PS3?

Sony isn't very pro 2d? Maybe MS made cave a sweet exclusivity deal? Dunno.

Often, I've wondered this myself.

The triple has some...UnderDefeat HD, and Raiden IV Overkill...not to mention great PSN stuff, like ZanacXZanac for six bucks!

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
MGS was amazing...the fight with Psycho Mantis will never be replicated...anywhere. Again, gameplay is not graphics and vice versa. Maybe it's Kojima....that guy is a god. Anybody here a big Zone of Enders fan?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, it is official. I just watched my GF's brother spend hours and hours trying to install a new purchase.

Current is worst generation ever.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
MGS was amazing...the fight with Psycho Mantis will never be replicated...anywhere. Again, gameplay is not graphics and vice versa. Maybe it's Kojima....that guy is a god. Anybody here a big Zone of Enders fan?

I also loved the Sniper Wolf fight...that was a good one...

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Anything pre-NES is clunky and mostly boring to me. I also have no use for most handheld games before the PSP and DS.

The 32-bit / N64 era was fun back in the day. Outside of a lot of the Saturn's 2D library, it's painful for me to look at or play 90% of it anymore as well.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Not counting the Atari/Pong days, I'd say the 32/64 bit generation.

Way way way too many growing pains that I can't deal with anymore:

-failed add-ons (Segas false starts with their 32x)
-bad cameras
-long load times
-crappy first time 3D remakes of beloved 2D games
-disappearing game companies
-bad voice acting
-gimmicky polygon effects
-overly ambitous ideas horribly translated to underpowered systems

etc. etc.

So many were trying to go 3D and lost a ton of money and going under as a consequence. Although the PS1 had it's gems, it also had a laundry list of turds that no amount of polishing could redeem. Saturn ... forget it. I know some good arcade ports and exclusive 2D games came out in Japan, but the US got screwed. We didn't get half those games and many were obscure. In fact, in 2014, there's probably better ways to play these games now (collections on PS2, Xbox Live Arcade, etc). The N64 had about 5 games worth playing, and they were amazing, but for the most part, it seemed like you'd have to wait months and months in between releases and this console signaled the beginning of the end of real 3rd party support. From that system forward, it became a Nintendo player with some 3rd party support.

There were plenty of bright spots and it set the stage for the next generation (Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox were all fine systems), but it was hell getting there.

Last edited:

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
I grew up in the 80's, and I loved video games, especially the 8-bit and 16-bit era that I first experienced :) I never had any gaming systems myself though, my parents thought I should play outside ;D So when the N64 and PS1 arrived I didn't encounter gaming much since most kids my age started "hanging out" instead of sitting at home gaming. Once the PS2 was released I got into gaming myself again, I started earning my own money and buying all the games I didn't get as a kid. Therefore, today when looking back at the awkward 3D phase that is N64/PS1/Jaguar and also Saturn (except for the wonderful 2D games that were on that system) I would say that that console generation is my least favorite.. it's just so ugly in my eyes >_< I prefer pretty pixels to polygons ^_^

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I guess for me the worst generation of consoles was the 5th followed rather close by the sixth.

Most of the consoles had a few games that were great, but most were not worth owning. Well, at least to me.
At the time I had a Playstation. There were a few games that I really liked but mostly I found very little that I cared about. I bought my brother an N64 when those came out for his birthday, and I really did not care for that system at all. He really liked it though.

I figure that was about the generation that I stopped being in the target audience for video gaming. Once the 3do, Saturn, and Jaguar all went on discount at the local stores I picked up each. I had only the game that came with the Saturn, can't even remember what it was now. There was nothing to be had around here when it died off, there was very little to be bought when it was going strong.. if it ever could have been considered to be going strong around here. Ended up trading it to someone before I ever got any other games for it.

I had a lot of 3do games I got for cheap, I can't think of any that I would want to go back and play today. I liked some of the stuff at the time but not enough to make the system worth keeping. My favorite game was the party game that came with it, followed by a good version of Space Hulk. I had about 30ish games for that I got from a guy when I traded him a fish tank.

Picked up a Jaguar and Cd setup from a pawn shop. I traded in a big old laser printer that I got from work when they upgraded. I had about 10 games for that. Again nothing much on it that I cared for aside from Tempest 2000.

I'm actually looking into getting a Saturn setup going now to play some stuff that I didn't know existed back then. Here where I live there was very few places that carried anything other than the most popular and mainstream stuff. So if it wasn't for sale at Wal Mart then you had to drive to the next big city in the next state over as that was the closest place to go looking for something.

Next generation, I hated the PS2 - never so much as found one game on it that I wanted to play. The xbox I bought, but it basically became a networked halo box for when friends would get together, again no other game on it that I cared about. Loved the Dreamcast, hated the stupid controller setup with backwards cord, vmu, memory card, rumble pack crap. Then the Game Cube, my brother had that, he liked it, but I didn't much care for it.